Topic locked

The World Championship

Postby Tubberlad

We're now less than two months away from snooker's greatest event by far, and I thought I'd get your thoughts on a fortnight and a half that I can honestly say I prefer to Christmas. Much prefer. Christmas is overated, the World Championship is not.

What are your favourite memories of the Crucible?
All going well, I'll have a fair few more to look forward to, but right now I've got to say Ronnie O'Sullivan's performance in his second session against Hendry, World Championship 2008. Just a few days before that, I was a total I am a twat and was cursing as he raced ahead against Williams. Then he knocked in the most beautiful maximum to remind me that this was a player of serious ability in action, and two world titles was realistically a poor reflection of how good he was. I find Carter and Perry to be average players, I thought Hendry had enough bloody world titles as it was, so I said to myself, I really want Ronnie to do this now. The final was boring, but his performance against Hendry just blew me away. I'd never seen anything like that.

Least favourite memory?
I've always been a Matthew Stevens fan, and when Ronnie was knocked out in 2005 having been the raging hot favourite, Stevens now assumed that mantle. After a shaky semi-final against McCulloch, he was in a final against a relatively unknown qualifer called Shaun Murphy, and I was laughing. When he went 7-3 up, I said 'this is going to be easy', and 10-6 overnight meant I went to bed pretty happy. To see Murphy clawing it back, edging ahead made me sick to the pit of my stomach. Stevens got it from 14-16 to 16-16, and I believed again, but naturally, he lost the next two frames. bullocks.

Who would you like to win it this year?
Ronnie or Stevens, but neither will happen. I like Ding, for a supposedly weak minded player his achievements at this stage of his career are quite impressive, and I see him as a big contender. It would be nice to see Williams win a major again, and I think Selby is long overdue a win in the big two, so I wouldn't mind seeing him take the title. Still, Ronnie & Matthew (if he qualifies) all the way.

Who do you think will win it?
I think John Higgins & Mark Williams have that little extra quality right now, and I see them both as the main contenders. I'm not sure if it's possible right now, but a final between both would be great. I think Higgins isn't short of motivation, and he's lost just two games in 19 since his return. I also think Robertson, Ding and Selby will give it a good go, but are just that bit behind them right now.

Would you change anything about the World Championship?
No

What are you most looking forward to?
I've got my Easter holidays from school for the two weeks, and although I should be studying for the biggest exam of my life, realistically the World Championship is far more important to me, and I'll be glued to the screen as ever.

Re: The World Championship

Postby Roland

5 stars. Will hand my form in tonight :santa:

Postby GJ

2 fav memories for me

Robbo's masterclass in final session against gould and some cracking pots to finish off dott
What made the gould one even sweeter was the hatas laughing at robbo when he was gettting hammered by gould who had the last laugh though. <laugh> rofl

Least favourite memory?

Stevens losing to Murphy in 2 close matches and robbo losing to Ronnie after getting a kick on a tough pink.

Robbo World Champion or Matthew Stevens

The current world champion will win it this year.

No

Robbo lifting his 2nd world title and geting rid of the so called crucible curse.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Some surprise answers there ^

:redneck:

Postby GJ

chumba

im hardly going to say fav moment ronald winning am i

:roll: :grrr: <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

My favourite World Championship was 2003, with Ken-Do's mighty comebacks, the classic final against Williams and against Paul Hunter.

Least favourite memory?
The same match with Hunter, now very poignant watching old footage. Paul Hunter RIP.

Mark Williams making it three times, or Ding Junhui finally doing well. I'd take either.

:huh2: My predictions always go out in first round. Always.

Hell to the no. But I fear changes might happen.

Being able to watch a big snooker tournament at home, and having quite a few days off for it. :D None of this having to share a flat with parents. I'm getting in several cases of beer delivered, and several salty snacks, and really give it some that fortnight.

Postby Monique

I have a few good memories of the World Championship, but mainly it's about the 2008 edition. Indeed that second session between Ronnie and Hendo. It was a morning session, I had to work and I had videoconferencing meetings... Ronnie has never been a morning person and, considering how he had struggled the day before, I was fearing the worst. When I finally could have a glimpse at the scores I couldn't believe it: 8-0! And then watch it: mind blowing snooker. Then the win. The genuine joy despite the poor final, the celebration with the kids ... and Steve Davis going "Oh, yeah, now they have a sligh problem", refering to WPBSA and the fact that Ronnie was waiting for his punishment after his lewd comments in China and some were asking for his head. :D

Least favourite memory?
That must be last season. The atmosphere in the press room when the Higgins affair came out - we were asked to keep it quiet for a few hours - the genuine fears and despair of people like Steve Davis, Clive Everton and Janie Watkins at the damage this could bring to the sport, the interview with Dott who was shattered from his very hard battle with Selby and didn't know yet what was coming at him (Mooney was his manager) ... sort of end of a world feeling.

