Post a reply

Coaching from the SWSA and Paul Mount.

Postby randam05

Had a great day at the South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester. Jade and parents arranged a secret 4 hour coaching session with Paul mount through Janie and Sarah, so thanks to everyone including Paul <ok>

Learnt a lot about my technique and improvements with rest play, long potting and breakbuilding. So much different playing on a table with WSA standards and the same as tables used on tv, much better and felt amazing, a truely amazing experience, would reccommend to anyone who enjoys playing to play on a WSA table.

Can't wait to go back again soon for some more coaching and practice and hope to enter some tournaments there, as one of the young guys working there, hoping to come pro next season, was very helpful and is trying to arrange for me.

Also was playing two tables away from Jak Jones which was pretty cool! :D

All in all a great day! Thanks. <ok>

Re: Coaching from the SWSA and Paul Mount.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:I'll see you at PTC 1 in June then

you entering then ??

Nice one jake <ok>

tell us about the tables ie how big or small are the pockets how did you find controlling the cueball etc.

Postby Alex0paul

Wild wrote:

you entering then ??

Nice one jake <ok>

tell us about the tables ie how big or small are the pockets how did you find controlling the cueball etc.

Yeah. Only PTC1 as its the best chance of getting through to the main draw avoiding the qualifiers. Hopefully I draw O'Sullivan in round 1 for a nice easy BYE.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:
Wild wrote:

you entering then ??

Nice one jake <ok>

Yeah. Only PTC1 as its the best chance of getting through to the main draw avoiding the qualifiers. Hopefully I draw O'Sullivan in round 1 for a nice easy BYE.

rofl rofl

Postby randam05

Rocket_ron wrote:how much does this sort of thing cost?

nice to here you had a great day <ok>

Thanks rocket <ok>

around £25 per hour from Paul Mount, whos coached Jimmy White, Dominic Dale, Barry hawkins and manyothers.

Postby randam05

Wild wrote:

you entering then ??

Nice one jake <ok>

Cheers,

The tables are honestly a LOT easier to play on IMO. My pockets at home are super tight so these were slightly bigger, but they were definitley tighter than any club tables and such. The cloth and balls are amazing to play with Sonny.

You can play such delicate shots in and around the black impossible on any other table and you can get the white going anywhere. Such as blues off the spot powering in and out of baulk are pretty easy! did that many times and a delicate screw to hold for reds off a cut back black are hell of a lot easier. I think its a mixture of good lighting, warmth of slate, the balls, the cloth and the cushions.

Only problem some of the shots the proffessionals play I cant appreciate quite as much now :( thats no joke..

but if anyone gets the chance, then do it! Its like playing how you would in a dream.

Postby randam05

Not to mention screwing into the pack of balls. The white just flies through and im not even good at screwing normally. and reds go everywhere.

Postby Sarah Mount

randam05 wrote:Had a great day at the South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester. Jade and parents arranged a secret 4 hour coaching session with Paul mount through Janie and Sarah, so thanks to everyone including Paul <ok>

Learnt a lot about my technique and improvements with rest play, long potting and breakbuilding. So much different playing on a table with WSA standards and the same as tables used on tv, much better and felt amazing, a truely amazing experience, would reccommend to anyone who enjoys playing to play on a WSA table.

Can't wait to go back again soon for some more coaching and practice and hope to enter some tournaments there, as one of the young guys working there, hoping to come pro next season, was very helpful and is trying to arrange for me.

Jake!

I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your day. I spoke to Paul yesterday afternoon and he very much enjoyed the coaching session also. I know he'd be delighted to see you again the future if you did decide to go back for more coaching or practice.

It would be great if you were to enter tournaments. We have the 2011 Pink Ribbon planned for June so that might be a good one to play in. We had over 30 Pros play in it last year! We will be releasing more details regarding this years Pink Ribbon in the next couple of weeks so I will start a thread on here to let everyone who may be interested know more.

I agree with you about the difference in playing on WSA standard tables. I have only ever played snooker a couple of times a year in the past so I am not that great. When I was at the Academy one time I asked my Dad (Paul) if I could give him a game and as soon as my hand touched the cloth I couldn't believe the difference! Jak Jones, funnily enough, was also there (he ended up being the ref as I kept forgetting to get the colours out of the pockets!) and i potted my first shot, a red into the middle pocket. Jak's face was a picture as he was pretty shocked and I think he thought I was going to be a good player. As the frame went on, he realised it was a bit of a fluke haha! I did manage a break of 7 though (red, blue, red) so that's something to try to improve on next time I am there. Tony Drago popped in at one point and suggested he teach me but after seeing one shot he soon left haha!

