Barry West W/O Christopher Flight
Del Smith 5-2 Phil Seaton
Bill Oliver 1-5 Nic Barrow
Stephen Ormerod 5-4 Paul Cavney

Les Dodd 2-5 Paul Wykes
David Singh 5-3 Neil Selman
Barry West 1-5 Del Smith
Nick Barrow 5-0 Stephen Ormerod

Re: World Championship Qualifiers Stage 1!!

Postby Bourne

Just some awesome names there, hopefully the likes of Chris Flight, Les Dodd and David Singh can get on the main tour and we can hear more of them.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Just some awesome names there, hopefully the likes of Chris Flight, Les Dodd and David Singh can get on the main tour and we can hear more of them.

Less Dodd is well known for being slimmer of the year and a player Alex Higgins beat 5-2 in the 1989 European Open hopping on 1 leg for almost 4 hours <laugh>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

That's one of the things that 'irks' me about me giving up my Pro ticket. If.....I had renewed my Pro ticket each year, which is what you are supposed to do @ £100 a pop + VAT, which it was at the time, I would be eligible to enter this. <doh>

Postby Bourne

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:That's one of the things that 'irks' me about me giving up my Pro ticket. If.....I had renewed my Pro ticket each year, which is what you are supposed to do @ £100 a pop + VAT, which it was at the time, I would be eligible to enter this. <doh>

What ?! You mean ... you coulda been world champ this year ? :mood: Make sure you enter next year <cool>

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:That's one of the things that 'irks' me about me giving up my Pro ticket. If.....I had renewed my Pro ticket each year, which is what you are supposed to do @ £100 a pop + VAT, which it was at the time, I would be eligible to enter this. <doh>

i think the way this works is wrong...

if you play in the PIOS you got to give up your pro ticket. i think they should open this up with a proper qualifieing tournament for all commers to get 8 spots playing against the main tour in the first round.

Postby NedB-H

wildJONESEYE wrote:

if you play in the PIOS you got to give up your pro ticket. i think they should open this up with a proper qualifieing tournament for all commers to get 8 spots playing against the main tour in the first round.

I agree, it's daft that these old farts can enter but the PIOS guys can't. Is there any other sport where the qualifiers for the biggest tournament aren't open to players on the development tour?

Postby Alex0paul

They should make it open to all as they could probably make a fair old profit out of it. £60 entry fee with no prize money could bring in a few thousand quid.

Postby Smart

Alex0paul wrote:They should make it open to all as they could probably make a fair old profit out of it. £60 entry fee with no prize money could bring in a few thousand quid.

I'd like to enter - just to say that I had entered ....... <laugh>

Probably be some sort of record for number of shots in a best of 19 frame match...... <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:They should make it open to all as they could probably make a fair old profit out of it. £60 entry fee with no prize money could bring in a few thousand quid.

plus the players that make it through to the first qualifier against the main tour gets their pro ticket for the following season.

come on someone isnt thinking.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

It used to cost £250 to enter the World's + VAT. Probably is still around the same mark to enter.

Postby Wildey

it kicks off on friday and no online covarage <doh>

110sport has screwed up what was a good concept :mood: bucking idiots.

Postby Witz78

I wonder what colour David Taylors hair is now? :scared:

So none of the qualifiers are online???

Thered even be demand to show at least the last 48 matches on say, Eurosport wouldnt there surely?

Postby Roland

Wild you make sure to keep this section up to date over the next week because I'll be relying on you for keeping me informed! As I said earlier I'm going to be exclusively on an ipod touch for the next 9 days after today and they are a nightmare to write on so I'll be browsing mostly and will be eager to keep in touch with what's happening in the qualifiers.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Wild you make sure to keep this section up to date over the next week because I'll be relying on you for keeping me informed! As I said earlier I'm going to be exclusively on an ipod touch for the next 9 days after today and they are a nightmare to write on so I'll be browsing mostly and will be eager to keep in touch with what's happening in the qualifiers.

