Topic locked

Pre China Open Discussion!!

Postby Wildey

For Discussion of The China Open and What you are Looking Forward for the Remainder of This Season.

Re: China Open Wild Card and 1st Round Discussion!!

Postby GJ

there is 1 match which for me is tough to predict williams v cope

that is as 50/50 as a match can be

Postby GJ

StalinESQ wrote:Ebdon vs Trump - shame there has to be a winner. :evilgrin: <laugh> :evilgrin: <laugh>

what a nightmare for you guess who they could face in round 2

<laugh>

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:wild

isnt it normally 7.30 am and 12.30 pm uk start times :chin:

your right i had it on GMT <doh>

how does it feel being a clever sausage <laugh>

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:wild

isnt it normally 7.30 am and 12.30 pm uk start times :chin:

your right i had it on GMT <doh>

how does it feel being a clever sausage <laugh>

<cool>

Postby GJ

StalinESQ wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Ebdon vs Trump - shame there has to be a winner. :evilgrin: <laugh> :evilgrin: <laugh>

what a nightmare for you guess who they could face in round 2

<laugh>

Mike Dunn (ENG) <ok>

rofl

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Not the greatest first round line-up i've ever seen :sad:

yes not the standards we been lead to believe there is in todays game compared to yester year.

its about time that nonsensical marmite is put to bed once and for all THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE NOW BETWEEN LAST 32 1990 AND LAST 32 2010 <ok>

Postby Casey

rocket_ron wrote:has anyone ever won the second to last ranking tourney (ie china open) then go on to win the worlds?

Yes a number of players but it was 12 years since it was last done (John Higgins)

Postby Rocket_ron

case_master wc wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:has anyone ever won the second to last ranking tourney (ie china open) then go on to win the worlds?

Yes a number of players but it was 12 years since it was last done (John Higgins)

better hope thar ronnie doesn't win the china ;)

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:

its only happened by 3 players

John Higgins 1998 British Open
Stephen Hendry 1993 International Open
Steve Davis 1984 Lada Classic

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:

yes not the standards we been lead to believe there is in todays game compared to yester year.

its about time that nonsensical nail clippings is put to bed once and for all THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE NOW BETWEEN LAST 32 1990 AND LAST 32 2010 <ok>

lol ... I meant the qualtiy of the match-ups, not the standard of players. That's a given.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

its about time that nonsensical nail clippings is put to bed once and for all THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE NOW BETWEEN LAST 32 1990 AND LAST 32 2010 <ok>

lol ... I meant the qualtiy of the match-ups, not the standard of players. That's a given.

same thing ....

the only reason the match ups not quality is because you know the players in question are rubbish.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

same thing ....

the only reason the match ups not quality is because you know the players in question are poo.

The amount of wildcards just messes it up for me.

Postby Wildey

i do not think standards are marmite and ive never ever ever thought it but sometimes to counter you know who i said it...

but as someone that has lived through different eras today is no different to 20 years ago believe me.

some when they see big break after big break in a match by a player rank 20+ they think thats new....they really haven't a clue in hell and sometimes it pisses me off the lack of understanding for the game and the past they have.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:i do not think standards are nail clippings and ive never ever ever thought it but sometimes to counter you know who i said it...

but as someone that has lived through different eras today is no different to 20 years ago believe me.

some when they see big break after big break in a match by a player rank 20+ they think thats new....they really haven't a clue in hell and sometimes it pisses me off the lack of understanding for the game and the past they have.

Yeh I know wild, you're pashinnate about this subject and i'm not going to argue with the 1990 > 2010 or vice versa b*llocks because I only know this era of the last 10 years very well, but I think it's inaccurate to say the players these days outside the top 16 are sh*t ... The sh*ttest thing of all is the lack of opportunities they get to showcase their talents.

Postby Wildey

they nowhere near rubbish mate...

i happen to think and this is the truth today could be with right guidence and no cockerel ups the true snooker golden age but we really need desperately to kick that on ding,Robbo or selby as World Champion ASAP.

i was trully gutted last year when John won ok thats his luck and good on him well played but whether we like it or not John and Ronnie is the past and i want a new face at the pinnacle of the sport if not better at least on level footing.

i joke a lot regarding Hendry and Ding or Selby etc and although i would love to see hendry winning it again im a realist and its time to move on again new decade,new regime we need a new start.

Postby NedB-H

wildJONESEYE wrote:they nowhere near rubbish mate...

i happen to think and this is the truth today could be with right guidence and no cockerel ups the true snooker golden age but we really need desperately to kick that on ding,Robbo or selby as World Champion ASAP.

i was trully gutted last year when John won ok thats his luck and good on him well played but whether we like it or not John and Ronnie is the past and i want a new face at the pinnacle of the sport if not better at least on level footing.

I dunno if thats entirely fair... if you want to rejuvenate a sport, you have to have some connection with the past, so that new fans think you've started a renaissance rather than just built a sport from scratch. So, Phil Taylor when he started would still have been playing Wilson, Bristow, George etc - darts would still have needed to have some connection with its past. And Higgins/Ronnie are snooker's connection with its past.

Postby Wildey

but we need players to trully push Ronnie and Higgins like Davis did to Reardon. like Hendry did to Davis and how Ronnie did to Hendry.....

im as convinced as i can be without The emergence of Ronnie,Higgins and Williams in the 90s Hendry might have retired by now.

it has to evolve at the moment its slightly stuck. a few years back i thought Higgins was on his way out and only a matter of time before Ronnie follows since then John won 2 World Championships and good on him however instead of moving on Selby and Ding slipped back which has been disappointing.....now we need them to step it up at the crucible.

im a hendry fan and if he plays Selby at the crucible i cant lose i really cant if Hendry gets through yeyy another Q/F if Selby goes through yey bring on Ronnie and Higgins.

Postby Roland

Some wise words there wild but I have to pull you up on this:

"i was trully gutted last year when John won ok thats his luck and good on him well played but whether we like it or not John and Ronnie is the past and i want a new face at the pinnacle of the sport if not better at least on level footing."

Higgins was AWESOME at last years worlds. It was one of the best performances ever seen in the history of the event, and O'Sullivan likewise the year before. Those two are special and they were when they were 16 and they're proving it still today at 34. When you are 34 you are no way past it if you're good enough, and Higgins has shown you can even be better with all that experience behind you. They will always be very tough to beat and if one of them ends up winning it again this year then fair play to them because they are still the best in the world.

Postby Wildey

he played fantastically well agreed but at 35 he is becoming yesterdays man....snooker would have had more of a boost in the arm if Selby,Ding or Robbo had won it.

you cant choose these things he is a brilliant player as is Ronnie but it isnt progress at the scale i for 1 would prefer it.