Once again Jake, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time at the Academy!

Postby randam05

Sarah Mount wrote:
randam05 wrote:Had a great day at the South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester. Jade and parents arranged a secret 4 hour coaching session with Paul mount through Janie and Sarah, so thanks to everyone including Paul <ok>

Jake!

I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your day. I spoke to Paul yesterday afternoon and he very much enjoyed the coaching session also. I know he'd be delighted to see you again the future if you did decide to go back for more coaching or practice.

It would be great if you were to enter tournaments. We have the 2011 Pink Ribbon planned for June so that might be a good one to play in. We had over 30 Pros play in it last year! We will be releasing more details regarding this years Pink Ribbon in the next couple of weeks so I will start a thread on here to let everyone who may be interested know more.

I agree with you about the difference in playing on WSA standard tables. I have only ever played snooker a couple of times a year in the past so I am not that great. When I was at the Academy one time I asked my Dad (Paul) if I could give him a game and as soon as my hand touched the cloth I couldn't believe the difference! Jak Jones, funnily enough, was also there (he ended up being the ref as I kept forgetting to get the colours out of the pockets!) and i potted my first shot, a red into the middle pocket. Jak's face was a picture as he was pretty shocked and I think he thought I was going to be a good player. As the frame went on, he realised it was a bit of a fluke haha! I did manage a break of 7 though (red, blue, red) so that's something to try to improve on next time I am there. Tony Drago popped in at one point and suggested he teach me but after seeing one shot he soon left haha!

Once again Jake, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time at the Academy!

Sarah!

It was great thanks. I will definitley be coming again soon I hope <ok>

Any info on possible tournaments to enter would be great please sarah, and Micky said he would keep me updated via facebook too. I see there was QSP tournaments on your site and not so sure what they are?

Thats not bad! a 7 break considering you rarely play. I knew the tables would be different, but I did not know they would be that nice..was like how I dream snooker tables being when I got there. There wasnt many people there yesterday, just Jak Jones, his friend, Paul and a few others..but it looks as if a lot of players were there. Cant wait to return and thanks for making me welcome <ok> cheers :)

Postby gallantrabbit

I might have to look it up myself. Be good to see the place and I think we should support this amazing fellow Paul Mount if poss.
Will be over that way in a couple of weeks so might have to check it out and even get some coaching in <ok>

Postby randam05

gallantrabbit wrote:I might have to look it up myself. Be good to see the place and I think we should support this amazing fellow Paul Mount if poss.
Will be over that way in a couple of weeks so might have to check it out and even get some coaching in <ok>

Do it! its brilliant :) i may see you there :D

Postby Alex0paul

randam05 wrote:Alex, do you play there then? and is PTC1 being held at the SWSA?

Havent been yet but planning on going there after the World Championships. For some reason I play more snooker during the summer months than the winter ones.

Postby Sickpotter

Glad you had a good time randam, always nice to get a session in with someone who's got some constructive input and play on tables that are responsive. :ahh:

Playing on the professional quality tables with quality balls is HUGE.

I used to install tables and there was nothing better than hitting some balls just after the install. The cloth was lightning quick, the table perfectly level, etc. I find playing on immaculate tables to be a great motivator to get out and play. :idea:

I agree that it does to some extent remove some of the mystique of certain shots pros play but the understanding of the shot gained outweighs the loss of mystique IMO. Be prepared for a little frustration as you go back to club tables, some shots you learn on fast tables can't be played on slower ones ;)

Postby randam05

Sickpotter wrote:Glad you had a good time randam, always nice to get a session in with someone who's got some constructive input and play on tables that are responsive. :ahh:

Playing on the professional quality tables with quality balls is HUGE.

I used to install tables and there was nothing better than hitting some balls just after the install. The cloth was lightning quick, the table perfectly level, etc. I find playing on immaculate tables to be a great motivator to get out and play. :idea:

I agree that it does to some extent remove some of the mystique of certain shots pros play but the understanding of the shot gained outweighs the loss of mystique IMO. Be prepared for a little frustration as you go back to club tables, some shots you learn on fast tables can't be played on slower ones ;)

Thanks sickpotter. I could have seriously played all day there it was so nice and easy to get motivated to play. Its hard to movitvate myself for practice at home :-( but there I could have played non stop all day. I may buy a new cloth from them as they sell the highest quality tv table clothes for 150 although they will have been used, but still in good quality and better than 500!

The players have it a lot easier take that from me. Its very very true. So much more freedom with positional play I think is the perfect word.