Post a reply

Alan Chamberlian - GOOD OR BAD REFEREE ?

GOOD
29%
BAD
71%

Total votes : 14

Alan Chamberlian - GOOD OR BAD REFEREE ?

Postby GJ

For me he is an irritating old man and one of the worst referee's in snooker

2 examples

He refused to clean the white for selby against dott and chamberlain acted like a mug when dott fouled deliberately and chamberlain punished selby <doh>

The incident with swail and liang was an other great moment for chamberlain

<doh> <laugh>

So my question is do you think he is a good or bad refereee ?

Re: Alan Chamberlian - GOOD OR BAD REFEREE ?

Postby GJ

rocket_ron wrote:I voted bad.......because i don't like the way he treats the players especially fergal o'brien in the 2000 nations cup. face it without the snooker players he wouldn't have a job

what happened with fergal and chamberlain ?

Postby Roland

He's a good ref and has been for years but I found his actions strange in the Selby matches he reffed at the Crucible, like he was getting a kick out of being a lady part to him. It was almost like he was having his own fun within himself by the way he was acting at times. Strange man...

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:He's a good ref and has been for years but I found his actions strange in the Selby matches he reffed at the Crucible, like he was getting a kick out of being a lady part to him. It was almost like he was having his own fun within himself by the way he was acting at times. Strange man...

yes it seemed he was smug when showing selby who was in charge

Postby Rocket_ron

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:I voted bad.......because i don't like the way he treats the players especially fergal o'brien in the 2000 nations cup. face it without the snooker players he wouldn't have a job

what happened with fergal and chamberlain ?

GJ here is an artivle about it http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_dept ... 159399.stm

Postby Rocket_ron

It's good to see so many people agree on such a matter.
Jan ver hass is defo the best, alto it was funny to see him slip up on the miss rule with JH v ROS at the uk.
eiren williams used to be my fav, couldn't fault the man. but he does seem to make a hash of replacing the balls after a miss.

Postby Casey

Did anybody notice that Jan wasn't at the Welsh? maybe they have gave him a bit of time off after some mistakes in the last couple of tournaments?

Postby Wildey

being a snooker ref is as easy as it gets in charge of sport.

but they make their jobs harder by not using common sense faced with the miss rule...

i know theirejob is to police the law but a few years back there was a slight adjustment to the miss rule where referees opinion came in to being however since that change Alan Chamberlain is one of the very few to use that change in the rule.

Postby Smart

My personal opinion is that the refs in the main spotlight are way too complacent about their roles. It has become too cliquey in the top ranks of refs. Chamberlain irritates me for several reasons.

1. His voice, listen carefully to the pronounciation when calling scores or players names.

2. He makes more cockerel ups than any ref (though Jan and Michaela are running him close)

3. He seems to think that he is part of the show, whereas a good ref should assist the flow of the game not be centre stage.

The incident in the Dott/Selby game was a horrible one and was handled (parden the pun) badly. In fact the whole game was handled badly by Chamberlain who seemed to think that because he was (is ??) from the same place as Selby that there is some sort of smug jokiness to be had. No there should be none of that. Its the biggest and most serious tourney we have.

It was almost a relief when he got the poops and could not ref another game from that tourney.

Overall I am not very impressed by Chamberlain or the other refs as I think their standards have dipped markedly. <ok>

:wave:

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:My personal opinion is that the refs in the main spotlight are way too complacent about their roles. It has become too cliquey in the top ranks of refs. Chamberlain irritates me for several reasons.

1. His voice, listen carefully to the pronounciation when calling scores or players names.

2. He makes more cockerel ups than any ref (though Jan and Michaela are running him close)

3. He seems to think that he is part of the show, whereas a good ref should assist the flow of the game not be centre stage.

The incident in the Dott/Selby game was a horrible one and was handled (parden the pun) badly. In fact the whole game was handled badly by Chamberlain who seemed to think that because he was (is ??) from the same place as Selby that there is some sort of smug jokiness to be had. No there should be none of that. Its the biggest and most serious tourney we have.

It was almost a relief when he got the poops and could not ref another game from that tourney.

Overall I am not very impressed by Chamberlain or the other refs as I think their standards have dipped markedly. <ok>

very good post there smart, enjoyed reading it <ok>

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:My personal opinion is that the refs in the main spotlight are way too complacent about their roles. It has become too cliquey in the top ranks of refs. Chamberlain irritates me for several reasons.

some good points there and a case of point of a poor ref is Terry Camilleri from malta...Ronnie sais jump he asks how high.

Postby Smart

Wild - I accept what you are saying but I think its more a player problem.

ROS has acted wrongly with refs. Ebbo has for sure.

Its gamesmanship in the above cases, where they have used the position of a "lesser" established ref to gain something or be awkward.

Leo Scullion is the other ref (when Ebbo was playing Cope at the GP I believe). <ok>

Postby Wildey

smart i dont blame Ronnie but could you see Ronnie telling John Williams,John Street or Len Ganley how to ref and not get a "mind your own bucking business and play" back lol

Postby SnookerFan

I didn't know about the incident with Fergal when Chamberlain said; ""You're taking far too on for your selection, Come on, let's get it finished. Television knocks off at five o'clock."

The way he treated Selby on both situations was attrocious as well, to be honest. I mean, the situation with Dott where Selby didn't realise he'd fouled could perhaps be accepted as fair enough, because it was within the rules, but what other referee would've acted like such a hammer about it? And why refuse to clean the cue ball for a player? That's not his job.

I think the guy does act, on occasion, like a smug idiot, to be honest.