AS ALWAYS I AIM TO PLEASE

RESULTS AND Latest

Les Dodd 5-0 Philip Minchin
Paul Wykes 5-1 David Taylor

David Singh 3-2 Colin Mitchell
Ali Bassiri 1-5 Neil Selman

david taylor did not get far did he lol

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:

I'd like to enter - just to say that I had entered ....... <laugh>

Probably be some sort of record for number of shots in a best of 19 frame match...... <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

Totally. I've never played snooker in my life, I can't even play pool. I'd enter, hoping for a high-break of 1. <laugh>

Postby N_Castle07

Interesting read from wiki,

David Taylor (born 29 July 1943) is a retired English professional snooker player. He won the World and English Amateur Championships in 1968, before the success of those wins encouraged him to turn professional. Although an excellent player, Taylor never quite reached the very top of the game. He was nicknamed "The Silver Fox" because of his prematurely grey hair.
He reached three major finals, but lost them all. The first was the UK Championship in 1978 (he lost to Doug Mountjoy 9-15). Then, in 1981, he lost to Steve Davis in the Yamaha Organs Trophy (later the British Open) 6-9, and he lost 6-9 to Tony Knowles in the 1982 Jameson International. The last of these was his only ranking event final; the others would be ranking events in the future but were not at the time he reached the final. In the Quarter Finals of this event he beat the then World Champion, Steve Davis 5-3. His best performance in the World Championship was at the 1980 event, when he lost to Cliff Thorburn 7-16 in the semi-final having beaten the number one seed and 6 times World Champion Ray Reardon 13-11 in the Quarter Final. His only major tournament win was with Steve Davis and John Spencer during the 1981 State Express World Team Classic for the England team. He was a member of the elite Top 16 World Rankings for 10 consecutive years until the 1985/6 season, reaching a high of No 7 in the 1981/2 season. His final appearance in the televised part of the World Championship came in 1987.
He has entered the 2010 World Snooker qualifying rounds and will play Paul Wykes in Match 2.
Outside professional tournament play, Taylor once made three consecutive total clearances at an exhibition match and also recorded seven centuries in seven frames in a witnessed practice session.
He was one of the two commentators during Steve Davis' first televised maximum break. After his career wound down he ran an award-winning hotel.
He currently lives near Dunham in Cheshire.
He was the first snooker player to pot all balls in the final round of BBC snooker gameshow Big Break.

Postby Roland

So those 3 consecutive total clearances were in an exhibition? Well that's one legend shattered! 7 centuries in a practice session is pretty good - next thing you'll tell me it was line ups <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Friday 26 February 2010

Results

Les Dodd 5-0 Philip Minchin
Paul Wykes 5-1 David Taylor
David Singh 5-3 Colin Mitchell
Ali Bassiri 1-5 Neil Selman

2.30pm

Match 5 – Barry West v Christopher Flight
Match 6 – Del Smith v Phil Seaton
Match 7 – Bill Oliver v Nic Barrow
Match 8 – Stephen Ormerod v Paul Cavney

7.30pm

Match 9 – Less Dodd v Paul Wykes
Match 10 – David Singh v Neil Selman
Match 11 – Winner match 5 v Winner match 6
Match 12 – Winner match 7 v Winner match 8

Postby Wildey

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Live Scoring cant cope with Pre Qualifiers without going tits up <laugh>

Latest

Barry West w/o Christopher Flight
Del Smith 0-1 Phil Seaton
Bill Oliver 1-1 Nic Barrow
Stephen Ormerod 0-0 Paul Cavney

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:

id have a pre-qualifying tournament for the PIOS, old farts with their pro tickets and the best amatuer talent in the game to find 16 players who would the the provisionally ranked lowest 16 players who normally play in the 1st qualifying rounds of tournaments.

As well as the current set up of these old has beens getting a chance at glory at expense of the PIOS etc, another gripe i have is the way 4 random 65-96 ranked players get picked to play 4 of these guys. Whilst they should win easily (well apart from last year when Knowles beat someone on the tour) and see it as match practice before the real stuff starts, its still unfair on those 4 players