Post a reply

Jack Lisowski

Postby Roland

I'm generally not one for lifting DH's blog and pasting here but this one is worth it

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -jack.html

Jack Lisowski can be forgiven if he didn’t sleep last night. The 19 year-old makes his television debut today against the world’s no.1, John Higgins, at the Wyldecrest Welsh Open.

Lisowski is in his first season; Higgins is a three times world champion and all time great.

This is truly snooker’s version of David v Goliath. You’ll recall David was the winner of that one, although it wasn’t a best of seven.

Jack contributes a column in Snooker Scene each month detailing life on the circuit. He became a professional at the start of the season and has grabbed his opportunity with both hands – proof that it can be done, even though the qualifying system can be tough.

He didn’t start so well, losing his first three matches. At that stage, the wild-eyed wonder of being a snooker pro was replaced with harsh reality: it’s difficult.

Lisowski was worried at this point that he may lose his place on the tour but this is where the PTC series came into its own. Unlike recent seasons, there was plenty of snooker to be played and plenty of time to bed in.

Lo and behold, Lisowski reached the final of PTC 3, which lit the blue touch paper for what has been a highly productive season.

He knew it would virtually guarantee his tour card, which took some of the pressure off, and he will also be in the grand finals next month.

Lisowski qualified for the German Masters but, obviously, his match against Higgins will be the biggest of his career thus far.

I would wish any young player well in such circumstances but Jack is worthy of special mention. Three years ago, he was told he had Hodgkins Lymphoma, a form of cancer.

This is horrendous news at any age but for a 16 year-old it must have been a very painful experience.

It was especially hard that this frequent visitor to junior tournaments was unable to play snooker at this time.

But Jack didn’t feel sorry for himself. Instead he filled his time reading up on world events, subscribing to the Economist and scouring the pages of The Times.

Thankfully he has recovered and is now fully focused on his career. He shares a house in Romford with Judd Trump and practises at the Grove Snooker Club there, also a base for Ronnie O’Sullivan.

I’m impressed with his general attitude. He wants to learn all the time and though he will be understandably nervous today, he knows Higgins is a big favourite and that he should just enjoy it.

He is also articulate beyond his years and smart too: when he won a bit of prize money earlier in the season instead of going wild he invested it in a share portfolio, which made a profit.

Lisowski represents the future of the game. He is currently the outstanding choice for newcomer of the year in the revived WPBSA awards and has many years of playing ahead of him.

How well he does is up to him and the standard he can attain but he has clearly turned professional at an ideal time, with plenty of opportunities ahead of him.

He credits receiving the WPBSA's Paul Hunter Scholarship for him improving enough to become a professional. Hunter won the Welsh Open at the age of 19. It is asking a lot for Lisowski to do the same but, whatever else he does in his career, this is an important moment and one he will always remember.

I’m sure three years ago there must have been concern that a day like today would never come. Well, it has come and good luck to Jack this afternoon.

The more I hear about this kid, the more I like him.

Re: Jack Lisowski

Postby Wildey

he has a great attitude towards being a major success in the game.....

looking forward for his match with higgins dont expect him to win but im looking forward to see him testing his game against the best.

Postby Alex0paul

Cannot stand him at all

Postby Bourne

First time i'll have seen him today, looking forward to seeing how he copes under the pressures of the TV lights. Go on Jack :D

Postby Noel

Jack has the magic beans.
He made his stalk.
He will scale the heights.
He will bang on the door of that giant
in the Spanish Castle and hear "Fee Fie Foe Fum,
I smell the blood of an Englishman... ".
Jack will sing at the top of his lungs as he runs
back to his beanstalk, "Hey hey you YOU get off
of my cloud..!" And the Giant will run after, stumble
and fall and hit the ground like a paper bag filled with
haggis and rubles.

The end and the beginning.

=o)

Noel

Postby Roland

After watching him v Higgins it's safe to say he is a genuine prospect for top player status. You can see the raw talent, and you can see the lack of experience all in one go. A few years time from now and he'll be a regular contender, if not sooner.

Postby Bourne

Could well be the next Judd Trump <ok>

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Could well be the next Judd Trump <ok>

poor lad :-(

Postby Roland

Judd Trump doesn't look as self assured as Lisowski. I would say Lisowski is more likely to make it to the top of the two. Judd should be delivering right now and he's not is he?

Frame just called him "The Big Lisowski" - I think that's what you call a nickname :redneck:

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I ended up taking the 12/5 on offer about Jack Lisowski this morning. The boy can play, make no mistake.
I didn't see the match, was trying to follow it on WS but I've a rubbish load of issues at work at the mo with Teams being short staffed & getting everything done for them, fairly.
We've just announced a 'hire freeze' at work & Johnboy ain't happy listening to people being under so much pressure & I can't do JS for them apart from listen to them. :grrr:

Postby Smart

What I noticed and commented at the time from the PTC matches I saw, was his manner around the table. He has swagger, and class......................name another lefty with any real swagger and class.

<ok>

Postby Roland

Mark Williams

Postby GJ

robbo world champion

Postby Roland

there's 2 :redneck:

Postby Roland

Smart wrote:
Sonny wrote:Mark Williams

<laugh> rofl <laugh> rofl

manufactured <ok>

:chin:

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:rofl
GJ wrote:robbo world champion

no class whatsoever, manufactured totally <ok>

:chin: :roll:

Postby Roland

I know what swagger means. You saying Mark Williams doesn't have it.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:I know what swagger means. You saying Mark Williams doesn't have it.

no he does not......................swagger is the way that Jack moves around the table, and his mannerisms <ok>

Robbo and Williams DO NOT HAVE SWAGGER <ok>

Postby GJ

ronnie <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

Sorry wrong thread <doh>

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Judd Trump doesn't look as self assured as Lisowski.

<ok>

what i will say about Jack when i saw him in the Gloucester EPTC he had a more balanced game and did refuse a some long pots in favour of a good safety. yesterday he did go hell for leather after most pots and fair play got most but i think he just got carried away in the moment.

he shares a house with Trump lets hope Trump's bad habits not rubbing off on him :redneck:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
Smart wrote:
Sonny wrote:Mark Williams

manufactured <ok>

mark williams is as natural a player as ive ever seen everything looks so easy for him when he plays well

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:

<ok>

what i will say about Jack when i saw him in the Gloucester EPTC he had a more balanced game and did refuse a some long pots in favour of a good safety. yesterday he did go hell for leather after most pots and fair play got most but i think he just got carried away in the moment.

he shares a house with Trump lets hope Trump's bad habits not rubbing off on him :redneck:

Jack is still only 19 and if the youngsters don't go for their pots who will? He is still raw, he has to learn and he is willing to learn. He will get there.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:

<ok>

Judd was beating O'Sullivan in a ranking quarter-final at the age of 19 and has since gone onto win 3 good quality tournaments and continues to progress up the game, as well as qualifying for a World Championship at only 17, so there's no doubt Jack has a lot to live up to if he wants to be even considered a wannabe of JT <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

<ok>

Judd was beating O'Sullivan in a ranking quarter-final at the age of 19 and has since gone onto win 3 good quality tournaments and continues to progress up the game, as well as qualifying for a World Championship at only 17, so there's no doubt Jack has a lot to live up to if he wants to be even considered a wannabe of JT <ok>

mate anyone who watched that Ronnie beat himself...