Post a reply

Best young talents in the game?

Postby Tubberlad

Which of the younger players do you feel have the potential to go on to bigger and better things? Which ones, if any, have really impressed you and get you excited about the game's future? Which ones will win the biggest title of them all.

Anda Zhang: I wasn't as impressed as some more were in the wake of his Crucible debut, but to take the greatest ever to a decider at such a young age was an achievement. He did strike me as a clever player with potential.

Michael White: He has a good reputation, but that's all I'm going on if I'm being honest. I haven't seen him play personally, if anybody has feel free to comment.

Anthony McGill: same applies

Luca Brecel: he often posts clips of his practice on YouTube, and some of them are downright scary, serious talent without doubt. It's hard to read much into that, but his results in PTCs improved pretty steadily as the year went on and he has a long time to deliever on the potential he's got.

Jack Lisowski: early days, but I like what I saw against Higgins. He seemed to have a bit of swagger, was smart around the table and had good focus in dragging himself back into one. I hope we hear a lot more of him, and I'd be optimistic that we will.

Judd Trump: He divides opinion. Personally, I think he has the potential to be very, very good and can see myself shouting for him somewhere down the line. His game always reminded me of Ronnie's, he has talent in abundance, but there are questions about his attitude. A potential World Champion, but a lot of work to do.

Re: Best young talents in the game?

Postby Wildey

Rocket_ron wrote:Luca brecel easy

next

to be fair all you really got to go on is hype and a few youtube practice sessions.

for me at the moment its Lisowski he has a mature game for his years although against Higgins in Newport he went doolally and tried to pot everything i guess over excitement.

im looking forward to see more of Anthony McGill from Glasgow as well.

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:Which of the younger players do you feel have the potential to go on to bigger and better things? Which ones, if any, have really impressed you and get you excited about the game's future? Which ones will win the biggest title of them all.

Ding Junhui: seems to have been around forever, but it's easy to forget he's only 21. One of only three players to win three rankers in his teens, he has four in total, and is a three time major winner at this early juncture. Ding's superb cueball control and execution of cannons in particular make him stand out for me as a World Champion very much in waiting.

Liang Wenbo: A little older than his more illustrious compatriot, I struggle to see Liang getting to the top. He's a potential ranking event winner, but his lack of a snooker brain will more than likely come against him. Shame, as he's a lovely little player on the attack.

Anda Zhang: I wasn't as impressed as some more were in the wake of his Crucible debut, but to take the greatest ever to a decider at such a young age was an achievement. He did strike me as a clever player with potential.

Michael White: He has a good reputation, but that's all I'm going on if I'm being honest. I haven't seen him play personally, if anybody has feel free to comment.

Luca Brecel: he often posts clips of his practice on YouTube, and some of them are downright scary, serious talent without doubt. It's hard to read much into that, but his results in PTCs improved pretty steadily as the year went on and he has a long time to deliever on the potential he's got.

Jack Lisowski: early days, but I like what I saw against Higgins. He seemed to have a bit of swagger, was smart around the table and had good focus in dragging himself back into one. I hope we hear a lot more of him, and I'd be optimistic that we will.

Judd Trump: He divides opinion. Personally, I think he has the potential to be very, very good and can see myself shouting for him somewhere down the line. His game always reminded me of Ronnie's, he has talent in abundance, but there are questions about his attitude. A potential World Champion, but a lot of work to do.

Dings 24 this year rofl

Postby Monique

Ding is 23 and will turn 24 in about 6 weeks. He's young but not so young and he has been around for a while. He doesn't belong to that list.

I'm surprised that McGill isn't considered. To me he and Jack Lisowski are the best newbies this season. I expect both to do well, maybe very well even the the 3-4 years to come.
I wouldn't be carried away about Luca. He's still very young and practice isn't match play. I'm not too sure about his temperament TBH.

Postby Tubberlad

next

???

I think Brecel has scary potential, but at the ned of the day, we haven't seen him play in a ranker in front of cameras.

Postby Tubberlad

Monique wrote:Ding is 23 and will turn 24 in about 6 weeks. He's young but not so young and he has been around for a while. He doesn't belong to that list.

I'm surprised that McGill isn't considered. To me he and Jack Lisowski are the best newbies this season. I expect both to do well, maybe very well even the the 3-4 years to come.
I wouldn't be carried away about Luca. He's still very young and practice isn't match play. I'm not too sure about his temperament TBH.

You're right about Ding, and Wenbo for that matter <ok>
I don't know much about McGill just yet... but will put him in the list.

Postby GJ

i emailed barry to try and get vinnie c a wildcard for main tour just after robbo won the world title and he didnt get one

he is a good young player

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:

next

???

I think Brecel has scary potential, but at the ned of the day, we haven't seen him play in a ranker in front of cameras.

We would have done a few weeks ago against Lisowski in Berlin if the cameras had been working <doh>

Postby Alex0paul

Liam Highfield deserves a mention too. I think McGill will win something but he has a horrible cue action.

Postby Alex0paul

GJ wrote:i emailed barry to try and get vinnie c a wildcard for main tour just after robbo won the world title and he didnt get one

he is a good young player

rofl Calabrase's highest break in competition in measly 102 and hasn't even won the Oceana Championship

Postby Wildey

Lisowski and Michael White will be on tour next season Lisowski well inside the top 64 and next season he could be battling for top 32 spot, Michael White is high enough on the PTC Order of merit to get on tour that route but Thanawat is provisional 81st and will drop off tour unless he gets a good run this week and in World Qualifiers BUT he will have a chance at the Q School in may hopefully he can retain his pro tour card there will be no Wild Cards for tour.

Postby Bourne

Depends what you mean by best I guess. It's often players with insane talent but a bit 'complacent' at a young age fail to take that with them into the pro game and go nowhere fast, whereas the youngsters who have solid games but work like trojans will make it to the top. For all-round package atm, out of those lot, i'd probably go for Judd <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Depends what you mean by best I guess. It's often players with insane talent but a bit 'complacent' at a young age fail to take that with them into the pro game and go nowhere fast, whereas the youngsters who have solid games but work like trojans will make it to the top. For all-round package atm, out of those lot, i'd probably go for Judd <ok>

:limp: :limp:

Postby GJ

wild

is it possible for all these players to qualify for worlds

stevens
gould
lisowski
trump
zhanger
selty

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:wild

is it possible for all these players to qualify for worlds

stevens
gould
lisowski
trump
zhang
selty

I'm not wild but i'll do my best impression of him:

yes it is <ok>

Postby Wildey

theres abundance of young exciting talents out there but the leap from Amateur to professional is a small one compared to being a Professional then becoming a champion.

Ding did that leap very fast so having him on this thread as a best young talent is false Ding is a champion and one of the best players in the World.

Willie Thorne was one of the most talented players thats ever played but the head was so weak so he never really fulfilled that talent.

There will be many a young player that turns pro that will fall short of whats needed at this level to be a champion.