Post a reply

Davis: No skin off snooker's nose if Rocket quits

Postby Bourne

Hector Nunns of the Independent on Sunday wrote:Steve Davis has revealed his fears that Ronnie O'Sullivan's career has reached a dangerous crosswoads, and insists that only a swift rediscovery of the joy of competition can prevent a misfiring "Rocket" from losing touch with his rivals.

O'Sullivan himself admitted earlier this week at the Welsh Open, following another first-round exit, this time to Welshman Ryan Dau, that he envisaged things worsening before they improved in terms of his results and rankings, at No 10 his lowest for 17 years.

The 35-year-old has been involved in a prolonged dispute over the custody of his children with his former partner, and also had to cope with the new circumstances of father Ronnie Snr being released from prison after serving 18 years for murder.

But absences at important tournaments have cost the three-time world champion match sharpness but also irritated officials, fans, rival players and World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn. Perhaps most surprisingly, when O'Sullivan has turned up, he has been getting turned over.

The six-time world champion Davis, 53, believes only recapturing the enjoyment of sporting combat can save O'Sullivan. He said: "if you stop enoying the competition, then you have a serious problem. It must be the case for Ronnie. If he is not being driven by the idea of entering events and playing in them, then that is the nub of it. If he has lost it forever, and competing is no longer a driving force, then that is the end.

"It's not enjoying the thrill of it. Stephen Hendry is still driven, so is Mark Williams. Hendry was furious after losing this week despite his 147. The fact he was raging shows that it matters. Ronnie seems flat before, during and after, and I really hope he can find his enjoyment again.

"He seems to have lost the thrill. Maybe he could still get himself up for the world championship. He has talked about walking away from the game, and there is a possibility that if he deprived himself of it, he'd miss it. For Ronnie to lose [desire] this early at 35 is an issue. Maybe he has been through a lot in the game, he started at eight or something. Perhaps it's burnout, we don't know."

Davis also believes that if O'Sullivan follows through on his threats to quit, the sport would cope in his absence. Davis added: "I don't think it makes any difference how popular he is - if he decides to pack up, the game won't suffer. No one has ever been bigger than the sport, and snooker will continue regardless, it won't be any skin off snooker's nose."

Re: Davis: No skin off snooker's nose if Rocket quits

Postby GJ

I agree with davis my comments on ronnie are tounge in cheek but for me the recent tournaments with him losing early have in no way dimninished the events i have enjoyed them as much if not more.

I saw a silly commebt on twitter from a ronnei fan saying oh ronnie had lots of fans at his match at newport and selby at very few watching his match , so does having alot more supporters win you matches <laugh> :wave:

Same thing applies with my favs even if they loses early i enjoy the snooker for the rest of the event

Postby Monique

Well it's hard to disagree with Steve Davis comments.
There is little that can be done but wait and see what happens. As he highlights there has been a lot happening in Ronnie's life recently and anyone would need time to adjust, even more so a mentally fragile person. He has been nearly 20 years in the pro game and has started early. Himself said once that he has been "working" since he is eight.
I think he needs a break. He needs to be away from the pressure of expectations. He may, or may not rediscover his competitiveness and the enjoyment to play, only time will tell. But it won't happen if he is not given the opportunity to take "me-time" and some peace of mind in order to reassess his priorities and take the right decisions. Only then does he stand a chance to come back refreshed and re-motivated.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:Well it's hard to disagree with Steve Davis comments.
There is little that can be done but wait and see what happens. As he highlights there has been a lot happening in Ronnie's life recently and anyone would need time to adjust, even more so a mentally fragile person. He has been nearly 20 years in the pro game and has started early. Himself said once that he has been "working" since he is eight.
I think he needs a break. He needs to be away from the pressure of expectations. He may, or may not rediscover his competitiveness and the enjoyment to play, only time will tell. But it won't happen if he is not given the opportunity to take "me-time" and some peace of mind in order to reassess his priorities and take the right decisions. Only then does he stand a chance to come back refreshed and re-motivated.

if he wants a break though, why does he play numerous exhibitions?

and as for a proper break, then his ranking would drop well down and he would probably never recover when he did return. Plus with his lowly ranking points from this year, if he decided to take next season off, hes actually drop off the tour at the end of next season anyway.

