Topic locked

Re: I'm not sure about these best of seven matches....

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote::sad: It sound stupid, but best of 9s would make them much more entertaining. I'm up for two days, and if I stay on every match, it's possible I'll only see 28 frames over two days. :-(

haven't we been here before lol

theres better innovation and after the PTC best of 7s hardly a innovation.

Watching Live Scoring this week a player going 2-0 it looked so much Bigger lead than a Best of 9 despite it being only 2 Less frames.

i think Tubber Sets Idea or the way they did it in the Mita World Masters should be Looked at.

Postby Roland

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:It's so they can have all action on tv tables

Pay for some tickets, you tight-arse. Not enough fans go to snooker as it is. <laugh> :wave:

I've spent more in snooker tickets this year than I ever have before or probably ever will again

Postby Smart

<ok>
Sonny wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Pay for some tickets, you tight-arse. Not enough fans go to snooker as it is. <laugh> :wave:

I've spent more in snooker tickets this year than I ever have before or probably ever will again

TIGHT bottom <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Good man. Keep it up. :D

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Good man. Keep it up. :D

:limp:

Postby Witz78

i think theyd benefit from going one step further and adopting the World Open set up with ONE table and best of 5s then the paying public and the fans would be able to see every match.

(just kidding before you go off on one SF)

I was at the World Open and it was non stop drama after drama i found and the Welsh Open with best of 7s and it should offer something similar

Postby Wildey

yes but they play first session on Monday at 11am all they had to do to get all best of 9 on TV Tables was Start 11am on Tuesday and Wednesday as well.

its been dressed up as they doing us a favour to knock out the 3rd table which wasn't televised so we see all matches.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:i think theyd benefit from going one step further and adopting the World Open set up with ONE table and best of 5s then the paying public and the fans would be able to see every match.

I was at the World Open and it was non stop drama after drama i found and the Welsh Open with best of 7s and it should offer something similar

<doh>

Your opinion is no longer welcome on this forum.

Postby Wildey

look at the squedule for welsh in 2009

Tuesday 17 February 2009
1.00pm
Match 1 – Mark Selby v Paul Davies
Match 8 – Shaun Murphy v Barry Pinches
Match 5 – Allister Carter v Jimmy White

Match 2 – Joe Perry v Williams / Gilbert
Match 12 – Stephen Hendry v Martin Gould
Match 6 - Graeme Dott v Mike Dunn

7.00pm
Match 4 – Ryan Day v Michael Judge
Match 3 – Peter Ebdon v Anthony Hamilton

3 sessions best of 9s

look at the schedule this year

Tuesday February 15

1pm
Mark Williams v Marco Fu
Mark Allen v Rod Lawler

NB 2pm
Mark Selby v Stuart Bingham
Peter Ebdon v Dominic Dale

7pm
Graeme Dott v Jamie Burnett
Neil Robertson v Nigel Bond

3 session best of 7s

the only day thats different is in 2009 there was only 2 sessions on a monday compared to 4 sessions this year.they could have easly made the format work on 2 tables best of 9.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:i think theyd benefit from going one step further and adopting the World Open set up with ONE table and best of 5s then the paying public and the fans would be able to see every match.

<doh>

says who? :D

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

<doh>

says who? :D

Says snooker. :D

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:look at the squedule for welsh in 2009

Tuesday 17 February 2009
1.00pm
Match 1 – Mark Selby v Paul Davies
Match 8 – Shaun Murphy v Barry Pinches
Match 5 – Allister Carter v Jimmy White

Match 2 – Joe Perry v Williams / Gilbert
Match 12 – Stephen Hendry v Martin Gould
Match 6 - Graeme Dott v Mike Dunn

7.00pm
Match 4 – Ryan Day v Michael Judge
Match 3 – Peter Ebdon v Anthony Hamilton

3 sessions best of 9s
the only day thats different is in 2009 there was only 2 sessions on a monday compared to 4 sessions this year.they could have easly made the format work on 2 tables best of 9.

I was there that day. Somebody's phone went off when Ali Carter was on a shot, and he got in a mood.

Good times. :D

Postby SnookerFan

Just got back from being there live yesterday, and the best of sevens weren't too bad. An improvement on the best of five guff that we had to watch in the World Open.

Could have done with a Mid-Session Interval though. Seven frames is a hell of a long time to go without getting up and walking around. Especially the way Matthew Stevens was playing. <laugh>

Postby Roland

Some of you just don't get it do you?

Best of 5 guff? The World Open was a quality event. Yes I prefer longer format but when the olymics is on I like 100m, 200m, 400m and 1500m.

These best of 7s with no interval have worked fine given their sole aim was to get all matches televised.

My biggest grievance with the Welsh this year is that they're not doing the roll on roll off quarter-final day.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Some of you just don't get it do you?

Best of 5 guff? The World Open was a quality event. Yes I prefer longer format but when the olymics is on I like 100m, 200m, 400m and 1500m.

These best of 7s with no interval have worked fine given their sole aim was to get all matches televised.

My biggest grievance with the Welsh this year is that they're not doing the roll on roll off quarter-final day.

That didn't bother me too much, as I am usually at work that day anyway. And I think there were times that matches are starting at about 10:30pm. Something did have to be done about that.

And the best of sevens weren't too bad, I must say. Though the MSI is a bit of a burden if you're going to sit there watching it all afternoon. Especially if you do more then one day in a row. I appreciate televisually that isn't an issue. But sitting on uncomfortable chairs, without being able to go out to have slash and get a new bottle of drink is a pain. Though if you sat at the back, far away from the action they did let you in and out between frames.

For me, the World Open got very boring by Thursday or Friday. I tried to enjoy it, I even had the week off to watch it. But the best of five was just too short for me to become gripped with. Maybe it'll grow on me in the next few years, but it took everything that got me hooked on snooker away from it. :-( Having Hazel pretend that somebody being 2-0 was a massive mountain to climb, and that winning three in a row was some kind of Ken-Do type comeback just looked silly.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:Roll-on roll-off QF day <cool>

Never a fan, personally. I can see the idea of watching four straight quarter finals is :bowdown: but I didn't like the idea of having matches start at getting on for midnight. But only because I'm usually falling asleep at about 6:30pm. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

love that.

they used to do that with sky tournaments as well before the red button interactive coverage started.

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:

love that.

they used to do that with sky tournaments as well before the red button interactive coverage started.

The organisers have missed a trick not having the grand slam Friday. I personally feel that was the main hook with the Welsh Open, and I feel it should actually be used for all the textbook ranking tournaments...