Topic locked

Re: Tanking Discussion

Postby Tubberlad

GJ wrote:Federer has tanked matches in small events so is he not a proper champion

list goes on

Has he? I find it hard to imagine Federer allowing his ranking to slip. He was world number one for an age.

The thing with snooker is that it's probably the most mentally taxing sport there is, and confidence has a huge part to play. There are players who I won't mention that I think could possibly do something like this, and none of them strike me as a World Champion with one very noticeable exception.

On the other hand, I could never see the likes of Dott, Ebdon, Higgins, Hendry tanking in a competitive match.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:
Sonny wrote:The subject needed to be brought up so it could be addressed and kicked into touch.

Swept under the carpet you mean :roll:

As I posted in the discussion topic:
I think it would be very naive to think certain players wouldn't do something like this, but I think it's most likely that the ones who do will not be picking up the Joe Davis trophy. They don't have the confidence in themselves to beat whoever's put in front of them, they don't have the necessary competitive drive and they don't deserve the title of World Champion

Disagree, if you win 5 matches at the Crucible in 17 days then you deserve to be called World Champ, doesn't matter what happens before or after. And if that means playing badly to get an easier draw, then that's life, it's just one of the nuances of sport.

you deserve the title yes however you dont deserve to be called a world champion.

Definition of a World Champion is Beating the Best Players and anyone put infront of you.

not beating players after they did the work for you.

Postby GJ

wild

i take it a small messgae is added after certain players names when winning the world final

champion but not a proper world champion

BS mate

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:wild

i take it a small messgae is added after certain players names when winning the world final

BS mate

thats why i dont believe for one minute that has ever happened in snooker.

yes you can have more motivation at certain events Hendry is testimony to that but they go in to every match wanting to win and i believe Carter having Never beaten Higgins before wanted that Feather in his cap today

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:

BS mate

thats why i dont believe for one minute that has ever happened in snooker.

yes you can have more motivation at certain events Hendry is testimony to that but they go in to every match wanting to win and i believe Carter having Never beaten Higgins before wanted that Feather in his cap today

i know mate Fair point and robbo played worse in this event last year than against dott on thursday

Postby Wildey

take Robbo for instance he doesn't prepare properly to fly to events so to think he prepared for a loss because he would escape Ronnie is well mind blowing.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:take Robbo for instance he doesn't prepare properly to fly to events so to think he prepared for a loss because he would escape Ronnie is well mind blowing.

i know mate it sounds daft now

GJ :tvrky:

Postby Wildey

you and bourne been looking at it from a tennis angle and i can understand federer winning a few matches then even pulling out of minor events to save them getting injured ahead of a grand slam thats just sensible.

but in snooker its not physical so whats to really gain you avoid Ronnie and get stuffed by Marco Fu.

Last Year John Higgins got King or Davis in the Last 16 now how easy a draw did he want and he got stuffed.

Postby Bourne

12 PTCs, several CL groups, 11 weekends of PL, exhos plus ranking events = players are far more likely to suffer fatigue now than ever before.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:12 PTCs, several CL groups, 11 weekends of PL, exhos plus ranking events = players are far more likely to suffer fatigue now than ever before.

yes but fatigue is a natrual emotion suffered through over work.

tanking is pre meditated and calculating.

Selby has played more matches than anyone this season im sure its approaching 80 by now with CL and he has another 3 tournaments to come after this before he gets to the crucible so you would expect him along the way to burn himself out.

but thats life on the pro circuit this season..

Postby GJ

wild

Being honest do you think that will affect selby when it comes to the crunch at the worlds ?

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:12 PTCs, several CL groups, 11 weekends of PL, exhos plus ranking events = players are far more likely to suffer fatigue now than ever before.

yes but fatigue is a natrual emotion suffered through over work.

tanking is pre meditated and calculating.

Selby has played more matches than anyone this season im sure its approaching 80 by now with CL and he has another 3 tournaments to come after this before he gets to the crucible so you would expect him along the way to burn himself out.

but thats life on the pro circuit this season..

True but I was just offering an explanation to why Williams struggled yesterday. The situation for Carter was a little different.

Postby Wildey

Being honest do you think that will affect selby when it comes to the crunch at the worlds ?

you would think so but we dont know just how a lot of work will affect him.

we have been critical that players not played much snooker in recent years before the crucible so winning 71 Frames over 2 weeks is tough well This year we can put that theary to the test.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

After last years semi final Robertson said that winning the Grand Prix still was the biggest moment of his career because winning titles was what players are judged on. This idea of players peaking for the Crucible only really came about in the mid 2000's when there were so few tournaments that nobody had the chance to get into a proper run of form. When Snooker had a proper calendar the World Title was usually won by someone who was in form in the spring.

1998 - Higgins beats Hendry 9-8 in the British Open Final, the biggest result of his career. Five weeks later he won his first World Title.

1999 - After a poor season Hendry turns thing around in March winning the Scottish Open & Irish Masters before winning his seventh World Title. The runner up Mark Williams had in the previous five months won three ranking titles and a Nations Cup with Wales. Semi Finalist John Higgins was UK, Masters & China Open Champ.

2000 - Mark Williams won the Thailand Open and was runner up at the Scottish Open.

2001 - Ronnie O'Sullivan beat Stephen Hendry 9-8 in the Irish Masters final a few weeks before winning the World Championship, that was his fifth title of the seaon.

The likes of O'Sullivan, Higgins & Williams were all prolific title winners before their first World Championship while Doherty, Ebdon & Robertson all knew how to win tournaments too.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:After last years semi final Robertson said that winning the Grand Prix still was the biggest moment of his career because winning titles was what players are judged on.

forgot about that with what went after the semis but your right he did say that Reaching the World Final was not his biggest success.

Postby SnookerFan

So, are we actually suggesting that players think; "I'm not going to prepare for this tournament properly, because if I lose I won't have to play Ronnie until the final..." :chin:

I can't see it somehow. And I certainly don't think that if a player is good enough to get in the top-16, they'll then be shatting themselves of certain players. Snooker is a game of concentration, and of confidence. If you're sat in your chair thinking; "My god this guy is better then me" you are preparing to lose. And you certainly aren't going to be confident enough to have consistenly good runs in tournaments.

Also, with the rankings changing every few months, I would assume players would want to be as high up as possible, not the other way around. If you're plan backfires, and you lose the first round of The Crucible, you could find yourself struggling to stay in the top-16.

I strongly doubt this happens, to be honest. Or if it did, the person doing it is a massive dumb-arse.