Topic locked

Re: Can Mark Williams have another spell of domination?

Postby N_Castle07

Judging by his performance last night I would say yes. His next goal should be to get back the number one spot and he should be a big contender for this years Worlds. There is a lot of talk about high standards these days but if you look at the number one spot it has only been held by the big 4 and Davis for years now. Ok Robbo held it briefly but I believe that was from default because of Higgins brief ban. Robbo’s title win was supposed to be a new era of snooker but judging by last night I’m not too sure the old guard’s best days are behind them.

Postby SnookerFan

I'd love to see Mark Williams be a World Champion this year. Though I fear, now he's reached a UK final, and won a ranker two months before the Worlds start, he'll suffer from Too Strong Favourite syndrome.

Everybody that I expect to win the Worlds goes out in the first round. Every year. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

i think Mark Williams is on course to be the best once again however there are Great Players capable of stopping him.

but i honestly think Mark Williams is so relaxed at the moment he knows how lucky he is having been provisional out of the top 32 and fought his way back. now he is playing without a care in the world and Will not take it for granted this time he knows what can happen if he does.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i think Mark Williams is on course to be the best once again however there are Great Players capable of stopping him.

but i honestly think Mark Williams is so relaxed at the moment he knows how lucky he is having been provisional out of the top 32 and fought his way back. now he is playing without a care in the world and Will not take it for granted this time he knows what can happen if he does.

I'd love it if he won another World Title this year. Love it.

Postby Roland

I'd love it too. I'd rather see Selby lift his first actually but failing that, a 3rd for Williams to put him on a par with Ronnie and JH would be justice, especially if they never won another between them.

Postby Casey

I would say no. John Higgins is way too strong at the minute and I am pretty certain that he will win the World title this year. Williams will win majors again that's for sure, the ease at which he raced to the final was brilliant and was a deserved winner.

The current top order imo are -

Higgins
Robbo
Williams
Ding

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I'd love it too. I'd rather see Selby lift his first actually but failing that, a 3rd for Williams to put him on a par with Ronnie and JH would be justice, especially if they never won another between them.

I'm also hoping for a Ding to win a World Championship. And Mark Allen, but I think he's got a fair bit of confidence before he wins one.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:I would say no. John Higgins is way too strong at the minute and I am pretty certain that he will win the World title this year. Williams will win majors again that's for sure, the ease at which he raced to the final was brilliant and was a deserved winner.

Higgins
Robbo
Williams
Ding

I Disagree Nobody playing Better Than Mark has this week yes those players you mentioned aswell as Selby in the Mix but theres nothing Between Mark and John to sugest he is Stronger.

Mark lost the UK 10-9 Playing poorly in the match and tournament not a single century break in the UK this week he made 4 in less frames and looked deadly in the balls compared to scratching about at the UK and yet pushed John all the way.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Can Mark Williams have another spell of domination? :chin:
It will be fun watching if he does.
When he plays well its like watching Ronnie O'Sullivan at his best, 'a thing of beauty'.

Postby Casey

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:I would say no. John Higgins is way too strong at the minute and I am pretty certain that he will win the World title this year. Williams will win majors again that's for sure, the ease at which he raced to the final was brilliant and was a deserved winner.

Higgins
Robbo
Williams
Ding

I Disagree Nobody playing Better Than Mark has this week yes those players you mentioned aswell as Selby in the Mix but theres nothing Between Mark and John to sugest he is Stronger.

Mark lost the UK 10-9 Playing poorly in the match and tournament not a single century break in the UK this week he made 4 in less frames and looked deadly in the balls compared to scratching about at the UK and yet pushed John all the way.

Look at the players Higgins had to beat at the UK. I still hold Williams second to Higgins at the minute, that could change over the course of the season but at the minute Williams still needs to net a major.

