Topic locked

German Masters... looking forward to this one?

Postby Tubberlad

Ranking event snooker returns to Mainland Europe this week, and not a second too soon.

Eurosport's broadcasting of our game has seen a massive upturn in the appetite for snooker across the continent, but up to now the sport's aministrative bodies have failed to reward this with a proper ranking event. The Tempodrom will host an event that is sure to spice up the game in mainland Europe, and I for one am really looking forward to it.

The tournament sees a few tweaks that make it stand out as an event: there will be no dividing walls, which should give it a new atmosphere and feel that we haven't experienced in mainstream snooker before, a beautiful looking venue and the twist of players having to play more than one match on the same day. All very exciting.

What I'm looking forward to most however, is a return to 'proper', non gimmick snooker on television. We haven't had this since the UK Championship in December, and outside of that, we have to go all the way back to September's Shanghai Masters, which is effected from many fans' points of view by the time difference.

The final will take place over 17 frames, only right for a ranking event, and it's a positive move in my opinion. I enjoyed the World Open, I enjoyed the Shoot-out, but this kind of format should never be left to one side...

Re: German Masters... looking forward to this one?

Postby Bourne

Not sure what to make of it, the Tempodrom has a pretty unique feel to it so i'm not sure how much of a ranking event it'll actually feel and how the crowd will attend it. But the tournament actually means something to all the players so it should be pretty high-quality. No bigger match to kick it off R1 than Trump vs Hendry either :excited:

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Not sure what to make of it, the Tempodrom has a pretty unique feel to it so i'm not sure how much of a ranking event it'll actually feel and how the crowd will attend it. But the tournament actually means something to all the players so it should be pretty high-quality. No bigger match to kick it off R1 than Trump vs Hendry either :excited:

<laugh> :wave:

I am actually looking forward to this one. Looking forward to see how Dale fairs against Ronnie, and the real choice match of the first round Ding vs Stevens. My only complaint is that it is only haf a week long.

Postby Wildey

yes but im looking forward to see how this work because if it works it opens up all sort of possibilities to incorporate even more main ranking tournaments in to the callender.

lets say one ranker finishing on a sunday in germany and another starting the following Wednesday in Belgium etc.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:yes but im looking forward to see how this work because if it works it opens up all sort of possibilities to incorporate even more main ranking tournaments in to the callender.

lets say one ranker finishing on a sunday in germany and another starting the following Wednesday in Belgium etc.

Eurosport goes into snooker related meltdon. <ok>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:yes but im looking forward to see how this work because if it works it opens up all sort of possibilities to incorporate even more main ranking tournaments in to the callender.

also with it being 2 days between events you could even travel further afield between tournaments as long as they in the same time zone that is. <ok>

dont want players with jet lag Neil Robertson wont get out of bed in time :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

also with it being 2 days between events you could even travel further afield between tournaments as long as they in the same time zone that is. <ok>

dont want players with jet lag Neil Robertson wont get out of bed in time :redneck:

I was unaware that he did anyway. <laugh> Does he realise as world champion there's going to be a day he's playing at 10am. <laugh> :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:Has Hearny finally failed in that we have no title sponsor ?? in a hotbed like Germany??

I wouldn't be too worried by that. Bear in mind, that a lot of the sponsors that Hearn has 'attracted' were people that he already has business relationships with. He has got people prepared to sponsor darts, boxing and Leyton Orient football ground, that now he has a relationship with he can convince them to come into snooker as well. That's Hearn's most important asset when he comes to getting sponsorship, is that he already has contacts.This may not translate well to Europe though. I don't gamble much, so I don't know which of the top betting companies have the capacity expand on the continent. I'm pretty sure 12bet.com doesn't, it's such a two bit company.

Also take into account it's a new tournament, so you might not have companies declaring an interest in sponsoring, so to speak, until they see attendances numbers and viewing figures on TV. What Hearn needs to do is look at those statistics after the tournament, work out what type of companies might benefit from sponsoring this tournament, and work out how to build up relationships with companies who will. These quite possibly have to be German companies.

The real success or failure is whether the tournament will attract sponsors long-term, not the first year it runs.

Postby Casey

I am looking forward to it Tubber. The only downside is the number of tables on show meaning some big matches will be lost on side tables. However I think the German fans will embrace the event and it should be well attended.

Anybody know what the prize money for this is?

Postby randam05

URGENT

why is snooker not screening on eurosport today? ordered the other day to watch the snooker from wednesday to sunday and its not on..just shitty skiing and showjumping? whats going on? unless its on eurosport HD today?

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:I am looking forward to it Tubber. The only downside is the number of tables on show meaning some big matches will be lost on side tables. However I think the German fans will embrace the event and it should be well attended.

