Topic locked

John Higgins withdraws

Postby Monique

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 66,00.html?
John Higgins has pulled out of the German Masters in Berlin for personal reasons.

Having received news of a deterioration in his father John's health today, Higgins immediately decided to withdraw from the tournament. This decision came after his 5-3 defeat of Robert Milkins in his first-round match earlier today, and he is now travelling back to Scotland.

"I'm very sorry to withdraw from the event as it has a real buzz about it, but I hope the German fans will understand my decision as family comes first," said the World No 1.

Marco Fu was due to play Higgins in the last 16 so now receives a bye to the quarter-finals.

My thoughts are with John and his family.

Re: John Higgins withdraws

Postby Wildey

very sad :-( .......

last time john withdrew it was to be best man at his brothers wedding and remember he and his father getting in to a car big smiles on their faces and they were away.

that was happy times this is anything but :sad:

Postby Casey

His Father’s health must have gotten seriously worse in the last few days.
Terrible times for the Higgins family.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:His Father’s health must have gotten seriously worse in the last few days.
Terrible times for the Higgins family.

must have.

cant imagine him being in berlin if he was bad when he started off.

Postby Casey

John didn’t get home in time. :-(
Sad, sad news for the family. My condolences.

Postby Bourne

Just read this news, very sad indeed. Everyone understands him pulling out of the tournament now, somethings are far, far more important than sport. My condolences to the Higgins family.

Postby Monique

Very sad news. John's father was his biggest supporter and a well known, and well liked, figure at the venus before his illness.
Condolences to John and his family.

Postby gallantrabbit

Hope John doesn't beat himself up about not getting back in time. In the latter stages of terminal illness the 'victim' is rarely conscious anyway.
Hope John senior was able to see that his son was safely back in the game.

Postby jojo

ive only just seen this thread reading john senior has died very sad news indeed

i wish higgins and his family all the strength in the world yes he shouldnt beat himself up over not being able to make it back in time not his fault at all

Postby PLtheRef

When John junior withdrew this morning, I suspected it would be something to do with John senior. - Even though John's death wasn't unexpected it doesnt make it any more sad or heartbreaking for John jnr who has always been especially close to his dad. I know all of our thoughts will be with John, Josie and the family.

Postby Tubberlad

While I agree that Higgins has shown Ronnie up Frame, there's no need for a comment like that at all. I'm not standing up for Ronnie, far from it, I just don't think that Higgins Snr's death should be used like that. Difficult time for them no doubt.

Postby Wildey

GUYS

John Higgins father died Today show some respect.

theres no need to even bring up Ronnie on this thread is there least of all to joke about him.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:GUYS

theres no need to even bring up Ronnie on this thread is there least of all to joke about him.

<ok>

Time and a place, guys.

RIP Mr. Higgins.

Postby Monique

All players here expressed sadness over the death of John's father and sympathy for John and his family, particularly the Scottish players of course who knew him personally. They all have fond memories of that gentle man and keen snooker fan.
He was a well known figure on the tour and he will be sadly missed. RIP
Maguire was clearly emotional when he was interviewed after his evening match, and Dott obviously affected also.

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:GUYS

<ok>

Time and a place, guys.

RIP Mr. Higgins.

yes there is a time and a place but frame has got a good point.

Im sad to hear about John Snr he was such a nice and respectfull man. rest in peace