Ronnie. It won't happen but that's what I'd like. I don't believe he has much time left in the game. I can't see him cope with the packed schedule and the constant traveling. He often said that he would like to go on a high and it doesn't come higher than this. It would be a fitting end for a great player and a great artist in the game.
More realistically Williams. It would also be fitting that he joins the other members of the 1975 trio at 3 WCs. He's got the quality.

I honestly don't know.

Bring the semis back to best of 31. Start the semis with a morning session and give the both finalists some more rest before the final. And start it on the friday, so that the Final concludes on Sunday.

Being there again, the buzz in the media room, the photo shooting, capturing the joy of the winner, whoever he is ... and walking back to the hotel through Sheffield in the dead of the nigth.
Last edited by Monique on 18 Feb 2011, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Roland

1982 Higgins v White
1983 Thorburn 147
1984 White v Davis final
1986 Hallett v Taylor, Joe Johnson's shoes
1987 Johnson v Hendry
1988 White v Hendry
1991 Steve James beating Hendry
1992 Jimmy 147
1994 Hendry breaking his arm
1995 Hendry 147
1997 Doherty victory, Ronnie 147
1998 White beating Hendry in round 1
1999 Williams v Higgins
2000 Mark J Williams
2001 Williams clearance v Swail at 12-11 down - better than Higgins in '82, JH v ROS final (high quality)
2002 Ebdon in the final
2003 Doherty v Hunter, Williams v Doherty
2004 Dott opening a 5-0 lead v Ronnie in the final
2005 Williams 147, Ebdon v Ronnie
2006 Dott v Ebdon - classic final! Dott v ROS semi (gripping mental breakdown), Bond v Hendry re-spotted black round 1
2007 Stevens v Murphy, Selby v Murphy
2008 Swail v Wenbo, Ronnie v Hendry semi, Carter 147
2009 Ding v Wenbo, Higgins v Cope, Selby, Allen, Murphy
2010 Gould v Robbo, Selby v Dott

Least favourite memory?
Jimmy losing from 14-8 up and then another year losing 18-17
Hendry breaking the wrong arm
Griffiths beating White in the 1988 semi (at the time I had no appreciation of tactical play, Jimmy was hero, Griff was boring and so was Davis so Griff v Davis final was super boring and predictable)
Cliff losing 18-6 in 1983
Parrott beating Jimmy in 1991
having to go to bed and missing the 1985 final
Ronnie putting in false teeth to show off to Prince Naseem - classy <doh>
ROS v Williams in 2006 quarter-final. That should've been Williams hat-trick year
Selby v King 2008
1987 being generally really poor (Davis got a 127 in the final which was the tournament high break)
2010 the Higgins affair and the NOTW wrecking the world final and Dott's chances
2007 seeing Ebdon v Carter but not the 147 session

Mark Selby

John Higgins

Start on Friday so it ends on Sunday for European viewers who don't have a Bank Holiday Monday

Getting snake hissed with Smart and Casey :santa:

Postby randam05

Havent had too many yet, possibly selby beating murphy 17-16 in the semi final of the 2007 WC. Or seeing Ronnie win in 2008. And his 147 :)

Least favourite memory?

Higgins beating murphy in 2009 Final and ebdon not winning it again :-(

Dominic Dale, Anthony Hamilton or Joe Swail :bowdown: that would be amazing.

But realistically? Ronnie..or williams :) ..actually ebdon but I dont think he stands much chance.

I think John Higgins & Mark Williams have that little extra quality right now, and I see them both as the main contenders. I'm not sure if it's possible right now, but a final between both would be great. I think Higgins isn't short of motivation, and he's lost just two games in 19 since his return. I also think Robertson, Ding and Selby will give it a good go, but are just that bit behind them right now.

Nope

Watching it non stop <ok>

Postby Roland

I think the draw this year will feature:

top half
Robbo
Selby
Dott
Ding

bottom half
Higgins
Williams
O'Sullivan
Murphy
Maguire
Carter

Postby Rocket_ron

1) Ronnie Finally winning the WC in 2001 which he was destined to win
2) Ronnie's Brilliant display in the semis against Stephen 17-4 Hendry :bowdown:
3) going to the crucible for the first time last year

Least favourite memory?

1) peter Ebdon wining the 2002 WC, should have been hendry 8th
2) Peter Ebdons Come On shouting when beating stephen lee in 2001
3) ronnie saying "cant wait to send stephen home to his sad little life in scotland" <doh>

Ronnie as always or Ding or Robertson to break the curse

Ding

No not really

Hopefully going again this year

Postby Witz78

Hann offering Hicks a square go outside
Peter Franciscos swagger in 1995
Ronnie playing left handed versus Robidoux
Alexs press conference in 1990

Least favourite memory?

