Post a reply

Rate the 2010-11 tournaments to date

Postby Witz78

Ok, fairly simple here, rate the tournaments to date with your rating out of 10 and say your piece on them if you wish.

I will set the ball rolling with my scores for them all and will elaborate on my reasons more fully tomorrow.

SHANGHAI MASTERS 3/10 :zzz:
PTC 4/10 :chin:
WORLD OPEN 9/10 :excited:
PREMIER LEAGUE 8/10 :cracker:
POWER SNOOKER 6/10 :mosh2:
EPTC 7/10 :idea:
UK CHAMPIONSHIP 8.5/10 :clap:
MASTERS 3/10 :sad:
CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE 2/10 :john:
SKY SHOOTOUT 10/10 :tree:
GERMAN MASTERS 8/10 <cool>

Re: Rate the 2010-11 tournaments to date

Postby randam05

Is it in terms of general enjoyment or enjoyment compared with other tournaments?
I will do it in snooker terms.

Shanghai Masters 5/10
PTC's 6/1o ...only because i went to one and it was super! and dominic dale won one of them.
World Open 7.5/10
Premier League 7.5/10
Power snooker 1.5/10
UK Championship 8/10
Masters 7/10
Championship league 3.5/10 only so low because i had to watch in a tiny pop out player at my computer.
Sky shootout 7/10
German Masters 8.5/10

Postby Wildey

SHANGHAI MASTERS 6.5/10

PTC 5/10

WORLD OPEN 6/10

PREMIER LEAGUE 6.5/10

POWER SNOOKER unclassified as irrelevant bullocks crap

EPTC 5/10

UK CHAMPIONSHIP 9/10

MASTERS 7.5/10

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE 1/10

SKY SHOOTOUT unclassified as irrelevant enjoyed it but not as snooker because its not

GERMAN MASTERS 10/10

Postby SnookerFan

SHANGHAI MASTERS 6/10

PTC: Haven't been able to see any, how do I vote? :huh2:

WORLD OPEN 2/10 The short matches killed it for me. No excitement. A wasted week off.

PREMIER LEAGUE 4/10 Not really my thing, but watched a fair bit of it as my parent's have Sky.

POWER SNOOKER 5/10

EPTC See the PTCs

UK CHAMPIONSHIP 9/10 :clap: Attended the opening weekend. Was ill, and was asleep for the end of the tournament. You can tell the strength of a tournament if you miss some of the final, and still regret it two months later.

MASTERS 8/10 Loved it. Absolutely loved it. I don't understand why people didn't. :huh2:

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE 1/10 :huh2: I watched one day of it. And that's more of it then I've ever seen before. If it was on at non-work hours, and had a better way of viewing it then a bookie's website, it had the potential to score higher. Needs to sort that out.

SKY SHOOTOUT Didn't watch enough of it to comment. I saw up to and including Ronnie O'Sullivan's match with Marco Fu. Didn't like what I saw, but will give it the benefit of the doubt, due to rave reviews.

GERMAN MASTERS 7/10 <cool> Very good tournament, but far too short. Add two or three days to the start and it'd give you a lot more to watch, and would feel like a proper tournament. Excellent venue though.

Postby GJ

SHANGHAI MASTERS 3/10

PTC 4/10

WORLD OPEN 9/10

PREMIER LEAGUE 5/10

POWER SNOOKER 0/10

EPTC 4/10

UK CHAMPIONSHIP 9/10

MASTERS 7/10

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE 0/10

SKY SHOOTOUT 1/10

GERMAN MASTERS 6/10

Postby Wildey

im with snookerfan regarding the World Open by the time you get in to the match bang its over and i felt like oliver twist asking for more.

but snookerfan WTF 5 For power snooker thats 7 to much <ok>

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:im with snookerfan regarding the World Open by the time you get in to the match bang its over and i felt like oliver twist asking for more.

:bs: :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:im with snookerfan regarding the World Open by the time you get in to the match bang its over and i felt like oliver twist asking for more.

I kind of figured that 5/10 was a mark of 'Okay, but nothing great' which is what I considered Power Snooker to be. I watched the afternoon and was entertained, but I had to miss the evening and :huh2: no big deal. I don't think it was awful, but I don't think it was awesome.

I was thinking of making it 4/10 in retrospect, maybe a truer reflection of Power Snooker. There's no way that it was that close to the Shanghai Masters in terms of quality. But at the same time, this many months on from Shanghai I realised that the only match I can remember happening from Shanghai was the final of Ali Carter vs Jamie Burnett. Other then the fact that I thought vaguely that Mark Selby got to the semis, I couldn't remember a thing about the tournament. I remembered enjoying it, but if a tournament doesn't leave you with enduring memories, it essentially has to be marked down.

My enduring impression of Power Snooker was that it had as much to do with ranking events as Big Break, and was almost as irrelevant if you missed some of it. If you've got nothing better to do though, it's fine to tune in and watch it and can be quite enjoyable. Which is more then I thought it'd be with those ridiculous rules.

Postby Bourne

SHANGHAI MASTERS 4/10
PTC 2/10
WORLD OPEN 9/10
PREMIER LEAGUE 7/10
POWER SNOOKER 5/10
EPTC 3/10
UK CHAMPIONSHIP 8/10
MASTERS 5/10
CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE 2/10
SKY SHOOTOUT 8/10
GERMAN MASTERS 6/10

Postby SnookerFan

I think best of five is just too short for a match. People on snooker forums were constantly complaining that best of 9 was too short, until Hearn decided best of fives were good idea. As criticisng a Hearn idea isn't the done thing, everybody went :bowdown:

Personally, I like best of nines, but I think they're minimal. I always said that, even before Hearn took over. I'm disappointed that the matches I'll be at the Welsh Open will be best of 7 with no MSI. I think that detracts from the excitement, especially the lack of the MSI. But we'll see how it goes.

I'd like to see a lot more best of nine tournaments next season, though.

Postby Casey

SHANGHAI MASTERS 4/10
WORLD OPEN 9.5/10
PREMIER LEAGUE 3/10
POWER SNOOKER 1/10
UK CHAMPIONSHIP 8/10
MASTERS 6.5/10
SKY SHOOTOUT 8/10
GERMAN MASTERS 9/10

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
Casey wrote:SHANGHAI MASTERS 4/10
WORLD OPEN 9.5/10
MASTERS 6.5/10

<doh>

CASEY :ahh:
bourne <cool>

snooker fan <doh> :tvrky:

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Don't get all the hatin' for the World Open, I loved it.

mate look who won it

shows peoples true colours

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:

mate look who won it

personally hendry winning it would not change my opinion matches was over to fast there was absalutly no buzz for me as a viewer i preferred the shanghai masters a week before.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:

mate look who won it

personally hendry winning it would not change my opinion matches was over to fast there was absalutly no buzz for me as a viewer i preferred the shanghai masters a week before.

german masters was over in the blink of an eye far to conjested

:grrr:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:
GJ wrote:

mate look who won it

german masters was over in the blink of an eye far to conjested

:grrr:

matches wasent you could get in to the matches at 3-1 at the interval...in WO it was over <doh>

Postby GJ

wild

Disagree mate world open was like having deciders the whole time which are one of the best parts of snooker :D :bowdown:

german open was boring and predictable in comparison :wave: :)

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:wild

Disagree mate world open was like having deciders the whole time which are one of the best parts of snooker :D :bowdown:

german open was boring and predictable in comparison :wave: :)

I strongly, strongly disagree.

Why are the deciders the best bit? They're tense, maybe. But a snooker match, at best, can be a thing of beauty. And getting to the decider, is equally as exciting as the decider itself.

And even if you do deem it the best bit, it doesn't mean you base a tournament around that. I think people scoring goals in football is the best bit, so to cater to my tastes are they now going to have a tournament where all teams go straight to a penalty shoot-out, and we don't have a match? <doh>

That's how the World Open seems to me. Shortening a good thing. But each to their own, I guess.

Postby SnookerFan

I just couldn't get into it. :huh2: Despite having all week off to watch it.

They kept hyping up matches, like; "Here's Ronnie vs Jimmy", only for it to be over almost as soon as it had began. How do you get excited about a match that quick? By Friday, I had got so bored of it, I was in the pub with a mate.

Postby Wildey

yes that a preference and fair enough but for me the end of a match is the best thing after whats gone before.

Postby SnookerFan

Watching the World Open, I just couldn't fathom what was supposed to be entertaining about it. Hazel and Co. tried to pretend that coming back from 2-0 was the height of excitement, but even when that happened I didn't feel I'd watched a full match. At worst, you got somebody come out and make 3 centuries, and leave in like 40 minutes. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

And the whole way it was marketed was baffling. There were two basic premises. The first being that you'd need to be able to hold your nerve, in the most tense tournament ever. Here you were, in the deciding frames of a one-table tournament, with all eyes on you. It was the ultimate test of your bottle. The second being; "With the matches so short, anybody can win it." <doh> Errrm.... :huh:

For me, other then whether you enjoyed the format or not, only two real talking points came from the tournament.

1) Ronnie snake hissing about in the 147 to 'make a point'. Firstly, the only point he made was that he was a hammer. And secondly, that talking point could've come from a best of 1 or a best of 99. It had nothing to do with the tournament or it's format.
2) Neil Robertson's win. It came pretty early in the season, over Ronnie O'Sullivan, and the first BBC tournament after he won the World Championship. The match itself was enjoyable, which says it all. It was a best of nine. Even though Robertson stomped him, he played beautifully and I would've wanted to see more of him play, not less.

And lastly, I didn't like the semi-finals being on the same day as the final. Snooker Final Sunday is a special event, in every snooker tournament. It should be the last two surviving having their moment. Not four people playing in the morning, and then two of them coming back later. Destroys any tension for me.

Postby Eirebilly

SHANGHAI MASTERS 5/10
WORLD OPEN 7/10
PREMIER LEAGUE 4/10
POWER SNOOKER 0.5/10
UK CHAMPIONSHIP 8/10
MASTERS 7/10
SKY SHOOTOUT 7/10
GERMAN MASTERS 9/10

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:See, I knew it weren't just me and Wild that rated this years Masters. :ba:

i have seen better however theres been a lot of crap writen about it.

most matches was close matches with the winner not decided until the last few frames.

final aside only 3 matches was 6-2 or worst and 9 out of 14 matches prior to the final went 6-4 or 6-5.

close contested tournament from start to finish what more do people want ffs <doh>