As i see it anyway, being a snooker player now, especially when theres an opportunity to pick and chose what events you play in, means you can still have plenty of "time out" from the sport. Hes only played in 5/17 rankers so far this season so he cant really miss much more without being in a full time break from the sport.

Postby Wildey

Lets be honest if Ronnie Quits Snooker would miss him same with any other current top player its good to have these major revelries....

However Life moves on and new players come to the fold Ding Junhui,Neil Robertson,Mark Selby,Shaun Murphy and Stephen Maguire those are the immediate future of the sport with Lisowski,Michael White,Liam Highfield,Luca Brecel and just for smart Zhanger coming to the fore before 2020 hopefully.

to say Snooker wont miss past players is wrong i still miss Alex Higgins the player and Paul Hunter but thats life unfortunally and its not healthy to put so much emphasis on a individual... Snooker was here before Ronnie and it will survive after him.

Postby Monique

Playing exhibitions, or indeed even the Premier League isn't the same as playing in ranking events. It's one night then back home. It's no pressure (or very little) so that as a player, he can express himself. It's a way to stay in touch with the game and try to have enjoyment out of it. Ronnie looked happy in Blackpool, as he did BTW last year in Sheffield when the final selection of the Future Stars of Rileys was held.
As Wild says, no player is bigger than the game and snooker will go on whatever. But, if he quits for good, he will still be missed by many because he is a one off and an artist. I bet even Frame will miss him :innocent: ... who is he gonna hate with a passion then? :scared:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Things happened in Ronnie's career always a bit faster than with the rest of the pros. He won with 17 his first major, an unbelievable achievement in the current time. He soon established himself as one of the greats very soon - he was the best player of the first decade of this century.

After the World Open and the excellent Premier League, I thought: YES! He's back - his breakbuilding is good as ever, the long pots were going in again - I was hoping for a similiar dream season as 2007/08.
But than came Stuart Bingham and spoiled the party after this 35. birthday. His ranking was slipping due his absence of the PTC tournaments. But than the Masters came - his tournament - and didn't perform at all.
Two defeats in two majors - than the absence in Germany and his poor performance against Ryan Day made this season an awful one so far.

OK the season was terrible to this point - but it can't be that his great career can go from November: everything perfect to Febuary: everything's over forever.

My opinion: Ronnie saved his best for the World Championship and we will be witnessing the Return of the Snooker King in May.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Playing exhibitions, or indeed even the Premier League isn't the same as playing in ranking events. It's one night then back home. It's no pressure (or very little) so that as a player, he can express himself. It's a way to stay in touch with the game and try to have enjoyment out of it. Ronnie looked happy in Blackpool, as he did BTW last year in Sheffield when the final selection of the Future Stars of Rileys was held.
As Wild says, no player is bigger than the game and snooker will go on whatever. But, if he quits for good, he will still be missed by many because he is a one off and an artist. I bet even Frame will miss him :innocent: ... who is he gonna hate with a passion then? :scared:

exhibitions ok but really the Prem League should be a by product of his success elsewhere.

if he cant play other events he shouldn't be eligible for the Prem League.

Postby Tubberlad

As a Ronnie fan, this is quite similar to when Stevens started going downhill after losing the 2005 World Championship, and hit a low point with the loss to Murphy. My interest moved more to O'Sullivan in 2008 and he's been my favourite since, but I think I'm drifting over to the likes of Selby & Ding right now. Bandwagon jumper extaordinaire.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:Playing exhibitions, or indeed even the Premier League isn't the same as playing in ranking events. It's one night then back home. It's no pressure (or very little) so that as a player, he can express himself. It's a way to stay in touch with the game and try to have enjoyment out of it. Ronnie looked happy in Blackpool, as he did BTW last year in Sheffield when the final selection of the Future Stars of Rileys was held.

exhibitions ok but really the Prem League should be a by product of his success elsewhere.

