Topic locked

Who is going to win the real tie of the first round?

Poll ended at 16 Mar 2011

Mark Williams
50%
Stephen Lee
50%

Total votes : 6

Mark Williams vs Stephen Lee

Postby SnookerFan

This is the real tie of the first round.

Who is going to win this one? Mark Williams has to be the hot favourite, but Skinny Stephen Lee is no mug either. Who does everybody think will win?

Re: Mark Williams vs Stephen Lee

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:I was going to vote but theres no Judd Trump option....

Thank buck for that.

rofl

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Cant wait to see all you Judd haters eating Humble pie in the next few years and begging to jump on the Trumpy bandwagon

nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing him achieve something in the next 2 to 3 years.... <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:Cant wait to see all you Judd haters eating Humble pie in the next few years and begging to jump on the Trumpy bandwagon

I still think we're going to see a lot of Trump in years to come, despite his inauspicious first few years as a professional <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:

nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing him achieve something in the next 2 to 3 years.... <ok>

Joking aside, the reason that we do joke about him is that a few years ago he was promising much. Getting to a ranking event quarter, or was it semi and knocking Ronnie O'Sullivan out along the way. Since then, he's won some qualifying tournaments, but always looks a bit out of his depths amongst the big boys. I remember he beat Jamie Cope in the first round at Telford, to my embarrassment. Because I told Jamie's gran he had nothing to worry about. <laugh>

It'd be good to see somebody like Judd win tournaments. He's a young man, and jokes about his haircuts from us oldies aside, he's somebody that I feel young fans may relate to. Problem is, I think he has already hit his best. Qualifying for tournaments is all he seems able to do. What with the odd win here and there. I'd love to be wrong, but I can't see him winning tournaments. Especially in era with Higgins back at his best, Mark Williams close to it, Ding Junhui breaking through again after going off form, Neil Robertson maintaining his 100% record after being in enough finals for it to mean something, Mark Allen getting to the semi-finals regularly, Shaun Murphy still a threat on his day.

Nothing against Judd Trump, but I just think it's not difficult to think of players that are better then him. I'd like him to win tournaments, and if he did I'd be the first on here to congratulate him and say "Well done" if he does it. I just did think all this talk of him being; "The future of snooker" is a tad over the top. Has potential to be a decent player, yes. But somewhat lacking that certain something to take him that bit further if you ask me. We've been saying for years; "With a bit more experience...." Well, he's getting more experience all the time, it's about time he started improving. Let's hope he does though. <ok>

Postby Wildey

hes just not pushed on has he its ok saying hes young etc but if you old enough at 17 to reach the crucible in 2007 or a Ranking Semi in 2008 you would think by 2011 your olds enough for things to have moved on from there and they not.

in fact he should send Barry Hearn a Christmas Present this year because the PTC maybe saved his career because without it he could have been heading for 40+ in the rankings.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:So, anyway. Who does everybody think is going to win Mark Williams vs Stephen Lee then? <laugh>

:emu:

An emu is going to win it? :huh:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:hes just not pushed on has he its ok saying hes young etc but if you old enough at 17 to reach the crucible in 2007 or a Ranking Semi in 2008 you would think by 2011 your olds enough for things to have moved on from there and they not.

in fact he should send Barry Hearn a Christmas Present this year because the PTC maybe saved his career because without it he could have been heading for 40+ in the rankings.

started this season ranked 27th (under old system would have been in final qualfying round all season)

cos he only won 3 ranking matches all of last season :scared: he was 41st on the one year list last season so under the old rankings would have started this season at 41st on the provisional end of season list and been expected to end up in that position unless his form improved.

with the new rolling rankings in place it could have been expected that Judds slide would be accelerated during this season with him soon outside the top 32 so its to his credit thats hes knuckled down and realising the worth of the PTC events with 9,420 of his 21,465 points earned to date this season helping turn his career around now looks odds on to start next season in the top 16 and not 41st as he was projected to end this season at.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:hes just not pushed on has he its ok saying hes young etc but if you old enough at 17 to reach the crucible in 2007 or a Ranking Semi in 2008 you would think by 2011 your olds enough for things to have moved on from there and they not.

started this season ranked 27th (under old system would have been in final qualfying round all season)

cos he only won 3 ranking matches all of last season :scared: he was 41st on the one year list last season so under the old rankings would have started this season at 41st on the provisional end of season list and been expected to end up in that position unless his form improved.

with the new rolling rankings in place it could have been expected that Judds slide would be accelerated during this season with him soon outside the top 32 so its to his credit thats hes knuckled down and realising the worth of the PTC events with 9,420 of his 21,465 points earned to date this season helping turn his career around now looks odds on to start next season in the top 16 and not 41st as he was projected to end this season at.

yes its to his credit but my point is the same without the PTC the next few weeks would have been career saving matches for him.

Postby GJ

druggy FTW

Postby SnookerFan

Does that fact that Slimline Steven just got such a big win over Steve Davis change anybodies opinion on this match? I notice it's 3-3.

I reckon Mark Williams will take it, but am hoping Steven Lee nicks a few frames, and makes it a good game. <ok>

Postby randam05

Williams will fly through I think. When he starts potting he can be unstoppable and I can see lee becoming off form and being kept outta the match.

Postby GJ

GJ wrote:druggy FTW

:) :D