Topic locked

Chinalife Xingpai Hainan Classic

Postby Monique

Following the announcement yesterday that 110 goes to administration, I must say I'm a bit nonplussed to see this today ... :huh:

http://www.110sport.tv/news/935

23 Feb 2011

110sport and Star are set to bring more world-class snooker to China following the announcement that the first ever Chinalife Xingpai Hainan Classic is set to take place between 10-13 March.

The tournament will take place at the Boao venue located on Hainan Island – a famous scenic spot in China for its golden beach, blue sea and the tropical climate as well as being the host location of the annual ‘Miss World’ competition in five of the last seven years.

Seven-times world champion Stephen Hendry, current Crucible king Neil Robertson, UK champion John Higgins and the winner of the 2011 Masters Ding Junhui will all travel to China.

Also competing for a share of the tournament’s £200,000 prize fund will be Mark Allen, Peter Ebdon, Ali Carter, Graeme Dott, Jamie Cope and Ricky Walden.

“We are delighted so many big names have signed up for the event and can’t wait for what promises to be a fantastic tournament in one of the most beautiful settings in the world,” said 110sport Chief Executive, David MacKinnon.

“The standard of the players that have signed up so far has been first class and there are still plenty more to come.

“The tournament will be broadcast live by a number of Chinese television outlets including CCTV and BTV – meaning the tournament will be viewed by in excess of 100 million people.”

Ali Carter who won the season opening Shanghai Masters in September of 2010 added: “During this season snooker players have had more opportunities to play than ever before.

“It is fantastic that 110sport and Star are taking another star-studded event to the Chinese fans – it will only help further increase the global appeal of the game.”

The first ever ChinalifeXingpai Hainan Classic will feature four groups of four players, each player will play three best-of-three matches. The player who finishes top of each group will progress to the semi-finals.

Organised by the General Administration of Sport of China, the Department of Culture Radio Television Publication and Sports of Hainan Province as well as the Qionghai Government, this is the first of many international sporting events to be held in Hainan in 2011.
Hainan
Last edited by Monique on 26 Feb 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ChinalifeXingpai Hainan Classic

Postby Witz78

Very strange timing this indeed Monique

Assuming it goes ahead, then its yet another tournament in China to add to the 2 rankers, the invitational they have in June (its name slips me) and a couple of other minor exhibitions etc they have.

With viewing figures in excess of 100 million and Chinas rapidly growing economy, we will have 3 rankers in China next season as well as 2 invitationals. I think its time we saw a proper big tournment in China rather than these continued minor rankers / exhibitions / invitationals etc

The scope for longer format snooker or one of the new exciting formats and big money on offer to rival the likes of the UK or Masters prize funds should surely be the aim from the WPSBA.

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:£200k prize pot for an event like this :scared:

the world champion is there so not surprising :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Monique

GJ wrote:

TBH I would wait and see if he is really there. He was announced to be in the BTV this summer, another 110 event, and then it appeared that he had other commitments...

Postby GJ

they should maybe have done this the week before china open to save players gong back and forward from home to china

just a thought

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:GJ that would be far too sensible :-(

they couldn't have put it in the schedule then because the championship league will be played so they had to work it around the Main Tour and other tournaments already on the schedule.

so they play it while the WC Qualifiers is played for players inside the top 16 obviously...

Wenbo or Jimmy white cant go there.

Postby Monique

Neil Robertson on twitter :
Yes I'll be heading to Hainan @lee_hyun_sung along with Ebdon, Hendry, Higgins, Dott, Carter, Allen, Ding Junhui and a few others.

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:

Has there been a World Championship since John Higgins beat Shaun Murphy? :huh: I forget.

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:

Has there been a World Championship since John Higgins beat Shaun Murphy? :huh: I forget.

EVENING AUSSIE BASHER :wave:

Re: Chinalife Xingpai Hainan Classic

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/03/eurosport-to-show-new-china-snooker.html

great news folks, MORE live snooker action for us

the stand out thing from that

World champion Neil Robertson

:afro: :bowdown: <cool>

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/03/eurosport-to-show-new-china-snooker.html

great news folks, MORE live snooker action for us

the stand out thing from that

World champion Neil Robertson

:afro: :bowdown: <cool>

Dennis Taylor playing in it stands out more for me rofl

Postby randam05

That is seriously amazing! Another tournament to watch and its on eurosport 2 I just checked on sky tv guide! Perfect!

Hainan classic, followed by PTC finals, followed by china open, followed by championship league finals, followed by WC!! Gosh so excited!

Postby randam05

Is no one else as excited!!!? this is amazing, another televised tournament! Its what we all been asking for isnt it? And right at the last minute :)

I cant believe its true!

Postby randam05

STILL NO EXCITEMENT! oh dear...

snookerfan not excited for earlier and more televised snooker in your new flat!?

Postby Bourne

Hard to get excited about it given how many other tournaments of greater significance there are for the next couple of months ...

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Eurosport are risking saturation by covering events like this methinks...

i agree it will be used as fine tuning for worlds and players wont be giving 100 % thats a cert

Postby randam05

Bourne wrote:Hard to get excited about it given how many other tournaments of greater significance there are for the next couple of months ...

But its still televised snooker!? thats exciting for me :) but i think im bit of a snooker bummer! anything snooker excites the life out of me. Obviously no one else shares this much excitement for televised snooker :-(

Postby Wildey

its not high up on the player priorities over the next few weeks however its snooker to watch if you want to and sometimes players not giving it everything will produce relaxed envioronment and some great stuff with not much on the line....

these types of tournaments was all the rage during the 80s promoted by Barry Hearn and won by Steve Davis.