Winner: 50,000 Euros
Runner-up: 30,000 Euros
Semi-finals: 15,000 Euros
Quarter-finals: 9,000 Euros
Last 16: 6,000 Euros
Last 32: 3,750 Euros
Last 48: 1,500 Euros
High Break: 2,000 Euros
Total: 280,000 Euros

Postby randam05

World snooker says its on tonight from 7 till 10 but i didnt see it when checking earlier on tv guide. Can someone confirm it is on at those times please? as im at college and cannot check.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:World snooker says its on tonight from 7 till 10 but i didnt see it when checking earlier on tv guide. Can someone confirm it is on at those times please? as im at college and cannot check.

it was on i chequed eurosport schedule last week but now its replaced by bloody skiing :wild2: :wild2: :wild2:

Postby Casey

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:I am looking forward to it Tubber. The only downside is the number of tables on show meaning some big matches will be lost on side tables. However I think the German fans will embrace the event and it should be well attended.

Winner: 50,000 Euros
Runner-up: 30,000 Euros
Semi-finals: 15,000 Euros
Quarter-finals: 9,000 Euros
Last 16: 6,000 Euros
Last 32: 3,750 Euros
Last 48: 1,500 Euros
High Break: 2,000 Euros
Total: 280,000 Euros

Not bad for its first year. Once World snooker and the sponsors see it as a success the prize money will go up.

Postby randam05

Wild wrote:
randam05 wrote:World snooker says its on tonight from 7 till 10 but i didnt see it when checking earlier on tv guide. Can someone confirm it is on at those times please? as im at college and cannot check.

it was on i chequed eurosport schedule last week but now its replaced by bloody skiing :wild2: :wild2: :wild2:

Oh so it isnt on now! grrr why would they replace it with skiing when skiing is on both channels all day bloody long

Postby wheelsofsteel

gallantrabbit wrote:Has Hearny finally failed in that we have no title sponsor ?? in a hotbed like Germany??

there might not be a sponsor but that doesn't mean that it is costing world snooker to stage the tournament which was always the big problem in the past

It would be great if they made something of the previous German Open champions, all eight of them

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
Wild wrote:

Oh so it isnt on now! grrr why would they replace it with skiing when skiing is on both channels all day bloody long

http://www.fromsport.com/c-11.html aparantly its on fromsport tonight

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:URGENT

why is snooker not screening on eurosport today? ordered the other day to watch the snooker from wednesday to sunday and its not on..just shitty skiing and showjumping? whats going on? unless its on eurosport HD today?

It's on Eurosport 2, you fanny.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

no its not ...

it was but its not now http://tv.sky.com/tvlistings scrol to 7pm eurosport 2

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

no its not ...

it was but its not now http://tv.sky.com/tvlistings scrol to 7pm eurosport 2

That is pretty shocking. Is it just this evening? Or the whole week? It wouldn't surprise me if they did cancel their proposed live snooker to show skiing though.

Let's hope this is just Eurosport being Eurosport, their schedules mean litte at the best of times. I turned in to watch boxing once, and it was tennis. Even though when I pressed information on my remote, it gave me the details of the boxing I was supposedly watching. I never got the boxing, just several hours of tennis. :roll:

Hopefully we'll at least be able to start watching from the last 32, if nothing else.

Postby Monique

apparently what Eurosport will be showing depends on the country... German Eurosport should have the best coverage.
Having said that, I was at the venue this morning and the telly crews were still working to set everything into place. They only had access to the venue yesterday and there is a hell of a lot to do.

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/27012011/ ... eplan.html
According to this broadcasting will start live tomorrow 10 am CET

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:apparently what Eurosport will be showing depends on the country... German Eurosport should have the best coverage.
Having said that, I was at the venue this morning and the telly crews were still working to set everything into place. They only had access to the venue yesterday and there is a hell of a lot to do.

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/27012011/ ... eplan.html
According to this broadcasting will start live tomorrow 10 am CET

<laugh>

What amateurs. :roll:

Postby Wildey

British Eurosport Coverage from 9am tomorrow is wall to wall but they decided to go with skiing tonight.

i bet belgian eurosport is red hot tonight mon ;)

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:amateurs? It's not them who decide when the venue is available for them. There are other things going on in the Tempodrom than just snooker.

yes and its plenty of time as well to get things right just look at the picture the main job of getting the tables are up and when They set up for the PL its done on the day of the event.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Monique wrote:amateurs? It's not them who decide when the venue is available for them. There are other things going on in the Tempodrom than just snooker.

Strictly Come Painting, a sausage exhibition and the 2011 final of the Sun Bed Grabbing Championship to name but three