Post a reply

Stephen Lee arrested for match fixing allegations

Postby Roland

SNOOKER ace Stephen Lee was arrested yesterday by police investigating suspected match fixing.

The dad of four, 35, was believed to have been held as part of a joint operation with the Gambling Commission, probing bets placed on him to lose.

It makes him the latest in a string of top-flight players to be investigated over unusual betting patterns.

It left the sport stunned last night. BBC pundit and ex-world champ Ken Doherty, 40, said: "It's a huge surprise. There's never been any rumours surrounding him."

Snooker legend Jimmy White, 47, said: "I'm in total shock."

Lee's agent Paul Mount said: "He's been putting in a lot of practice. The last thing he'd be doing is throwing matches."

Lee was once ranked world No5 but is now 25th, making just £50,000 prize money last year. In 2000, he had to return £7,500 winnings after testing positive for marijuana.

Cops were believed to have arrested Lee at home in Trowbridge, Wilts, at lunchtime. Yesterday a man answering the door said: "Stephen won't be back until tomorrow."

A West Midlands Police spokesman said: "A 35-year-old man from Wiltshire was arrested this morning on suspicion of cheating."

Last year Stephen Maguire, 28, and Jamie Burnett, 34, were quizzed on alleged fixing of a UK Championship game in Telford, Shrops. Aussie Quinten Hann, 32, was banned from the sport for eight years in 2006 over a match-fixing scandal rumbled by The Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -quiz.html

(All comments about his body mass will be removed :santa: )

Re: Stephen Lee arrested for match fixing allegations

Postby Roland

"It makes him the latest in a string of top-flight players to be investigated over unusual betting patterns."

Bloody tabloid journalism making it sound like something it's not.

Postby GJ

is stephen from the bristol area as it really paints that area in a bad light this story ;)

who is the snooker fan on here who lives in bristol cant think of his name :chin:

Postby GJ

N_Castle07 wrote:Oh no not again. I bet this is dragged out for ages and he gets away with it for lack of evidence. If it is true Hearn should make an example out of him.

i think hearn will get it dealt with quickly and ban bristol's lee if he is guilty

Postby Lucky

All bookmakers are on a national database now like insurance and what not, any irregularities will stick out like a sore thumb, in this day and age of shared information, world wide. The chances of anyone getting away with a large scale scam are slim (pardon the pun sonny ;) ) Of course spotting that its occurring and bringing a conviction are two very different things. And snooker fans (especially one from the valleys) are quick to insist that the sport is clean until a conviction is brought, unfortunately in these cases there is rarely smoke without fire <ok>

Postby GJ

Lucky balls wrote:All bookmakers are on a national database now like insurance and what not, any irregularities will stick out like a sore thumb, in this day and age of shared information, world wide. The chances of anyone getting away with a large scale scam are slim (pardon the pun sonny ;) ) Of course spotting that its occurring and bringing a conviction are two very different things. And snooker fans (especially one from the valleys) are quick to insist that the sport is clean until a conviction is brought, unfortunately in these cases there is rarely smoke without fire <ok>

i agree

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

The easiest thing to do is have him down as guilty straight away. You don't know, it could be a disgruntled bookie or someone with influence that has made this happen. Lets see what the fall out of this is. He hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

One things for sure, I hope its looked into, investigated & not dragged on & on with such previous enquiries & cleared up soon.

Postby Bourne

Lucky balls wrote:All bookmakers are on a national database now like insurance and what not, any irregularities will stick out like a sore thumb, in this day and age of shared information, world wide. The chances of anyone getting away with a large scale scam are slim (pardon the pun sonny ;) ) Of course spotting that its occurring and bringing a conviction are two very different things. And snooker fans (especially one from the valleys) are quick to insist that the sport is clean until a conviction is brought, unfortunately in these cases there is rarely smoke without fire <ok>

There have been several cases of these 'dodgy' matches occuring in recent years but this is the first significant move we've seen made, it's taken them long enough :huh2:

Postby NedB-H

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:The easiest thing to do is have him down as guilty straight away. You don't know, it could be a disgruntled bookie or someone with influence that has made this happen. Lets see what the fall out of this is. He hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

Agree completely <ok>

Postby Lucky

Bourne wrote:

There have been several cases of these 'dodgy' matches occuring in recent years but this is the first significant move we've seen made, it's taken them long enough :huh2:

Hopefully...(thats probably the wrong word)...they have more evidence this time and a case will be brought, if its gonna be just another load of flannel, quoting 'betting patterns' without disclosing anything solid, then its a disgrace. What I don't understand is that in the Maguire - Burnett case, absolutely nothing happened, it wasn't proven or not proven. The players never really tried to clear their names, its just been left in limbo. If it carries on like this we will end up with any number of players with clouds over their names and no news either way on whats occurring.....this wouldn't be allowed to continue in any other sport. Someone, somewhere is going to have to make a decision as to whether betting patterns are a genuine guide to wrong doing, if they are then punishment would need to be carried out solely on the back of them, if its decided that they are not, then perhaps arrests and naming the players purely on these should be outlawed <ok>

Postby Bourne

Well here are his losses this season:

Shanghai Masters

Ding Junhui 5-2 Stephen Lee
70(46)-20, 132(132)-0, 93(93)-0, 0-72(45), 90(43,35)-36, 13-67(47), 76-26

Grand Prix

Stephen Lee 3-5 Robert Milkins
93(38)-45, 54-76, 62(49)-18, 0-70(46), 49-62, 46-65, 72(48)-31, 15-53

