Topic locked

Wyldecrest Park Welsh Open Semi Final Discussion !!!!!

Postby Wildey

February 14-20 at the Newport Centre

The First Semi Finals has a Repeat of last years Final as John Higgins (The UK and Defending Welsh Open Champion) Plays Ali Carter (The Shanghai Masters Champion).

The Other Semi final sees Mark Selby looking to go one Better than in Germany and win his second Welsh Open Title as he plays former UK Champion Stephen Maguire.

Saturday February 19

1pm

John Higgins v Ali Carter

7pm

Stephen Maguire v Mark Selby

DRAW

FORMAT OF PLAY

LIVE SCORING from World Snooker

Re: Wyldecrest Park Welsh Open Semi Final Discussion !!!!!

Postby Roland

So anyway

Top Quarter

Neil Robertson (1)
Qualifier
Marco Fu (16)
Qualifier

Graeme Dott (9)
Qualifier
Ali Carter (8)
Qualifier

Second Quarter

Ding Junhui (5)
Qualifier
Peter Ebdon (12)
Qualifier

Stephen Hendry (13)
Qualifier
Mark Selby (4)
Qualifier
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Third Quarter

Mark Williams (3)
Qualifier
Jamie Cope (14)
Qualifier

Mark Allen (11)
Qualifier
Stephen Maguire (6)
Qualifier

Bottom Quarter

Shaun Murphy (7)
Qualifier
Ronnie O’Sullivan (10)
Qualifier

Ricky Walden (15)
Qualifier
John Higgins (2)
Qualifier

http://prosnookerblog.com/2011/02/17/an ... sheffield/

and to see the points with 5000 for the winner and 4000 for runner up

http://prosnookerblog.com/rankings/2010 ... -seedings/

Postby Roland

Right I'm trying to work this out in my head but I need to write it down :redneck:

1 John Higgins
14000 26820 11600 1900 3200 57520
2 Mark J Williams 4200 23480 20500 5000 2500 55680
3 Neil Robertson 8300 25580 15860 700 1900 52340
4 Mark Selby 6900 17520 18725 4000 3200 50345
5 Ding Junhui 4500 27200 12880 2500 2500 49580
6 Stephen Maguire 5700 18420 17160 2500 3200 46980
7 Shaun Murphy 10500 15180 17905 1900 700 46185
8 Allister Carter 5700 22520 12120 1900 3200 45440

1) Carter needs to beat Higgins to leapfrog Murphy, send Murphy into the top half in Robbo's quarter and Carter down into O'Sullivan and Higgins quarter

2) If Selby beats Maguire and Carter gets to the final and loses it will stay as above but if he beats Selby in the final it will send Maguire into O'Sullivan and Higgins quarter and himself into Mark Allen and Mark Williams quarter with Murphy taking the only remaining available top slot in the top half

3) If Maguire beats Selby then Carter can only swap places with Murphy by reaching the final and a win won't affect it

<cool>

Postby Roland

No, only another 1800 points up for grabs for the winner from that table above. 800 more if you reach the final.

Carter is less than 1800 points behind Maguire and less than 800 points behind Murphy hence the scenario.

If Selby wins he can't overtake Robbo but he'll be right up his bottom. It wouldn't make a difference even if he could over take him because Robbo is default number 1 seed

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:No, only another 1800 points up for grabs for the winner from that table above. 800 more if you reach the final.

Carter is less than 1800 points behind Maguire and less than 800 points behind Murphy hence the scenario.

If Selby wins he can't overtake Robbo but he'll be right up his bottom. It wouldn't make a difference even if he could over take him because Robbo is default number 1 seed

is the defending champion for china (i think its MJW) seed 1? or robbo top seed or higgins?

Postby Roland

Tomorrow I'll have a look at my tickets and work out who I'm going to watch :D

To be honest I don't care, there will be matches I'd rather see that I'm on the wrong side of the curtain for, but there are always spare seats to be had on the other side even if it's just 1 :redneck:

I may even get a ticket to see Ronnie and be able to cash in with a swap from a mug to a match I would rather watch

Anyway, it's logical now why Carter is up first tomorrow despite him and Higgins playing the evening session tonight.

Postby Roland

Sirius B wrote:
Sonny wrote:No, only another 1800 points up for grabs for the winner from that table above. 800 more if you reach the final.

is the defending champion for china (i think its MJW) seed 1? or robbo top seed or higgins?

I don't know if all the knock out draws use the seeding positions they do in the World Champinships to be honest. That's the only one I've ever cared about enough to check anyway.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:Tomorrow I'll have a look at my tickets and work out who I'm going to watch :D

To be honest I don't care, there will be matches I'd rather see that I'm on the wrong side of the curtain for, but there are always spare seats to be had on the other side even if it's just 1 :redneck:

I may even get a ticket to see Ronnie and be able to cash in with a swap from a mug to a match I would rather watch

Anyway, it's logical now why Carter is up first tomorrow despite him and Higgins playing the evening session tonight.

if you have 2 tickets to see ronnie and you dont want them, contact me i will be the mug :redneck:

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:
Sirius B wrote:

I don't know if all the knock out draws use the seeding positions they do in the World Champinships to be honest. That's the only one I've ever cared about enough to check anyway.

so it should be

defending champ seed 1
world champ seed 2
then the rest in ranked order

??

Postby Wildey

just on another small matter before sheffield

With the introduction of the new seeding cut off system this season, the China Open will be seeded based on the ranking list produced after the completion of the Welsh Open. The Welsh Open finishes on the 20 February, and the draw for China will be performed on Monday 21 February.

It is our aim to post the draw onto the website by 5pm on that Monday

<ok>

Postby Wildey

Sirius B wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Sirius B wrote:

so it should be

defending champ seed 1
world champ seed 2
then the rest in ranked order

??

yes thats right <ok>

Postby Roland

GJ wrote:why is it logical for carter to be on first

Was it this event you wrote to World Snooker about GJ?

I think it doesn't really matter because both evening players tonight will have had the same recovery time and yes it's closer together but they'll have more time to prepare for the final.

It's logical because Carter could be in a position if he played tomorrow night where he may not care too much if he lost, if you get my meaning, Robbo fan ;)

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:
GJ wrote:why is it logical for carter to be on first

Was it this event you wrote to World Snooker about GJ?

I think it doesn't really matter because both evening players tonight will have had the same recovery time and yes it's closer together but they'll have more time to prepare for the final.

It's logical because Carter could be in a position if he played tomorrow night where he may not care too much if he lost, if you get my meaning, Robbo fan ;)

ok ;)

Postby Wildey

many dont agree with that however i think it makes perfect sense having the guy who last won the tournament to go straight to the venue and not play in cubicles and not even there defending the title if he lost in qualifiers.

being in the top 16 doesn't give you the right to be seeded 16th...

many disagreed that McCulloch missed out on being top 16 seed for the 2006 WC Because Murphy won in 2005.

the rankings is only there to help seed players as in the case of Higgins suspension WN 17 and WN 33 Stepped up.

Postby Rocket_ron

Wild wrote:many dont agree with that however i think it makes perfect sense having the guy who last won the tournament to go straight to the venue and not play in cubicles and not even there defending the title if he lost in qualifiers.

being in the top 16 doesn't give you the right to be seeded 16th...

many disagreed that McCulloch missed out on being top 16 seed for the 2006 WC Because Murphy won in 2005.

the rankings is only there to help seed players as in the case of Higgins suspension WN 17 and WN 33 Stepped up.

and WN2 :ahh: