Post a reply

Paul Hunter: Three years on...

Postby Tubberlad

It's hard to believe that this day next week will mark the third anniversary of Paul Hunter's death.

Although he has passed on, our memories of Paul remain vivid. Not only was he massively talented, but his wonderful character and attitude lit up the snooker tour.

His marvelous comebacks in the Masters finals of 2001, 2002 & 2004 were the stuff of legend. Anyone claiming that Ronnie O'Sullivan's mind is the only thing that can stop him need only look at Hunter's 10-9 win over the rocket in the wonderful 2004 final to see this isn't true. Hunter found himself 7-2 down to the man who would be crowned World Champion later that year, but thanks to his 'Plan B' he produced 5 centuries and took the crown for the third time at the arena that felt his presence so often.

His antics with Lyndsey Fell at the intervals of these Masters final saw him claim many a remarkable victory, and his loveable attitude saw him become a crowd favourite.

Hunter wasn't just a great character though. He was a very, very fine player who I have little doubt would have gone on to claim the World Title by now, had fate not intervened so cruelly. In 2003 he was on course for a final spot with Mark Williams, before he saw his 15-9 lead over Ken Doherty clawed back to a 17-16 loss. It wasn't to be. Hunter's demeanour after the match was typical of the man. Naturally disappointed, but acknowleding his opponent and takig defeat admirably. It was a massive disappointment, but there would be plenty more chances....

In 2004 he entered as second favourite, but yet again he was on the receiving end of another fine comeback in the second rounf, this time to his closest friend, Matthew Stevens. Again, Hunter's attitude was exceptional. He had suffered another crushing defeat, but he still found the time to hug his mate. And again, we believed, there would be plenty more chances.

2004/05 wasn't going so well for the gifted Leeds potter. But whatever was happening on the table paled into insignificance after the 2005 China Open. Hunter had been diagnosed with cancer. The news shocked the snooker world, but being the battler he was, most people expected him to get through it.

Doubts were cast over his participation at the Crucible in April of that year. But Hunter showed remarkable courage and nearly pulled off a win over Michael Holt before going down 10-8. He had lost nothing though, only gaining in popularity.

His UK Championship match with Jamie Burnett later that year is one I'll never forget. It was a marathon, and Hunter was clearly in pain. He found himself 6-8 down to the Glaswegian, but somehow took the game 9-8. You could only admire him and the reaction in the crowd was moving.

It would be his last win. Having won the right to have his ranking frozen for the season, Hunter took a year out to concentrate on his crushing battle with cancer. Things werent going that well, but the birth of his first daughter, Evie Rose, gave him heart.

It wasn't to be though. I'll never forget checking RTE's teletext that morning and reading the headline 'Hendry pays tribute to Hunter'. That was it. A player destined for great things, who had everything going for him...had gone.

We must never forget Hunter, that goes without saying. We must always think of his friends and family. World Snooker's refusal to name the Masters trophy after him, in spite of nearly everyone being in favour, shows just how far from the people's consciousnesses they are. Some scholarship and the German Open is too little to honour this great, great individual.

World Snooker may not have given him his dues, but we must. Hats off to Paul Hunter. Gone, but never to be forgotten. His spirit lives on in in his family, and every true snooker fan

Re: Paul Hunter: Three years on...

Postby Rocket_ron

yes tubbs he will be sadly missed, i think back now and wish he won that semi final at the world again ken doherty, he would have been would champion that year. Infact if i was ken i would feel guilt.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:yes tubbs he will be sadly missed, i think back now and wish he won that semi final at the world again ken doherty, he would have been would champion that year. Infact if i was ken i would feel guilt.

why should ken feel guilt ?

should Ray Reardon feel guilt for denying Eddie Charlton a World Title ?

should Northern Ireland feel guilt George Best never played in a World Cup ?

they pro sportsmen that what happens some you win some you lose.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:yes tubbs he will be sadly missed, i think back now and wish he won that semi final at the world again ken doherty, he would have been would champion that year. Infact if i was ken i would feel guilt.

why should ken feel guilt ?

should Ray Reardon feel guilt for denying Eddie Charlton a World Title ?

should Northern Ireland feel guilt George Best never played in a World Cup ?

they pro sportsmen that what happens some you win some you lose.

Yeah. Is Ken supposed to have deliberately lost to every player, in case one day they get cancer and die? I'm sure, after Paul's tragic death, he didn't go round bragging "Yeah, remember that time I beat him from a long way down?" But how many times did Paul Hunter do that in finals? Ken didn't do anything wrong.

Postby Roland

It's a ridiculous statement but let's not dwell on it, after all Williams had that tournament from day 1 and nothing would've stopped him.

Postby Rocket_ron

rocket_ron wrote:if i was ken i would feel guilt.

notice i said "If i was ken" meaning if it was me i would feel abit bad. NOWHERE have i said ken SHOULD feel guilty
Last edited by Rocket_ron on 12 Feb 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Rocket_ron

N_Castle07 wrote:My god what a ridiculous comment.

so are you telling me that if you beat one of your best mates and prevented them forfilling their protential, then next year they died of cancer. you wouldn't think about it? it wouldn't play on your mind? because it would mine.

Postby Roland

Wouldn't play on my mind and I doubt other players minds especially as he wasn't ill in that match. You could see the players facing him during his last season were uncomfortable but they had to be professional and play him properly.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Wouldn't play on my mind and I doubt other players minds especially as he wasn't ill in that match. You could see the players facing him during his last season were uncomfortable but they had to be professional and play him properly.

It's even a matter of respect to play him properly. Paul was a professional himself and certainly wouldn't have wanted anything else. Not to mention that pity can be extremely hard to endure... especially when taking such ill advised form.
Last edited by Monique on 12 Feb 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Casey

Guilt for what? Beating him in a snooker match? it wouldn't have prevented him from dying, am I missing something here? :roll: :roll:

Postby Lucky

rocket_ron wrote:

so are you telling me that if you beat one of your best mates and prevented them forfilling their protential, then next year they died of cancer. you wouldn't think about it? it wouldn't play on your mind? because it would mine.

Then the sport would cease to exsist, no-one knows whats round the corner, so you can't not beat anyone.....incase they die in the immediate future. Even on his death bed, Hunter would have wanted his opponents to give him 100% effort, he would of been unhappy with anything else <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

Lucky balls wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

Then the sport would cease to exsist, no-one knows whats round the corner, so you can't not beat anyone.....incase they die in the immediate future. Even on his death bed, Hunter would have wanted his opponents to give him 100% effort, he would of been unhappy with anything else <ok>

well i suposse your right there lucky. im only saying how i would feel personally. i'm sorry i brought it up

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:Wouldn't play on my mind and I doubt other players minds especially as he wasn't ill in that match. You could see the players facing him during his last season were uncomfortable but they had to be professional and play him properly.

It's even a matter of respect to play him properly. Paul was a professional himself and certainly wouldn't have wanted anything else. Not to mention that pity can be extremely hard to endure... especially when taking such advised form.

the last man to play him at the Crucible was Neil Robertson and he beat him 10-5 when he was ill 6 months later Paul died.

the list goes on and on and on should neil feel guilt as well. players has to be professional like mon said...you respected him by beating him not feeling guilty for doing it.

Postby GJ

to be honest i felt bad watching that match paul looked so unwell :-(

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:to be honest i felt bad watching that match paul looked so unwell :-(

yeh he did look ill but you never thought he would die so shortly afterwards :-( .
Last edited by Wildey on 12 Feb 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

........................................................................................