UK Championship

Stephen Lee 5-9 Allister Carter
35-64(57), 21-76(76), 10-69, 32-74(59), 65(65)-31, 71(43)-38, 0-87(67), 65-61
30-72(56), 117(103)-1, 19-60(55), 68(42)-5, 67(51)-69(59), 0-82(38,43)

Masters Qualifying

Stephen Lee 3-5 David Gray
0-80(76), 75(50)-24, 71(51)-44, 27-55, 0-79(47), 82(53)-41, 5-107(63), 6-74(59)

Welsh Open

Stephen Lee 3-5 Andrew Higginson
56(56)-66(66), 0-89(89), 85(39)-0, 78(52)-5, 68(34)-0, 23-74(73), 4-94(37), 0-75(49)

China Open

Stephen Lee 2-5 Tony Drago
67(48)-64, 54(50)-71(65), 1-122(122), 78(77)-1, 0-60, 0-91(75), 47(46)-63(41)

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ement.html
STEPHEN LEE: WPBSA STATEMENT
The WPBSA has released the following statement in the wake of Stephen Lee's arrest by police as part of a match fixing investigation:

"We are aware of the recent news articles concerning match fixing and are awaiting further reports.

"In instances where the Gambling Commission commences an investigation into a match, the WPBSA works together with the Commission to assist in its enquiries and the WPBSA will hold its own investigation open pending the conclusion. However, neither the Commission nor the WPBSA will release information surrounding a betting matter while an investigation is ongoing."

First, I think this is a sensible attitude but we must really hope the all investigation takes less time than in previous cases. For all I know the Maguire vs Burnett case is not yet closed.
Investigations in financial matters can take quite a long time, especially if their ramifications spread over several countries with no harmonised legislation. I have no idea if it is the case here but it could (note that i write "could") be a reason for the long delays.

Postby littlebylittle

Bourne wrote:Well here are his losses this season:

Shanghai Masters

Ding Junhui 5-2 Stephen Lee
70(46)-20, 132(132)-0, 93(93)-0, 0-72(45), 90(43,35)-36, 13-67(47), 76-26

Grand Prix

Stephen Lee 3-5 Robert Milkins
93(38)-45, 54-76, 62(49)-18, 0-70(46), 49-62, 46-65, 72(48)-31, 15-53

UK Championship

Stephen Lee 5-9 Allister Carter
35-64(57), 21-76(76), 10-69, 32-74(59), 65(65)-31, 71(43)-38, 0-87(67), 65-61
30-72(56), 117(103)-1, 19-60(55), 68(42)-5, 67(51)-69(59), 0-82(38,43)

Masters Qualifying

Stephen Lee 3-5 David Gray
0-80(76), 75(50)-24, 71(51)-44, 27-55, 0-79(47), 82(53)-41, 5-107(63), 6-74(59)

Welsh Open

Stephen Lee 3-5 Andrew Higginson
56(56)-66(66), 0-89(89), 85(39)-0, 78(52)-5, 68(34)-0, 23-74(73), 4-94(37), 0-75(49)

China Open

Stephen Lee 2-5 Tony Drago
67(48)-64, 54(50)-71(65), 1-122(122), 78(77)-1, 0-60, 0-91(75), 47(46)-63(41)

If any of the results look "dodgy" i would be having a look at the david gray result.Drago is in form at the minute and think he could beat anyone ranked outside the 16

Postby GJ

Statement on the on Q promotions website

12th February - Stephen Lee Statement
On Q Promotions can confirm, as Stephen Lee's management company, that Stephen Lee was taken to a West Midlands police station for questioning on Thursday 11th February 2010.

Stephen cooperated fully with the police inquiry and was released without charge. He does not expect any charge to be made and denies any involvement with cheating or betting irregularities.

Stephen is now concentrating on practicing hard to achieve qualification for the World Championships and to fulfill all of his exhibition commitments.

Stephen Lee and On Q Promotions will not be making any further comments and would ask that the privacy of Stephen and his family is respected.

as if he is going to admit guilt <doh>

Postby Smart

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:Oh no not again. I bet this is dragged out for ages and he gets away with it for lack of evidence. If it is true Hearn should make an example out of him.

i think hearn will get it dealt with quickly and ban bristol's lee if he is guilty

relentless <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

There must be something going on. Hann gets booted off the tour on match fixing charges a few years back, and since then we've had Ebdon, Maguire/Burnett and now Stephen Lee looked into. Something fishy is going on.

I still contend that Ebdon losing to Liang isn't particularly suspicious, especially as the particular match in question was a best of 9. And as world number 2, if Maguire did lose on purpose for a few quid, he'd have to be an absolute spastic. But the accusations (though they are just accusations without proof) keep coming. Either there is a lot of this that goes on in the sport, or there is somebody who feels they can gain from making these accusations falsely.

Something is definately fishy, but I agree with John. With no proof, how can we really judge what happened? :huh2:

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:There must be something going on. Hann gets booted off the tour on match fixing charges a few years back, and since then we've had Ebdon, Maguire/Burnett and now Stephen Lee looked into. Something fishy is going on.

I still contend that Ebdon losing to Liang isn't particularly suspicious, especially as the particular match in question was a best of 9. And as world number 2, if Maguire did lose on purpose for a few quid, he'd have to be an absolute spastic. But the accusations (though they are just accusations without proof) keep coming. Either there is a lot of this that goes on in the sport, or there is somebody who feels they can gain from making these accusations falsely.

Something is definately fishy, but I agree with John. With no proof, how can we really judge what happened? :huh2:

It wasn't Maguire losing, it was Burnett.
For me Ebdon losing to Liang was by far the most suspicious item. But then ... he was a member of the board. Forget it!