Topic locked

If Carter beats Higgins tomorrow ...

Postby Bourne

... then he's seeded to face O'Sullivan in the second-round of the World Championships. The amount staked on this match is huge, not just in terms of the Welsh Open but the biggest tournament on the calendar.

Carter will definitely have a 'dip' in performance tomorrow <ok>

Re: If Carter beats Higgins tomorrow ...

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:... then he's seeded to face O'Sullivan in the second-round of the World Championships. The amount staked on this match is huge, not just in terms of the Welsh Open but the biggest tournament on the calendar.

you cant think like that

he might lose tomorrow and lose first round at the crucible and he will be gutted hes not the Welsh Open champion and joining a small select of group to win 2 rankers in the same season.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:... then he's seeded to face O'Sullivan in the second-round of the World Championships. The amount staked on this match is huge, not just in terms of the Welsh Open but the biggest tournament on the calendar.

you cant think like that

he might lose tomorrow and lose first round at the crucible and he will be gutted hes not the Welsh Open champion and joining a small select of group to win 2 rankers in the same season.

:redneck:

Back in the real world, he has ambitions of being a World Champion and knows his chances go up tenfold if he doesn't face his master in R2.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

you cant think like that

:redneck:

Back in the real world, he has ambitions of being a World Champion and knows his chances go up tenfold if he doesn't face his master in R2.

no thats the ambition of a man that wants to be a World Quarter finalist <ok>

someone with real ambition wont give 2 hoots who he plays.

Postby DavieMac

I signed up to this forum thinking it was a good forum... then i see this.

I have faith though that this person, who talks :hankey: , is in the minority. Carter, who has a family to feed, is going to lose on purpose cause he might face O'S... who has lost in the 1st round of the last 3 proper events :roll:

Yeah :?

Postby Monique

GJ wrote:he isnt smart enoough to tank

He's certainly more than smart enough. He's one of the most intelligent guys on the tour.
But I don't think he would llose on purpose to avoid ROS in round 2. First and mainly because he's not that sort of person. Second because in the present form and motivation (particularly motivation IMO) ROS is he's very beatable by anyone and could well not even reach the round 2. And third because IF ROS rediscovers his form and motivation and is really up for the WC then anyone with sense and the ambition to be a World Champion would want to catch him early in the tournament rather at the latest stages.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:

He's certainly more than smart enough. He's one of the most intelligent guys on the tour.
But I don't think he would llose on purpose to avoid ROS in round 2. First and mainly because he's not that sort of person. Second because in the present form and motivation (particularly motivation IMO) ROS is he's very beatable by anyone and could well not even reach the round 2. And third because IF ROS rediscovers his form and motivation and is really up for the WC then anyone with sense and the ambition to be a World Champion would want to catch him early in the tournament rather at the latest stages.

i just think Tanking = no ambition to be World Champion.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:

i just think Tanking = no ambition to be World Champion.

1 word title already son last year

keep up :) :wave:

Postby Wildey

so what you are basically saying Robbo is a chicken that was desperate to avoid Ronnie so he lost because he knew he had no hope of beating him over 25 frames :huh: :huh2:

Postby Bourne

Sportsmen at the very top of their game are always look for the extra 1 or 2% chance they can find which means they can keep on winning. Robbo knows what he's doing, and you'd hope Ali does too <ok>

Postby GJ

:wave:
Wild wrote:so what you are basically saying Robbo is a chicken that was desperate to avoid Ronnie so he lost because he knew he had no hope of beating him over 25 frames :huh: :huh2:

robbo knows how to get the job done

100 % record in finals

where as early on up to quarters he could get caught cold

its called good strategy

wild

some facts on the tanking thread take a read you appear to have ignored them :wave:

Postby Bourne

Good point, Robbo is a perfect example of someone who can start tournaments slowly but raise his game when he needs to at the business end.

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote::wave:
Wild wrote:so what you are basically saying Robbo is a chicken that was desperate to avoid Ronnie so he lost because he knew he had no hope of beating him over 25 frames :huh: :huh2:

robbo knows how to get the job done

100 % record in finals

where as early on up to quarters he could get caught cold

its called good strategy

wild

some facts on the tanking thread take a read you appear to have ignored them :wave:

he could have got no 7 this week then he would be catching up Jimmy White very fast <ok>

Postby GJ

when he has 2 world titles come may he will be double world champion where as white as zip

:D :bowdown: :wave:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:when he has 2 world titles come may he will be double world champion where as white as zip

:D :bowdown: :wave:

theres no doubt about it thats the goal for every player but by planning like that and only focusing on that will be hard for him and you should he flop.

Postby GJ

He wont mate trust me i was far more concerned last year at this stage he was in average form at this stage and he delivered when it mattered

Postby Bourne

Well he did have a dip in performance today then, he was pretty much win-win either way and now he has a much better chance of going deep in Sheffield again.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Well he did have a dip in performance today then, he was pretty much win-win either way and now he has a much better chance of going deep in Sheffield again.

quarters at best IMO

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:
Bourne wrote:Well he did have a dip in performance today then, he was pretty much win-win either way and now he has a much better chance of going deep in Sheffield again.

quarters at best IMO

There's a surprise :limp:

Postby Monique

So did Williams yesterday. Was he "tanking"?

Postby Bourne

Monique wrote:

No, he was tired, and he already knew his World Championship draw <ok>

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:
Monique wrote:

No, he was tired, and he already knew his World Championship draw <ok>

Well Ali might have been tired also and probably was. I find the way you insist on this rather insulting for the player. You have absolutely no ground to question his honesty and even if he has a poor record against ROS, so had Day and Bingham and they both beat him over the last couple of months. Ali will know as well as anyone that ROS isn't at his best at the moment.

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:Where have I questioned his honesty ? :huh: I'm crediting him for being smart on this actually.

You are questioning his honesty because what you suggest is that he could have actually lost on purpose. That may be "smart" but it's also dishonest.

Postby Bourne

Monique wrote:
Bourne wrote:Where have I questioned his honesty ? :huh: I'm crediting him for being smart on this actually.

You are questioning his honesty because what you suggest is that he could have actually lost on purpose. That may be "smart" but it's also dishonest.

Find me a quote where I said he lost on purpose and i'll kiss your feet :wave: