Topic locked

World Championship 2011 draw: Adv. Robbo

Postby Bourne

The draw for the 2011 World Championships is half completed, with the 16 seeds now aware of their potential routes to the final, minus qualifiers. Here is the PROVISIONAL second-round draw:

1 Neil Robertson vs Marco Fu 16
9 Graeme Dott vs Ali Carter 8

5 Ding Junhui vs Peter Ebdon 12
13 Stephen Hendry vs Mark Selby 4

3 Mark Williams vs Jamie Cope 14
11 Mark Allen vs Stephen Maguire 6

7 Shaun Murphy vs Ronnie O'Sullivan 10
15 Ricky Walden vs John Higgins 2

Look at the bottom-half here, you have Mark Williams (2 time World Champ, China and Germany champ, UK finalist), Mark Allen (UK, Masters semi-finalist), Stephen Maguire (Wales finalist/champ), Shaun Murphy (Former World Champ, UK semi-finalist), Ronnie O'Sullivan (3 time World Champ) and John Higgins (3 time World Champ, UK champ, Wales finalist/champ). There's no question about how lop-sided this draw is.

So why advantage Robertson ? He's defending champion so knows how to get the job done. Backed up his world title with a win at the World Open as well as reaching world number-one. He has beaten Allister Carter, provisional QF opponent, in the last two world-championships as well as his win over Graeme Dott in the final last year should the Scot make it. Marco Fu in R2 is far too inconsistent to be considered a likely threat to Robertson, he has struggled in this tournament since reaching the semis 5 years ago.

Ding is the next big name in the top-half but his record in Sheffield is poor. It has to end some time but he may have to face Selby or Hendry to get out of that quarter, two players who hold their own strengths over Ding. Should Selby make it, his semi-final record is putrid and Robertson would fancy his chances. Should Ding make it, it would be his debut on the one-table set-up which brings it's own new pressures.

Robertson has a great chance of reaching another final here and with a 6 in 6 record, is in prime position to break the Crucible hoodoo and win a second world title !

Re: World Championship 2011 draw: Adv. Robbo

Postby GJ

Quality article mate the draw is very lop sided and there will be some cracking matches early on.

I hope robbo can break the curse and im confident he will.

Postby GJ

The match im looking forward to potentially is maguire v allen 2 fiery characters and it could go all the way 13-12

Postby Bourne

Yes I didn't see Mags' match against Dott last year I was watching the other match but jeez that scoreline staggered me, seems like Mags is getting his act back together he's playing some of his best snooker again which is good to see. You could really stick a pin in that bottom half, no weak seed, so the problem for them might be that whoever gets through will have had to come through a few tough matches and be out for the count against a fresher top-half finalist <ok>

Postby Smart

Love this time of year, when it is starting to come to the fore of my thinking. The draw, the potential match ups, which will be the tough qualifiers to get in R1.

Yes bottom half appears loaded, but there are good players in the top half. Dotty and Carter have both been the distance at Sheffield (one successfully, one not).

Selby and DING both have the hunger too. <ok>

Postby GJ

Alex0paul WC wrote:Is this the same Robertson who hasn't beaten a top 16 player in a ranking event since September? :stir:

stats :zzz:

Postby Rocket_ron

GJ wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:Is this the same Robertson who hasn't beaten a top 16 player in a ranking event since September? :stir:

stats :zzz:

<laugh>

yes the bottom half is packed, if a bottom half player wins the WC then they have done very well

ronnie wont get past Murphy

Postby GJ

for me unless a shock burst of form happens

top half contenders

robbo
dotty
ding
selby

althought carter could beat dotty in round 2 not sure of their head to head record

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:Seems the bottom half is loaded but what about Robbo/Fu/Carter/Dott/Ding/Selby/Ebdon?

First quarter - Robbo big favo
Second quarter - Pretty 50/50 Ding or Selby
Third quarter - Williams slight favo over Mags/Allen
Fourth quarter - Higgins comfy favo over Murphy/O'Sullivan

Robbo definitely got out of this smelling of roses considering what he could have got.

Postby Rocket_ron

Bourne wrote:
Sonny wrote:Seems the bottom half is loaded but what about Robbo/Fu/Carter/Dott/Ding/Selby/Ebdon?

First quarter - Robbo big favo
Second quarter - Pretty 50/50 Ding or Selby
Third quarter - Williams slight favo over Mags/Allen
Fourth quarter - Higgins comfy favo over Murphy/O'Sullivan

Robbo definitely got out of this smelling of roses considering what he could have got.

semis will be

robbo v Ding
Higgins v Williams

Mark my words, read it here first

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:Throw the question into the ring then:

Who would you want to avoid from the qualifiers..............................

rexy

apart from the obvious

zhanger

my list would have 2 main unseeded players

1. Gouldy
2. Stevens

Postby GJ

if trump makes it he is a big danger but he struggles to win in the cubicles

Postby Alex0paul

GJ wrote:if trump makes it he is a big danger but he struggles to win in the cubicles

Struggles to win in the arenas too

Postby Bourne

Can't take much confidence in Liang tbh he's had a poor season but then again he's only lost in tight results to O'Sullivan and Ding in the last two seasons as well as his QF in 08 so he might just be one of those players who gets inspired on the big occasion.

Postby Smart

Bourne wrote:Can't take much confidence in Liang tbh he's had a poor season but then again he's only lost in tight results to O'Sullivan and Ding in the last two seasons as well as his QF in 08 so he might just be one of those players who gets inspired on the big occasion.

He is one of those players that could spring a suprise though, if and its a big IF - he clicks quite early in his match. He can go on a run of frame winning breaks, or he can just get bogged down. <ok>

Postby GJ

Sirius B wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:At this moment in time, looking at that, I'd say a Selby-Higgins final, with Higgins winning a fourth world title.

selby wont beat robbo, mark my words

:D <cool>