Post a reply

Putting a new tip on a cue

Postby Witz78

Serious question here guys

ive never actually put a tip on before, tips hav always tended to last the lifetime of the cue but as this is a Parris i dont fancy just throwing it into the cupboard and buying a new one cos the tip has broken off.

whats the best way to glue on the new tip?

ive cleaned and filed down the top of the cue and the base of the tip.

should i overdo the superglue on both the tip and the cue and clamp them in position together for a while, wiping away the excess glue ?

or should i go easy on the glue ?

help please, sickpotter, John , anyone?

Ive a £400 quid best of 13 on Sat and i need to get this sorted ASAP <ok>

Re: Putting a new tip on a cue

Postby randam05

I re-tipped mine at the weekend as I do it atleast once every two or three months. I usually put lots of glue down, push down hard as possible and clamp tightly, wait to dry and sand off the excess glue..then you get a correct amount of glue under the tip and finished with a clean edge, but im no proffessional so wait for them to comment <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

dont be fooled into buying any tip glue as its crap just locktiteTM superglue and put a dob on the ferrule and place your tip central and press down for about 10mins leave for about half hour then shape your tip to your desired shape <ok>

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:I re-tipped mine at the weekend as I do it atleast once every two or three months. I usually put lots of glue down, push down hard as possible and clamp tightly, wait to dry and sand off the excess glue..then you get a correct amount of glue under the tip and finished with a clean edge, but im no proffessional so wait for them to comment <ok>

Thanks for that

ive actually just gave it a go

did it as per your way except ive cleaned off the excess glue

have clamped it down with masses of selotape and will see what its like in the morning

why do you change your tip so often?

im depressed that i had to do mine but it got damaged about 2 months ago and i was actually playing tournaments with it even though a bit was flapping off it,very distracting but i would just spin the cue round before a shot to minimise the amount of contact that the damaged bit made with the cueball. I tend to play low on the cueball and screw back most of the time as im a power player so didnt affect me as much as others possibly.

Postby Witz78

Sirius B wrote:dont be fooled into buying any tip glue as its crap just locktiteTM superglue and put a dob on the ferrule and place your tip central and press down for about 10mins leave for about half hour then shape your tip to your desired shape <ok>

yeh the tips far too big and rounded for my liking

i like a totally flat thin tip but these were the only ones on sale in the local sports shop.

If i lose the first frame and am not happy with the tip on Sat ill just ditch it and hunt around the club for a cue that looks half decent

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
Sirius B wrote:dont be fooled into buying any tip glue as its crap just locktiteTM superglue and put a dob on the ferrule and place your tip central and press down for about 10mins leave for about half hour then shape your tip to your desired shape <ok>

i like a totally flat thin tip but these were the only ones on sale in the local sports shop.

If i lose the first frame and am not happy with the tip on Sat ill just ditch it and hunt around the club for a cue that looks half decent

if your ferrel is 9.5mm i just buy a 9mm tip because then you'll find it doesnt need much sanding

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:I re-tipped mine at the weekend as I do it atleast once every two or three months. I usually put lots of glue down, push down hard as possible and clamp tightly, wait to dry and sand off the excess glue..then you get a correct amount of glue under the tip and finished with a clean edge, but im no proffessional so wait for them to comment <ok>

Thanks for that

ive actually just gave it a go

did it as per your way except ive cleaned off the excess glue

have clamped it down with masses of selotape and will see what its like in the morning

why do you change your tip so often?

im depressed that i had to do mine but it got damaged about 2 months ago and i was actually playing tournaments with it even though a bit was flapping off it,very distracting but i would just spin the cue round before a shot to minimise the amount of contact that the damaged bit made with the cueball. I tend to play low on the cueball and screw back most of the time as im a power player so didnt affect me as much as others possibly.

Rocket rons idea sounds pretty fine.

I tip so often cause im awfully fussy with my tip and im always sanding down to get the correct curve and fluffiness, and soon as the wall gets below a millimetre its off and replaced..this happens quickly obviously because im sanding so often.

Im not happy with the one at the moment, so will play my match tomorrow night and retip again on friday. Sometimes I change 3 or 4 times in a week till im happy <ok>

But im just fussy and being finickity as usual .. youll be fine! <ok>

Postby Witz78

Sirius B wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

if your ferrel is 9.5mm i just buy a 9mm tip because then you'll find it doesnt need much sanding

9.5mm ferrel and ive went and bought a 10mm tip :huh:

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
Sirius B wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

9.5mm ferrel and ive went and bought a 10mm tip :huh:

it doesnt matter that you hve a 10mm tip.. just telling you what i do

Postby Sickpotter

Do not use a smaller tip than the ferrule :scared:

You drasticly increase the chance of ripping the cloth on screw shots as the edge of the ferrule will be exposed and can catch the cloth. Playing rail shots can leave some nasty marks as well.

My recommendation is to always use a tip 1 or even 2 mm larger than the ferrule. Sand the ferrule top and the bottom of the tip, apply your glue to both surfaces, push the tip on wiping away excess glue from the ferrule.

With the larger tip it's easier to apply, you get lots of room for shaping and you've no chance of damage.

The feel of a tip is everything, my preference is one that's firm. I actually like the ElkMaster blue tips but like everything that's mass produced the quality varies a lot. I pick through for one that's thick enough that it'll survive some compression and fairly firm. Out of a box I might find only 10% that I'd use :roll:

Because the tip is firm but not a rock, there's bound to be some compression when I initially start playing with it requiring that I reshape it while I play for the next while. By using a thicker tip you have the room to reshape and still have a proper, playable tip at the end instead of a tip that'll be done with 30 hrs play.

If I find a tip I like but it's not quite firm enough I've used a vice to compress the tip before applying it. Saves you the trouble of winding up with a tip that's too thin after you've hit a few hundred shots.

I'm not a huge fan of crazy glue, it makes putting the tip on a rushed process and it's almost impossible to clean off any excess. That's just me though, lots of people use it and have no issues. Personally I've always liked Tweetens but hey, I'm a traditionalist and don't need everything done fast ;)

Go big with the tip, give yourself the freedom to truly get your tip hitting the way you want. It's a process and takes a few sessions but the end result is a lasting tip that generates the spin and feel you want. :idea:

Postby Witz78

Sickpotter wrote:Do not use a smaller tip than the ferrule :scared:

You drasticly increase the chance of ripping the cloth on screw shots as the edge of the ferrule will be exposed and can catch the cloth. Playing rail shots can leave some nasty marks as well.

My recommendation is to always use a tip 1 or even 2 mm larger than the ferrule. Sand the ferrule top and the bottom of the tip, apply your glue to both surfaces, push the tip on wiping away excess glue from the ferrule.

With the larger tip it's easier to apply, you get lots of room for shaping and you've no chance of damage.

The feel of a tip is everything, my preference is one that's firm. I actually like the ElkMaster blue tips but like everything that's mass produced the quality varies a lot. I pick through for one that's thick enough that it'll survive some compression and fairly firm. Out of a box I might find only 10% that I'd use :roll:

Because the tip is firm but not a rock, there's bound to be some compression when I initially start playing with it requiring that I reshape it while I play for the next while. By using a thicker tip you have the room to reshape and still have a proper, playable tip at the end instead of a tip that'll be done with 30 hrs play.

If I find a tip I like but it's not quite firm enough I've used a vice to compress the tip before applying it. Saves you the trouble of winding up with a tip that's too thin after you've hit a few hundred shots.

I'm not a huge fan of crazy glue, it makes putting the tip on a rushed process and it's almost impossible to clean off any excess. That's just me though, lots of people use it and have no issues. Personally I've always liked Tweetens but hey, I'm a traditionalist and don't need everything done fast ;)

Go big with the tip, give yourself the freedom to truly get your tip hitting the way you want. It's a process and takes a few sessions but the end result is a lasting tip that generates the spin and feel you want. :idea:

thanks for that sickpotter

think id pretty muh followed your advice so must have been beginners luck

it had set well though slightly squint when i checked it after work so have gone to town with a file and sandpaper and it seems better

luckily have fixed up a practice game 2night so just about toput it through its paces to see if it stays on nd how i feel playing with it