As long as he's defending champion he can play as long he wants in the League without hitting a ball on the main tour.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Tubberlad wrote:As a Ronnie fan, this is quite similar to when Stevens started going downhill after losing the 2005 World Championship, and hit a low point with the loss to Murphy.

Every downfall in sports starts with losing many matches for a longer period. But Ronnie isn't through yet trust me I feel it.

Postby Tubberlad

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:As a Ronnie fan, this is quite similar to when Stevens started going downhill after losing the 2005 World Championship, and hit a low point with the loss to Murphy.

Every downfall in sports starts with losing many matches for a longer period. But Ronnie isn't through yet trust me I feel it.

My confidence in him is at an all time low

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Tubberlad wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

My confidence in him is at an all time low

That's understandable. If he loses in the first round of the WC it's all over. BUT that's not gonna happen I feel it deep inside me.

Postby Caledonian Craig

Snooker will go on. No danger about that. It has survived other players retiring or worse such as Alex Higgins, Paul Hunter passing away, Jimmy White losing form likewise Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis but life goes on. Sooner or later new heroes will come to the fore and enchant us. The likes of Davis, Hendry, Higgins (both), O'Sullivan, White and Williams will be no more but remain legends.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

As long as he's defending champion he can play as long he wants in the League without hitting a ball on the main tour.

yes at the moment as defending champ hes nailed on and quite right and even for the next 2 or 3 years if he doesent play any other event but that cant go on for ever if a tournament wants some credability

Postby vodkadiet

I won't miss him at all. The sooner he goes the better. He can take all his fanboys with him. :wave:

Postby Noel

vodkadiet wrote:
Monique wrote:I won't miss him at all. The sooner he goes the better. He can take all his fanboys with him. :wave:

Precisely how I feel about you buddy.
Only difference is that, unlike you, O'Sullivan is a genius and inspires thousands worldwide.

=oP

Noel

Postby Rocket_ron

Noel wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Monique wrote:I won't miss him at all. The sooner he goes the better. He can take all his fanboys with him. :wave:

Only difference is that, unlike you, O'Sullivan is a genius and inspires thousands worldwide.

=oP

Noel

Noel :D

Postby GJ

frame is tounge in cheek alot of the time

seifer never shut up about weak era and frame didnt take it welland takes the frustration out on ronnie IMO

Postby Tubberlad

GJ wrote:frame is tounge in cheek alot of the time

seifer never shut up about weak era and frame didnt take it welland takes the frustration out on ronnie IMO

I do think that Ronnie would have received a lot more respect from us had it not been from some fans forcing the guy upon us.

Postby vodkadiet

Noel wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

=oP

Noel

A genius!!! rofl

If you're inspired by a long nosed dog who has no respect for anyone then more fool you.

Stick to presenting Deal or no deal. :selby:

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:
Noel wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

=oP

Noel

A genius!!! rofl

If you're inspired by a long nosed dog who has no respect for anyone then more fool you.

Stick to presenting Deal or no deal. :selby:

<laugh> :wave:

Postby gallantrabbit

I think it would do Ronnie good to take 6 months off. The challenge of getting back up the rankings might just inspire him.
Wouldn't I just love 20% of his talent and the opportunity to play snooker for a living.. Still each to his own.
Surely Ronnie doesn't want to turn up rusty to each event. Giving it a complete break might help.

Postby SnookerFan

Unfortunately, I do feel sometimes Ronnie is a bit bigger then the sport, at least in this country. All you have to do is look at snooker forums and it's all Ronnie this, Ronnie that. Whenever I say I like snooker, all I hear off of people is that they like Ronnie and know who he is. And that's from people who call themselves fans.

I was at the UK Championship in Telford. I was in the Shaun Murphy vs Patrick Wallace match, which ran against Ronnie vs Stuart Bingham. I was one of five people in the game. And that was the second television table. It was embarrassing.

What does give you heart though, is the crowds we saw in Germany for a tournament Ronnie didn't bother to go to. And there is a huge fan-base in China for the Chinese lads. Go to see a Ding Junhui match, and you're guaranteed to see a group of Chinese fans that have made it for the match.

I think the sport will survive without him. But how will it effect the sport's popularity in Britain, which let's face it, isn't huge?