Post a reply

Jimmy White Syndrome

Postby Seifer Almasy

I believe that there is a medical condition which I call "Jimmy White Syndrome." Players who deal with "being in denial" when their form abandons them and their prime is over, by stating "I am playing good in practice"

It seems to be a common phenomenon among aging players. Jimmy White Syndrome seems to affect those male players over 40, but is not known to affect females at this time.

Jimmy White Syndrome's affects are more apparent in interviews or after match losses.

Re: Jimmy White Syndrome

Postby Roland

The sad truth is yes you have a point Seifer. Jimmy White was my hero growing up, there was no bigger fan in the world than me but since the mid 90's he's never been the same player and never will be again, yet he's been playing well in practice ever since then apparently.

I know that this is all about getting at Hendry though <laugh>

Postby Seifer Almasy

<laugh> actually, it isn't. Seriously, this time it isn't. (but I think I allowed myself to make it a bit sarcastic) Hendry just reminded me of it, and I thought it was an amusing Syndrome :P

Wild says Alex Higgins had it also, and I am sure loads more to come will. White really irritates me with it....and I am sure Hendry fans get sick of it too....or will do.

Postby Roland

I know. Jimmy thinks he can get back inside the top 16 and deserves a place at the Masters which is quite clearly deluded.

Postby mediter

Jimmy White-thread reminds me of great cuiests and shot-makers and have to say that Efren Reyes and Earl Strickland are pretty hard to beat in that category. I have watched the color of money (9 ball, race to 120, Reyes vs Stricland). I know 9 ball is a bit mickey mouse game, but still it´s a full stop brilliant and CONSISTENT shot-making, espicially from Earl, but Efren is amazing kicker and tactical player and nothing sort of his "magician" nickname. Efren is a great 8 ball, 9 ball, one pocket and straight pool player and very good carom player also.. And he has knocked snooker-centuries also, playing his pool cue... And Strickland is amazingly gifted player. Great watch, I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPOusCAc ... re=related

Postby mediter

...and the overall level of playing was so so high, it was fast and rampant. Saying 9 ball is a mickey mouse game, but in my opinion, no snooker player would had been able to live up to that level. For example, they don´t have the break shot or kicking abilities.

Postby Casey

It must be very frustrating for players, they can play top class snooker in practice but not tournament play. Its not like a footballer who can't run fast on the field or training.
As for hendry, he has recently been quoted as saying hes been playing poor in practice.

Postby Roland

mediter wrote:Jimmy White-thread reminds me of great cuiests and shot-makers and have to say that Efren Reyes and Earl Strickland are pretty hard to beat in that category. I have watched the color of money (9 ball, race to 120, Reyes vs Stricland). I know 9 ball is a bit mickey mouse game, but still it´s a full stop brilliant and CONSISTENT shot-making, espicially from Earl, but Efren is amazing kicker and tactical player and nothing sort of his "magician" nickname. Efren is a great 8 ball, 9 ball, one pocket and straight pool player and very good carom player also.. And he has knocked snooker-centuries also, playing his pool cue... And Strickland is amazingly gifted player. Great watch, I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPOusCAc ... re=related

Spot on. I love the shot making in pool and the way you've described it epitomises why I'm such a fan of Mark Selby because he's in essence a pool style shot maker, or as close to pool as I've ever seen on a snooker table. Jimmy White played pool in a snooker style and did pretty well but he's a shot maker too. I remember him playing some ridiculous plants on the 9 ball using his snooker knowledge to the horror of the commentators who said pool shouldn't be played like that. But he kept getting them.

There's a place for pool chat here:

viewforum.php?f=27

I'll drop this post and start the first article on there.