Hendry 1990
Hendry 1992
Hendry 1993
Hendry 1994
Hendry 1995
Hendry 1996
Hendry 1999

Higgins 1998
Higgins 2007
Higgins 2009

Dott 2006

O'Sullivan
Ebdon
Davis
Trump
Jimmy
Drago
Lisowski
McGill
TT
Guodong

Selby or Ding

Simple, would allow drink into the arena

4 days of drunken snookerfest, gambling madnes, alcohol abuse etc in April

Postby Roland

Hann offering Hicks a square go outside
Peter Franciscos swagger in 1995
Ronnie playing left handed versus Robidoux
Alexs press conference in 1990

Quality <laugh>

Postby Bourne

Probably Higgins' two wins over Cope and Selby in 2009, and his celebration at the end of one of them when he kissed his ring, could see just how much it meant to him and in going onto win the title you realise just how tiny the margins are in sport, he could easily have been out several days into the tournament and history would look so different.

Least favourite memory?
O'Sullivan vs Carter final in 2008, it was a terrific tournament that year but the final just did not live up to the rest of it which was a real disappointment.

Ding so that he could finally get the respect he deserves and that the pressure could be lifted off his back. But primarily, the winner should be the player that plays the best snooker over the 17 days <ok>

I'd make Higgins slight favourite ahead of Robertson at the moment.

Yes I think they can sort out the scheduling towards the end of the tournament a little better so it keeps the final at a higher quality of standard.

Every day is quality to be honest <cool>

Postby Smart

1) Ronnie's 147's and his wins against Hendry, jaw droppingly good snooker.............not beaten for quality
2) Jimmy beating Hendo, unfortunately NOT in the final
3) Being at the venue and feeling just uber cool

Least favourite memory?

1) Hendo
2) DJ story breaking ruining a whole tournament not to mention a final - total disgrace

Zhanger

Ding

NO

Looking forward to the whole package really. This might seem strange, but this includes choosing the music for the car journey to picking out bets. It includes the plans for drinks. It includes making use of the hotel facilities (pool / exercise machine). Dammit I am even looking forward to the breakfasts and the lovely cappachinos which set you up with a nice little buzz as you walk to the venue. I view it as a short break holiday. Sheffield centre is actually not a bad place to spend a few days in pretty good comfort.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Monique wrote:Who would you like to win it this year?
Ronnie. It won't happen but that's what I'd like. I don't believe he has much time left in the game. I can't see him cope with the packed schedule and the constant traveling. He often said that he would like to go on a high and it doesn't come higher than this. It would be a fitting end for a great player and a great artist in the game.

That's exactly what I was thinking over the last couple of months. This year it's do or die for Ronnie. What an exit that would be - especially because no other player in the world would dare to quit after becoming World Champion.

If I could write the screenplay for this years WC it would be something like this:

- wins a crappy first round match after a comeback and wins on the colours in an decider
- blows Murphy away with brilliant snooker
- beats Higgins in a super close thrilling game
- gets comfortably in front against Williams who when makes a comeback but Ronnie falls somehow over the winning line
- beats the current world champion Robertson on a respotted black

Oh dear, I have to get back to reality ...

Postby Smart

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Monique wrote:Who would you like to win it this year?

That's exactly what I was thinking over the last couple of months. This year it's do or die for Ronnie. What an exit that would be - especially because no other player in the world would dare to quit after becoming World Champion.

If I could write the screenplay for this years WC it would be something like this:

- wins a crappy first round match after a comeback and wins on the colours in an decider
- blows Murphy away with brilliant snooker
- beats Higgins in a super close thrilling game
- gets comfortably in front against Williams who when makes a comeback but Ronnie falls somehow over the winning line
- beats the current world champion Robertson on a respotted black

Oh dear, I have to get back to reality ...

You'd be a great sciptwriter. <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Least favourite memory?
Ronnie losing to Mark Allen after having an 9-7 lead. Not so much why and how but the fact that he wasn't the mighty World Champion anymore. It just hurts so much - GJ will be witnessing the same this year - especially because I thought just like GJ now: I thought my favourite was unbeatable and would surely be defending his title.

2008 - the semi final against Hendry - just that Ronnie was there on the one table setup and had a brilliant chance to win a world title. To win with a session to spare was the icing on the cake. The final was more like a walkover but still that final session was super snooker by Mr O'Sullivan. He said afterwards he would take a break - fortunately he didn't. He didn't stop at his peak but there's more to sport than winning - Ronnie is an artist: success is more like an byproduct for him - and I learned that.

Ronnie. But even if not - I'm glad and thankful for that I was able to witness Ronnie winning all three majors in my time since I was watching snooker. No other player has done that in the past 5 years.

Objective view: Higgins the big favourite, Ding/Williams favourites, Selby/Murphy/O'Sullivan/Robertson with good chances, Allen/Carter/Maguire/Dott/Fu darkhorses
Subjective view: Ronnie - you got to have the belief so that something can happen, don't you?

Final should be on a Sunday. Everything else is fine, especially the format of play is perfect.

The tense final frames of all the close matches. Every decider is interesting, in the Crucible a decider is just epic.