Post a reply

New Format For Snooker’s Welsh Open

Postby randam05

World class snooker returns to Newport in February with the Welsh Open - and the world ranking event boasts a brand new format.

The tournament runs from February 14 to 20 at the Newport Centre and will feature the top 16 players in the world as of the seeding cut-off point which falls after next month's 12BET.com UK Championship.

John Higgins will be defending the title he won last year by beating Ali Carter in the final, and also set to feature are Betfred.com World Champion Neil Robertson, Rocket Ronnie O'Sullivan, Welsh ace Mark Williams and many more of the sport's top stars.

For the first time, the early rounds will feature best-of-seven frame matches with no interval, rather than best-of-nine. This will be the case for the qualifying rounds and up until the last 16 at the venue. The quarter-finals will be best-of-nine, the semis best-of-11 and the final best-of-17.

A spokesman for World Snooker said: "We are using a range of exciting new formats this season to add variety to our tournaments and give them distinctive features. We have reduced the number of tables in the Newport Centre arena from three to two, which means that every match can potentially be televised by BBC Wales. We will be keen to receive feedback from fans and players on the new format.

"We also have the scope to hold over two matches from the qualifiers to the venue, so if two Welsh players such as Matthew Stevens, Ryan Day or Dominic Dale are seeded between 17 and 32, we will give the fans in Newport the chance to see their local favourites in action.

"The Welsh Open will be the final tournament before the seeding list is updated for the Betfred.com World Championship, which will bring an extra element to the event as players will be battling to guarantee their place at the Crucible.

"It promises to be a fantastic week with snooker of the highest quality and a cracking atmosphere, so we strongly urge supporters to get their tickets booked and enjoy the show!"

Re: New Format For Snooker’s Welsh Open

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:
randam05 wrote:I think its cool, but why make a deal of it? one frame shorter and the rest the same? wooo how amazing! not.

its cack :idea: :wave: :idea: :wave:

what would you have done?

lets face it the Welsh Open has been the cack tournament on the calendar lately so something had to give.

I think more invention could have been put into giving this tournament an identity rather than just chopping a couple of frames of the length. I wouldnt have been adverse to a 10 frame tournament but best off 11 matches.

Postby gallantrabbit

The shorter format was done for a good solid reason. I like the seeding cut offs too. Means that players will need to chase more during the season instead of sittingcomfortable intheir top 16 spot.
Hearn is trying to save the Welsh. Last year he had a sponsor. What's the betting he'll have one this year?

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:
randam05 wrote:I think its cool, but why make a deal of it? one frame shorter and the rest the same? wooo how amazing! not.

lets face it the Welsh Open has been the cack tournament on the calendar lately so something had to give.

I think more invention could have been put into giving this tournament an identity rather than just chopping a couple of frames of the length. I wouldnt have been adverse to a 10 frame tournament but best off 11 matches.

It's firmly my least favourite tournament of the lot and needs serious revamping. Chopping a few frames will do shag all...

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

It's firmly my least favourite tournament of the lot and needs serious revamping. Chopping a few frames will do shag all...

im playing Devil's advocate here but what makes the Welsh more Least Favorite than the Shanghai Masters ?

Same Format
Same Players play in it

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

10 REDS tournament i meant !! rofl

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:The shorter format was done for a good solid reason. I like the seeding cut offs too. Means that players will need to chase more during the season instead of sittingcomfortable intheir top 16 spot.
Hearn is trying to save the Welsh. Last year he had a sponsor. What's the betting he'll have one this year?

BETTING being the right word with regards to a sponsor being in place <cool>

Postby Tubberlad

I'm no fan of Shanghai either, but it at least looks the part and has a better setup in my opinion. Though I really didn't like this year's tournament..

Postby Smart

I cant see any difference between Shanghai, the Welsh Open, the China Open - or any tournament that is basically a best of nine format till the semis and final.

I like best of nine in preference to best of 7 .......and this mucking about with frame lengths is snake hissing me off. PTCs is best of 7, and that is fine its unique (or was) to the PTC, but what makes this an improvement for the Welsh Open to adopt best of 7.

Answer ......nothing.

Is less more, answer NO. :idea: :wave: :idea: :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

I don't know why all the hate for the Welsh Open, to be honest. Even before I went live, and discovered what an amazing tournament it can be live, I didn't think it was any worse then the Shanghai Masters or China Open. Maybe equal to, and certainly not worse. And you don't have to deal with all the wild cards either, just saying.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:I don't know why all the hate for the Welsh Open, to be honest. Even before I went live, and discovered what an amazing tournament it can be live, I didn't think it was any worse then the Shanghai Masters or China Open. Maybe equal to, and certainly not worse. And you don't have to deal with all the wild cards either, just saying.

I'm not a hater of it, I liked it as it was. I liked the roll on roll off and best of 9 was okay, so does introducing best of 7 for part of the tourney improve it..............................NO :|

Postby Tubberlad

My favourite aspect of the Welsh Open was without doubt the Super Friday, organisational nightmare though it was. It was a cracking day of snooker in an otherwise pretty mundane ranking event... still always watched it though

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I don't know why all the hate for the Welsh Open, to be honest. Even before I went live, and discovered what an amazing tournament it can be live, I didn't think it was any worse then the Shanghai Masters or China Open. Maybe equal to, and certainly not worse. And you don't have to deal with all the wild cards either, just saying.

I'm not a hater of it, I liked it as it was. I liked the roll on roll off and best of 9 was okay, so does introducing best of 7 for part of the tourney improve it..............................NO :|

And it's a pain in the bottom if you need a snake hiss from about frame two as well.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

And it's a pain in the bottom if you need a snake hiss from about frame two as well.

Weak bladder era <ok>