Topic locked

When did Ryan Day get so good?

Postby SnookerFan

Damn man, who saw that victory over Jimmy White? He was getting doubles for fun. :scared:

I didn't see the match against Ronnie. How did he play? Has he got any chance of winning? I thought he was awesome against White.

Re: When did Ryan Day get so good?

Postby Monique

He started against Ronnie knocking in 2 tons. Ronnie hadn't done much wrong, because he hadn't done much at all. Then Ronnie replied by making one ton of his own. At that stage Ryan had 99% pot sucess and Ronnie was trailing with 94 or 95 % (not sure anymore for that matters!) ...
Then nerves kicked in a bit for both. In the last frame in particular Ronnie looked as if frustration was getting the better of him and was giving Ryan chances after chances, which he didn't take. Ryan was ahead in the frame but Ronnie recomposed himself and started building a break, the way he can do, picking very difficult reds and gaining position on colours from there. The last red was on the cushion near the right middle pocket. Ronnie played a mid distance pink, with position as to dislodge the red. Missed the pot but got perfect position (how often do we see that? ;))... Ryan took it from there, knocked in a difficult brown under pressure and won...
All credit to him. It was totally deserved. But I'm not sure what would have happened if Ronnie had got that pink and made it 3-3.

Ryan Day when playing relaxed is and always was absolutely awsome. But he's an anxious person and doesn't always cope with pressure. A short format with no MSI should suit him. Not too much time to brood on things and build angst.
Last edited by Monique on 17 Feb 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

Ryan always looks nervous

I think its a 50/50 match today but i hope matthew wins

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:He started against Ronnie knocking in 2 tons. Ronnie hadn't done much wrong, because he hadn't done much at all. Then Ronnie replied by making one ton of his own. At that stage Ryan had 99% pot sucess and Ronnie was trailing with 94 or 95 % (not sure anymore for that matters!) ...
Then nerves kicked in a bit for both. In the last frame in particular Ronnie looked as if frustration was getting the better of him and was giving Ryan chances after chances, which he didn't take. Ryan was ahead in the frame but Ronnie recomposed himself and started building a break, the way he can do, picking very difficult reds and gaining position on colours from there. The last red was on the cushion near the right middle pocket. Ronnie played a mid distance pink, with position as to dislodge the red. Missed the pot but got perfect position (how often do we see that? ;))... Ryan took it from there, knocked in a difficult brown under pressure and won...
All credit to him. It was totally deserved. But I'm not sure what would have happened if Ronnie had got that pink and made it 3-3.

Ryan Day when playing relaxed is and always was absolutely awsome. But he's an anxious person and doesn't always cope with pressure. A short format with no MSI should suit him. Not too much time to brood on things and build angst.

Sounds like a good match. Pity, I was moving in on Wednesday. I didn't see it.

Ryan Day for the Welsh Open title.

Postby Alex0paul

New cue at the start of january has probably given him some new motivation.

Postby Sickpotter

Ryan stormed on the scene a few years back and then had a real drop in form. Quite frankly I was surprised he hasn't seen a bigger drop in his ranking.

No mattter, he's a very capable player but still lacking a bit of confidence which makes him vulnerable under the gun. IMO he'll need a few more runs deep into events before he'll grab another title but there's always a chance.

Postby Monique

Sickpotter wrote:Ryan stormed on the scene a few years back and then had a real drop in form. Quite frankly I was surprised he hasn't seen a bigger drop in his ranking.

No mattter, he's a very capable player but still lacking a bit of confidence which makes him vulnerable under the gun. IMO he'll need a few more runs deep into events before he'll grab another title but there's always a chance.

He never won a title. He was three times runner-up. He is lacking confidence, always was. Shame because the ability is there big time.
Last edited by Monique on 17 Feb 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bourne

Suffered the letdown against Stevens :| But a decent outside shot at the Worlds, 2 QFs in a row before his R1 loss last year but he looks to have snapped out of that form now. Seems to be benefitting from the fact people are 'ignoring' him as an also-ran all of a sudden.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Suffered the letdown against Stevens :| But a decent outside shot at the Worlds, 2 QFs in a row before his R1 loss last year but he looks to have snapped out of that form now. Seems to be benefitting from the fact people are 'ignoring' him as an also-ran all of a sudden.

Is it possible to tank it, if you're not a top-16 player? :huh: