Topic locked

Ladies Tour - Southern Classic

Postby Monique

Press release by Tim Dunkley

SWINDON teenager Jodie Symes will be taking on the world’s best women snooker players on her home tables on Saturday…

The 16-year-old will line up with the likes of world number one Reanne Evans for the Southern Classic, the fourth leg of the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association tour, at Jesters Snooker Hall.
Six-time world champion Evans, 25, is on a record run of 76 winning matches on the WLBSA circuit. Her last defeat was on March 1, 2008. And she has won the last 18 tournaments that she has entered.
Symes, the world number 17, will be joined by two other Wiltshire players: Gaye Jones (Melksham) and Victoria Gibbs (Trowbridge).
Also in a high-quality 16-strong field are world number two Maria Catalano, who is Ronnie O’Sullivan’s cousin, and Portsmouth’s Emma Bonney, ranked third.
The action starts at 10am.

The WLBSA is hosting six ranking events this season culminating in the World Championships in April.

Southern Classic
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Jesters Snooker Hall
Greenbridge Road
Swindon
Wiltshire
SN3 3JD
Tel: 01793 420660

SOUTHERN CLASSIC ENTRIES

Reanne Evans (Dudley, West Mids)
Maria Catalano (Dudley, West Mids)
Emma Bonney (Portsmouth)
Eva Palmius (Isleham, Cambs)
Hannah Jones (Derby)
Natascha Niermann (Cambridge)
Vicky Carter (Hemel Hempstead)
Jenny Poulter (Maidstone)
Tina Owen-Sevilton (Taunton)
Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts)
Chris Sharpe (Chelmsford)
Martina Lumsden (Eastbourne)
Jodie Symes (Swindon)
Naomi Clare (Ripley, Derbys)
Jasmine Bolsover (Woking)
Victoria Gibbs (Trowbridge)

WLBSA PROVISIONAL SNOOKER RANKINGS
Pos Name Town Pts
1 Reanne Evans Dudley, West Mids 650
2 Maria Catalano Dudley, West Mids 440
3 Emma Bonney Portsmouth 420
4 Katie Henrick Bickley, Kent 290
5 Eva Palmius Isleham, Cambs 213
6 Hannah Jones Derby 212
7 Natascha Niermann Cambridge 210
8 Suzie Opacic Brambridge, Hants 190
9 Vicky Carter Hemel Hempstead 188
10 Marianne Williams Smallfield, Surrey 182
11 Jenny Poulter Maidstone 179
12 Tina Owen-Sevilton Taunton 168
13 Gaye Jones Melksham, Wilts 145
14 Chris Sharpe Chelmsford 139
15 Martina Lumsden Eastbourne 133
16 June Banks Orpington, Kent 110
17 Jodie Symes Swindon 99
18 Naomi Clare Ripley, Derbys 99
19 Pam Wood Newcastle 82
20 Jasmine Bolsover Woking 80
21 Jan Hughes St Neots, Cambs 79
22 Joanne Davies Derby 66
23 Maureen Rowland Wallsend, Tyne & Wear 51
24 Tatjana Vasiljeva Latvia 50
25 Laura Alves Dublin 36
26 Mary Hawkes Eaton Bray, Beds 12
27 Clare Heseldine Broadstairs, Kent 5
28 Georgina Holloway Derby 0
29 Supanni Yam-Oum Canterbury 0
30 Charlotte Holloway Derby 0
31 Rita Holmes Minehead 0

More details and action shots of most of the ladies available from:

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press office)
88 Lionheart Way
Bursledon Green
Southampton
SO31 8HN
Tel home: 02380 562647
Mobile: 07986 376114
E-Mail: timdunkleysnookerdad@hotmail.com

Re: Ladies Tour - Southern Classic

Postby Casey

world number two Maria Catalano, who is Ronnie O’Sullivan’s cousin

:emu:

How many years have they been saying that now? We know!

Postby Monique

Casey wrote:

Just imagine how fed up SHE must be ... always being "someone else's cousin" rather than just being herself. :john:
(although the two go along very well)

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
Casey wrote:

Just imagine how fed up SHE must be ... always being "someone else's cousin" rather than just being herself. :john:
(although the two go along very well)

Yep I would imagine it is frustrating for her.

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:

I didn't. I've never heard of her. :-(

Postby GJ

at least this is something reanne has a chance of winning

<laugh> :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

I probably won't go. I'd hoped to have moved into Croydon by then, making it easy for me to get a train on impulse. But some bull bureaucracy has meant more delays for me. :banghead: Shame really, cos I was thinking of going.

Postby markj147

SnookerFan wrote:I probably won't go. I'd hoped to have moved into Croydon by then, making it easy for me to get a train on impulse. But some rubbish bureaucracy has meant more delays for me. :banghead: Shame really, cos I was thinking of going.

The WLBSA Connie Gough Memorial is in Fareham 12th March if that is closer :) Most of the ladies on the list should be going to that event as well.

Postby SnookerFan

markj147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I probably won't go. I'd hoped to have moved into Croydon by then, making it easy for me to get a train on impulse. But some rubbish bureaucracy has meant more delays for me. :banghead: Shame really, cos I was thinking of going.

The WLBSA Connie Gough Memorial is in Fareham 12th March if that is closer :) Most of the ladies on the list should be going to that event as well.

I should be in Croydon by then, barring a complete disaster. Takes me about the same time, but I can get a direct train from East Croydon. :chin:

Tell me more, kind sir. Is that also free?

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
markj147 wrote:

I should be in Croydon by then, barring a complete disaster. Takes me about the same time, but I can get a direct train from East Croydon. :chin:

I doubt if the train will be free, but you could hide in the toilet (I have heard people from Rochdale do this to avoid paying) :clap:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
markj147 wrote:

I doubt if the train will be free, but you could hide in the toilet (I have heard people from Rochdale do this to avoid paying) :clap:

bucking hell. <doh> It's Bob Monkhouse.

Postby markj147

SnookerFan wrote:
markj147 wrote:

Indeed it is, all WLBSA ladies events are free to turn up and watch. But as Smart said the travel there costs as does the food and the beverages. In fact, in this country, I wouldn't be surprised if we have to pay for the air we breathe soon... :(

Postby SnookerFan

markj147 wrote:Indeed it is, all WLBSA ladies events are free to turn up and watch. But as Smart said the travel there costs as does the food and the beverages. In fact, in this country, I wouldn't be surprised if we have to pay for the air we breathe soon... :(

<doh>

When I asked if it was free, I thought it was obvious I meant free admission. I didn't think Reanne Evans was going to reimburse my train fair and buy me lunch. <laugh>

Has a venue been announced yet? I can't find much on the internet.

Postby markj147

SnookerFan wrote:
markj147 wrote:Indeed it is, all WLBSA ladies events are free to turn up and watch. But as Smart said the travel there costs as does the food and the beverages. In fact, in this country, I wouldn't be surprised if we have to pay for the air we breathe soon... :(

<doh>

When I asked if it was free, I thought it was obvious I meant free admission. I didn't think Reanne Evans was going to reimburse my train fair and buy me lunch. <laugh>

I know, I was just going with the theme from Smart, as in just joking. :D Embellishment has gotten the better of me in the past.

As for venue I believe it will be the club in Fareham that is owned by a past ladies player I was there with Hannah for an English Ladies Tour at the end of last year. I shall confirm and let you know. :)

Postby SnookerFan

markj147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

<doh>

I know, I was just going with the theme from Smart, as in just joking. :D Embellishment has gotten the better of me in the past.

As for venue I believe it will be the club in Fareham that is owned by a past ladies player I was there with Hannah for an English Ladies Tour at the end of last year. I shall confirm and let you know. :)

That'd be good. Though, every day brings more and more problems with the signing of this flat. I was supposed to be moving in tomorrow, now I may be moving in never. :roll: So public transport to the South Coast won't be as easy to do on impulse.

But keep me updated, I'd love to go to one of these. :D

Postby markj147

Taken off the entry letter. :)

Connie Gough National Championship 2011
Saturday 12th March 2011
Ladies Ranking Event
Fareham Snooker Club Broadcut Fareham PO16 8ST 01329 221 759

Postby SnookerFan

markj147 wrote:Taken off the entry letter. :)

Connie Gough National Championship 2011
Saturday 12th March 2011
Ladies Ranking Event
Fareham Snooker Club Broadcut Fareham PO16 8ST 01329 221 759

Good man. :love:

I'll do some research.

Postby markj147

I am hoping to stream the event. Using a standard Panasonic camera and a different laptop to the one I normally use.

I will stream it though UStream.

If the stream is offline it should play old footage of the UK champs and Masters with it starting on a match in a final between Reanne and Maria. If the stream is active you will notice as there will be a banner indicating that it is the Ladies Southern Classic at Jesters.

Due to unknown bandwidth resource there won't be sound and depending on how much work I have to do there may be no scores but I hope to score some of the matches. The image may be low def but I will tweak it so see how high a resolution I can get out of it. Positive feedback will be welcome here or in the chat window.

Windows photo live keeps kicking in and booting the Ustream connection to the camera so very angry with Bill Gates..grrrrrrr. Even changing autoplay deafults doesnt help as Microsoft helpfully override the settings after about 20 minutes.... So please bear with me tomorrow if you are taking a peek.

The link is:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ladies-uk ... nship-2009

This link name is wrong clearly but works for the Southern Classic and will be changed for the World Champs.

If I cannot get it working I will let you all know on here. :)

Postby markj147

Thanks Sonny.. :) She got her highest match break the other week 73 jawed a tough red down the rail with the rest got perfect on the black with the colours left. Everyone stopped to watch. Very exciting. She knocked in her 11th practice century tonight 128 so fingers crossed for tomorrow. No pressure on her just sit back and watch her develop as a player... :)

Postby markj147

This is the footage of Reanne winning the 2009 UK Champs against Maria Catalano http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2156274 go to 44 minutes and watch Hannah coach a young girl called Rosie who has taken up the game as a result of visiting the club when the UK champs was on with her parents. Hannah had just turned 13. Ellie and Reannes daughter Lauren pop onto screen now and again... :)

This footage will be played whenever the stream is offline.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

markj147 wrote:This is the footage of Reanne winning the 2009 UK Champs against Maria Catalano http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2156274 go to 44 minutes and watch Hannah coach a young girl called Rosie who has taken up the game as a result of visiting the club when the UK champs was on with her parents. Hannah had just turned 13. Ellie and Reannes daughter Lauren pop onto screen now and again... :)

I'll have a look now Mark. With my own lovely tunes playing in the background. :)

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
markj147 wrote:This is the footage of Reanne winning the 2009 UK Champs against Maria Catalano http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2156274 go to 44 minutes and watch Hannah coach a young girl called Rosie who has taken up the game as a result of visiting the club when the UK champs was on with her parents. Hannah had just turned 13. Ellie and Reannes daughter Lauren pop onto screen now and again... :)

I'll have a look now Mark. With my own lovely tunes playing in the background. :)

I enjoyed the first peice for about 15 minutes & then moved to 43:17 & then watched Hannah coach the young girl you mention above Mark.
Quick bit of feedback Mark, next time your Hannah is helping out Snooker folk, ask her to share her Chalk!

Postby markj147

Good point john. Thanks for that. :) it was an unexpected lesson though and late at night so I can forgive her that........this time.:)

markj147 wrote:Good point john. Thanks for that. :) it was an unexpected lesson though and late at night so I can forgive her that........this time.:)

A little tongue in cheek mate to be honest as I noticed that your young lady was helping the other young girl out by going out of her way.
Great to see kids taking an interest tho eh?
I remember whenever I was a kid & a table became empty, I'm make a bee-line straight for it.