Postby Wildey

dont get me wrong John still there and fighting all the way.

all im saying is John not to strong for Mark its pretty equal aswell as Robbo/Selby and Ding what a end of season we are in for :excited:

Postby GJ

Higgins
Robbo
Williams
Ding

<cool>

case sees the bigger picture and isnt knee jerking after 1 title for williams :D

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:

Higgins
Robbo
Williams
Ding

<cool>

case sees the bigger picture and isnt knee jerking after 1 title for williams :D

its 2 Ranking titles over the last year with the china Open the same as Robbo and Higgins but Robbo has the Big one on his CV and Higgins got the UK.but Mark has played in more Finals.

Postby GJ

For me there are 2 groups of contenders for the worlds

Higgins
Robbo
Ding
Williams

then

Selby
Ronnie
Allen
Murphy

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:For me there are 2 groups of contenders for the worlds

Higgins
Robbo
Ding
Williams

then

Selby
Ronnie
Allen
Murphy

yes thats pretty accurate <ok>

Postby Wildey

the way things are actually going this season the World could be Ronnies only tournament possibly wales.

cant see him going to china TBH and hes not in the PTC Finals which he possibly would pull out even had he qualified.

as has been reported Ronnie could be on the verge of retiring from main tournaments :huh2:

Postby wheelsofsteel

Ronnie thinking about retiring?

He said that this morning just after nine, then by half past was going to launch an assault on the world champs, but had quit again by 10.43 only to announce a comeback tour at 11.14 which clashes with the World Championship, so he quit again ten minutes ago.

I hope Williams can keep it up. Nice to have a winner again who doesn't give a fcuk and carries a passport

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:Ronnie thinking about retiring?

He said that this morning just after nine, then by half past was going to launch an assault on the world champs, but had quit again by 10.43 only to announce a comeback tour at 11.14 which clashes with the World Championship, so he quit again ten minutes ago.

I hope Williams can keep it up. Nice to have a winner again who doesn't give a fcuk and carries a passport

I'll give you that. Ronnie's retirement talks are about as serious as Wild's promises to calm down somewhat. But the way he's played at the tournaments he has turned up for this season make him seem more that he is losing the will for the sport, and is considering life outside snooker more and more. It's impossible to tell with Ronnie, because he might have a satisfying dump after lunch, and decide he feels better about life. But, I think he's giving it more thought this time. :chin:

Just my opinion.

Postby Alex0paul

Williams won't win the World Championship. His record there bar the wins he has had has been pretty poor. One quarter final in seven years is horrific.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Tubberlad wrote:Domination, no, but at this juncture I think Williams and Higgins will be the men to beat in Sheffield. A third Mark Williams World Title is a very, very real possibility.

A third world title for Williams. Oh no!

That would put him on a par with Ronnie and two better than Robertson.

Get The Samaritans on standby

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:Domination, no, but at this juncture I think Williams and Higgins will be the men to beat in Sheffield. A third Mark Williams World Title is a very, very real possibility.

A third world title for Williams. Oh no!

That would put him on a par with Ronnie and two better than Robertson.

Get The Samaritans on standby

You mean there are people out there who aren't fans of Mark Williams?

Postby Roland

It can't be true!

There were loads of the idiots around about 10 years ago though. I remember a kid at my snooker club calling him "a machine" when I asked what he thought of Williams.

Postby Wildey

you know what its not far off a dominance if you consider in the last 6 Rankers hes won 2 and reached a final of another.

i believe this is Marks best chance of Winning the World Championship since 2005. only time will tell

Postby Roland

Well that depends if he's seeded to meet Ronnie early doors doesn't it?

If the rankings froze as they are now (after the updates from German Masters), what would be the seeded draw for round 2? Does Robbo sit top of the draw despite being ranked 3? Is it Higgins v Selby and Robbo v Williams as the seeded semi-final line up?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well that depends if he's seeded to meet Ronnie early doors doesn't it?

If the rankings froze as they are now (after the updates from German Masters), what would be the seeded draw for round 2?

i dont think it matters who he faces yes theres players out there that can beat him the same as he can beat them......the fact he wants Barry to give Ronnie appearance Money tells me he fancies Stuffing Him and winning a tournament after stuffing him would be even sweeter <ok>