Topic locked

Venue for the Masters 2012

Postby Wildey

Is it time to look else where to play the Masters ??

in this months Issue of Snooker Scene it says.

it is anticipated that wembley will not be the venue for next seasons masters. it is expensive to hire and somehow soulless and unwelcoming to spectators in comparison with the now demolished Wembley Conference Centre. several replacements venues are being considered with Alexandra Palace the apparant favourite.

Ive Never been but i know some of you have whats your thoughts on this ?

Re: Venue for the Masters 2012

Postby Roland

I was at Wembley Arena and he has a point about the atmosphere.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:Is it time to look else where to play the Masters ??

in this months Issue of Snooker Scene it says.

it is anticipated that wembley will not be the venue for next seasons masters. it is expensive to hire and somehow soulless and unwelcoming to spectators in comparison with the now demolished Wembley Conference Centre. several replacements venues are being considered with Alexandra Palace the apparant favourite.

Ive Never been but i know some of you have whats your thoughts on this ?

Great news IMO

The Ally Pally, as seen with the darts WC held there would accomodate large crowds but in a far more attractive venue.

Postby Casey

I would imagine they will put temporary raised seating in for snooker to work in the Ally Pally. Any darts fans here that have been?

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:I would imagine they will put temporary raised seating in for snooker to work in the Ally Pally. Any darts fans here that have been?

or maybe adopt the darts style format with the table on the stage and big screens for the crowd to watch whilst they get drunk and make lots of noise :D

Postby randam05

They cant take it away from London though. The capital deserves a major tournament.

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:I would imagine they will put temporary raised seating in for snooker to work in the Ally Pally. Any darts fans here that have been?

or maybe adopt the darts style format with the table on the stage and big screens for the crowd to watch whilst they get drunk and make lots of noise :D

there are generally some great crowd punch ups at the Ally Pally, where can I get some tickets......................... :excited:

Postby sundaygirl

As long as it stays in London it's fine by me. Wembley is not easy to get to I spend as long going across town as getting there. I had a fun day out this year ( live snooker hurrah!) but the Arena made me nostalgic for the Conference Center. I think it was lacking in imagination to stay so close.
Did they stand in the rumble at the WCC and go oooh look there's a building big enough lets go there?

Postby SnookerFan

The first tournament I went to, that wasn't a Premier League match, was the old Wembley Conference Centre. I enjoyed it, but had no basis for comparison. It was the last year it was held there, so don't remember much about it.

I remember on my first year at the Arena, thinking it wasn't as good as the year before though. And I have always strongly protested the lack of atmosphere at Wembley Arena. They always say on the BBC that the atmosphere is something special at the Arena, because fans shout. This is nonsense. It's like going to snooker in an aircraft carrier. Fans don't really interact with each other, you don't get to mingle with other fans. The Wembley Staff are so used to putting on shows, but don't know how translate to snooker. I once got refused to let into a match in between frames once, because the member of staff didn't know you were allowed entry between frames. <doh>

I can easily commute to London, even more easily when I'm living in Croydon, so I selfishly want it to stay in London. But would be very much pro moving it from Wembley Arena. Which, in my opinion, is the least good venue atmosphere-wise I've ever been to. And that includes Newport.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:As long as it stays in London it's fine by me. Wembley is not easy to get to I spend as long going across town as getting there. I had a fun day out this year ( live snooker hurrah!) but the Arena made me nostalgic for the Conference Center. I think it was lacking in imagination to stay so close.
Did they stand in the rumble at the WCC and go oooh look there's a building big enough lets go there?

I don't like to blow my own trumpet, but I am pretty amazing. :D

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:As long as it stays in London it's fine by me. Wembley is not easy to get to I spend as long going across town as getting there. I had a fun day out this year ( live snooker hurrah!) but the Arena made me nostalgic for the Conference Center. I think it was lacking in imagination to stay so close.

:love:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

yes let someone else blow your trumpet <ok>

that is also amazing :redneck:

Postby jojo

i wouldnt be surprised if they held it in the o2 arena they had the power snooker tournament there they also have tennis matches basketball and other sports there the o2 also easy to get to due to the regeneration in the east greenwich area they have the jubilee line and docklands light wailway but it easy for me i can walk there ha

Postby Wildey

whatever they do i cant see it moving from London area.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:whatever they do i cant see it moving from London area.

now under the Rodney era I would have said anything could of happened in terms of moving the Masters, however, under BH I would say he would appreciate that London needs the Masters..............whereever in London that may be. There is enough snooker in the North .......so the South needs the Masters too. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:whatever they do i cant see it moving from London area.

now under the Rodney era I would have said anything could of happened in terms of moving the Masters, however, under BH I would say he would appreciate that London needs the Masters..............whereever in London that may be. There is enough snooker in the North .......so the South needs the Masters too. <ok>

the masters just for some reason has a London feel to it...wouldnt be the same anywhere else.

Postby SnookerFan

jojo wrote:i wouldnt be surprised if they held it in the o2 arena they had the power snooker tournament there they also have tennis matches basketball and other sports there the o2 also easy to get to due to the regeneration in the east greenwich area they have the jubilee line and docklands light wailway but it easy for me i can walk there ha

I can see Hearn doing that, but I hope not. It's like a bloody city inside that dome. The Crucible lets you get up close to the players, and lets you get to meet them, and it's the greatest arena in the world. I'm not saying go to a venue as small as The Crucible, but it has a one table format. We can find somewhere more atmospheric then the 02.

What the Masters deseperately, desperately needs is a place whereby the fans can interact with each other, and the players. That's what makes live snooker great. I've been saying that for years. To be honest, even Telford has more buzz about it then Wembley Arena.

What's the Ally Pally like? Anybody been? Never been to that venue.