Post a reply

Re-Rack question

Postby vodkadiet

If an evening session at The World Championships is due to start at 7pm and the last frame of an afternoon which had started at 6.10pm, has to be re-racked at 6.23 pm, would they play the re-racked frame again straight away, or after the evening session has finished? In theory, the frame has started, which means it should be played right away. However, the session should be stopped there and then, as it has overrun.

Re: Re-Rack question

Postby wheelsofsteel

I was once involved in a debate over a re-rack that lasted so long that when we went outside we found the club had closed down

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:If an evening session at The World Championships is due to start at 7pm and the last frame of an afternoon which had started at 6.10pm, has to be re-racked at 6.23 pm, would they play the re-racked frame again straight away, or after the evening session has finished? In theory, the frame has started, which means it should be played right away. However, the session should be stopped there and then, as it has overrun.

Would they start one at 6:10 anyway? It kind of depends who is playing, I know. But I'd say there was a chance of it overrunning even then. Especially if it's Peter Ebdon vs Dave Harold.

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:If an evening session at The World Championships is due to start at 7pm and the last frame of an afternoon which had started at 6.10pm, has to be re-racked at 6.23 pm, would they play the re-racked frame again straight away, or after the evening session has finished? In theory, the frame has started, which means it should be played right away. However, the session should be stopped there and then, as it has overrun.

Would they start one at 6:10 anyway? It kind of depends who is playing, I know. But I'd say there was a chance of it overrunning even then. Especially if it's Peter Ebdon vs Dave Harold.

I think the cut of point is 45 minutes. It may be 40, it could even be 50.

For argument's sake, let's then say it started at 6.07 pm, and had to be re-racked at 6.23pm.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I think the cut of point is 45 minutes. It may be 40, it could even be 50.

For argument's sake, let's then say it started at 6.07 pm, and had to be re-racked at 6.23pm.

I have no idea what they'd do. I take it it's never happened. If it has, Wild will use his autistic-style knowledge of matches that happened at The Crucible to let you know what happened. <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Apparently there was a re-rack in the world final in 1981 between Steve Davis and Doug Mountjoy with just blue,pink, and black left on the table. I wonder if Wild can verify that, or if Sonny can reproduce the position of the balls through one of his diagrams?

Postby Monique

according to Statsman
Don't know about that, but in the Davis-Mountjoy world final, the eighth frame was re-racked after 48 minutes with only blue, pink and black remaining.

There was one point between them and the blue and another colour were lodged together near a pocket with neither player willing or able to provide a solution.

in answer to some guy asking if it's true that that Ray Reardon and Eddie Charlton re-racked a frame with only blue.pink and black left on the table.

(source TSF)

Postby Wildey

They will start the Re Racked Frame straight away because that Frame re racked or not was started before 6.10pm

Postby Roland

Do you know that for a fact or are you guessing?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Do you know that for a fact or are you guessing?

if they didnt re rack they would be tip tapping for an hour so im guessing but you cant start a frame without finishing it suerly .... :?

but it is a interesting question ive never seen asked before so it would be interesting to know the answer

Postby Wildey

ref "come on we got to re rack it cant go on but it will be after the evening session"

player "sod that ill give them a whack and hope"

Postby vodkadiet

Wild wrote:ref "come on we got to re rack it cant go on but it will be after the evening session"

Tannoy announcement:

"The evening session will commence at approximately 11.45pm due to the fact that the final frame of the Rory Mcleod vs Rod Lawler match being re-racked 12 times! We aplologise for the delay, but this was in due in the main to the fact that in one of the re-racks, the yellow was lodged in the ref's nether regions, and neither player wanted to risk playing the shot to remove it. Please don't let the late start spoil your enjoyment of the Fergal O'Brien vs Marcus Campbell match".

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:
Wild wrote:ref "come on we got to re rack it cant go on but it will be after the evening session"

Tannoy announcement:

"The evening session will commence at approximately 11.45pm due to the fact that the final frame of the Rory Mcleod vs Rod Lawler match being re-racked 12 times! We aplologise for the delay, but this was in due in the main to the fact that in one of the re-racks, the yellow was lodged in the ref's nether regions, and neither player wanted to risk playing the shot to remove it. Please don't let the late start spoil your enjoyment of the Fergal O'Brien vs Marcus Campbell match".

rofl

When I was at the Masters in 2010, they had Rob Walker do his usual speel of; "As we're not full up, come down to the front if you're near the back, it looks better on telly. I know you've got numbered seats, but don't worry about that. I've been informed that the Wembley staff don't mind."

He hadn't been informed that, he assumed. And the Wembley Staff did mind. So at mid-session, they announced over the tanoy; "Can everybody please sit back in their original seats, despite what you've been told."

<laugh>

This year, they had a sit where you like policy for most of the tournament. <laugh>

Postby Smart

vodkadiet wrote:Apparently there was a re-rack in the world final in 1981 between Steve Davis and Doug Mountjoy with just blue,pink, and black left on the table. I wonder if Wild can verify that, or if Sonny can reproduce the position of the balls through one of his diagrams?

bad monkey bad monkey bad monkey bad monkey bad monkey :clap: