Post a reply

OMG, there's action!!!!!

Postby Sickpotter

Over the last few weeks my local hall has seen snooker action not seen since it's heyday and it's looking like I might need to get my game in order :idea:

Normally the action that can be found is pretty cheap, somewhere in the $5-$20 per set range which rarely covers table cost.

Lately there's been a surge of big money players which has driven snooker interest up to a level I haven't seen in 20+ years. Perhaps that's overstating it and the interest is really about the big money invovled, not the game per se but at least it's interest.

The action is crazy!!!! :mosh2:

How crazy you ask?

Best of 3, 6 red game for $5000 - watched a guy drop $15k losing 3 straight sets. :eek:
Single games, 6 red for anywhere from $50-$1000 - watched a few grand being dropped in about an hour in that format.

I've been trying to get a game but at the moment, the man providing all the action is doing everything he can to get a spot that makes him a lock. I offered 12 points, he countered with at least a 22 spot on 6 and was leaning towards even more. :scared:

Needless to say that's not a great spot to be giving anyone who can make more than 2 balls in a row so I've just laughed it off and told him to come up with a more reasonable number.

Anyway, if I get in a big match I'll certainly post the results but I just wanted to say, it's great to see that kind of action again, even if I don't get some of it myself ;)

Re: OMG, there's action!!!!!

Postby Witz78

Sickpotter wrote:Over the last few weeks my local hall has seen snooker action not seen since it's heyday and it's looking like I might need to get my game in order :idea:

Normally the action that can be found is pretty cheap, somewhere in the $5-$20 per set range which rarely covers table cost.

Lately there's been a surge of big money players which has driven snooker interest up to a level I haven't seen in 20+ years. Perhaps that's overstating it and the interest is really about the big money invovled, not the game per se but at least it's interest.

The action is crazy!!!! :mosh2:

How crazy you ask?

Best of 3, 6 red game for $5000 - watched a guy drop $15k losing 3 straight sets. :eek:
Single games, 6 red for anywhere from $50-$1000 - watched a few grand being dropped in about an hour in that format.

I've been trying to get a game but at the moment, the man providing all the action is doing everything he can to get a spot that makes him a lock. I offered 12 points, he countered with at least a 22 spot on 6 and was leaning towards even more. :scared:

Needless to say that's not a great spot to be giving anyone who can make more than 2 balls in a row so I've just laughed it off and told him to come up with a more reasonable number.

Anyway, if I get in a big match I'll certainly post the results but I just wanted to say, it's great to see that kind of action again, even if I don't get some of it myself ;)

thats good to hear the game is on the up in Canada. Im over there in October so hopefully will find a club somewhere <ok>

Off to the States in 7 weeks but suspect hustling the Yanks for a fistful of dollars at the 9 ball will be my only baize action. rofl

Postby Roland

That's great news Sickpotter and evidence if it were needed of Hearn's global influence already.

6 reds is the new hustling game in Canada hey? Interesting. Do you think this could be the start of a North American revival in the great game? Do you think 6 reds will become more the norm over there from pool playing converts rather than those who started out with the 15 red game?

Postby Sickpotter

6 reds is definitely the action game but no guarantee that the interest is there because there's a developing love for snooker.

IMO ATM it's only because of the large money being gambled but no reason it can't progress to actually developing into a new interest in snooker for those who're migrating to the game just to get the action.

I won't consider it a real resurgence in the sport until I start seeing more games being played by younger players without too much at stake. Gambling for large attracts gamblers, not necessarily someone intersted in the actual game. If the money is small it's far more likely they're playing for the enjoyment of it which is really the way I'd like to see it go.

Postby Roland

What do you think kick started this latest "craze" off? Word of mouth or getting to see snooker on tv or online?

Postby Sickpotter

TBH I think it's all due to one man in particular wanting to play for large cash. He'll play anyone for any amount as long as he likes the handicap and that more than anything has brought the action junkies running. Those who used to play snooker but liked the action aspect moved to 8/9-ball to stay in action when the big games dried up. Now that there's at least one guaranteed big game perhaps they'll come back.

At the same time there are a lot of 8/9-ball players who're big action junkies with no snooker experience to speak of. That won't stop them from trying for the dough so I hope that if some of the AJ's spend enough time on the snooker tables they'll develop a real appreciation for the game and keep playing no matter what action is available but it's just a hope.

If the action dries up quickly I don't see any long term benefit but at the moment it looks like this guy's gonna be around for quite a bit :excited:

Postby jojo

sickpotter do you know of any canadian players coming through in the near future ? i was just about old enough to remember the famous trio of the eighties big bill stevens and thorburn then a bit later on alain robidoux i would like to see more canadian players coming through i think it will be fantastic for the game adding more international flavour

we already have these chinese players aussie world champion black gentlemen mcleod i would love it if hearn can continue to get the game to grow globally

Postby Witz78

Smart wrote:Interesting - sort of a half way house and maybe the 6-red will be the bridge to proper snooker re-birthing itself in Canada. I think the game is crying out for a Canadian presence once more. :)

and a South African one too <ok>

oh and the return of a true Australian hero :bowdown:

Postby Sickpotter

jojo wrote:sickpotter do you know of any canadian players coming through in the near future ? i was just about old enough to remember the famous trio of the eighties big bill stevens and thorburn then a bit later on alain robidoux i would like to see more canadian players coming through i think it will be fantastic for the game adding more international flavour

we already have these chinese players aussie world champion black gentlemen mcleod i would love it if hearn can continue to get the game to grow globally

Hi JoJo,

With no structured league approach to young player development most of those who've got the talent to pursue a professional career are sticking with 9-ball. There are constant tournaments available for 9-ball, I know of at least 3 per week out of my hall. Compare that to no real snooker tournaments (only some invitationals) and monthly qualifiers (with no prize money) to reach the Canadian championship and we're left with no young players seriously considering snooker.

Canada really needs someone to step up and drive the amateur game. I'd always hoped Cliff, Kirk and some of the other guys who made it would work on setting up a proper junior circuit but it's never materialized.

Postby Witz78

Is there any specific time or occurence that can the decline in Canadian snooker can be attributed to?

Why did the stream of players from Canada dry up?

Why was the game so big in Canada in the first place?

Postby Sickpotter

Snooker or cue sports in general have never really been seen in a good light in Canada. To say Snooker was big in Canada is somewhat misleading. Snooker was big in Canada for a while when we had some players on TV but beyond that, it's never quite been a mainstream game. The reason for that is simple.....it's a bloody hard game to get good at.

For a very long time (and still somewhat the case) cue sports were associated with degenerates who don't work and hung around the pool hall trying to take money from unsuspecting victims. Seedy, poorly lit rooms with drug dealers and such in every corner don't ya know :sad:

It wasn't seen as a viable career option and I was VERY actively discouraged from even going to a pool hall by my folks. They, like most other parents just saw the disreputable pool hall, not the beauty of the game.

Cliff and others who went pro managed to finally drag the game into the daylight and attach some respectability to the game. Without them I think even pool would've been hard pressed to escape it's poor image so all Canadian cue sport enthusiasts owe those guys big time :idea:

Didn't much matter though as the 80''s came to a close, 9-ball got all the publicity. Lots of events, quick matches, good money and a game that even those with little talent have a chance of winning. All TV slots for cue sports were given to 9-ball events, snooker wasn't deemed fast paced enough for the 90's. Those growing up then were probably the first real ADD generation who wanted, nay demanded immediate satisfaction from everything and wanted it fast. If snooker could be won by potting just one ball it might have held their attention but it can't so they moved to a game where results were quick and anyone had a chance to win a frame.

So.......

"Is there any specific time or occurence that can the decline in Canadian snooker can be attributed to?" - not really but I'd say that no proper structure for junior advancement, the introduction of 9-ball, smoking bans and no TV coverage led to the decline.

"Why did the stream of players from Canada dry up?" - again, no properly structured road to the professional game so those who could have chosen the route found more opportunity with 9-ball

"Why was the game so big in Canada in the first place?" - Cliff, Kirk and that whole group brought snooker to light for Canada. It really was a back room thing before they started being shown on TV.

Postby Witz78

Great reply in detail as always Sickpotter :clap:

still interesting that with the success and publicity of the "big 3" the game didnt kick on from strength to strength though :huh:

tournaments were held in Canada and things seemed rosy then it all just dried up

Postby Sickpotter

Well I'm stepping out tonight for the first time in years and I gotta admit, I've got big time butterflies.

I went to practice yesterday for the first time in a couple of months and found myself to be hitting the ball very well. :huh:

I ran 3 tons in 4 line up drills culminating with a max. Yes it was just a line up drill but it's still a challenge to get the max :ahh:

I then proceeded to play a quick best of 5 with a mate and ran 123 first frame (13 red clearance missing the black), 88 (11 blacks) and 92.

Needless to say I felt on top of the world :D

Finally, the game's playing like I remember, I see the patterns and I'm not having much trouble with cue ball to object ball transfer during sighting.

Now for the issue.....there's always something :roll:

This could have very well been just a one off day where it all clicked again and I could be right back to ridiculously inconsistent play my next match.

Well after I had hit the ball so well I decided to see if I could get some of the crazy action and was successful.

My match is tonight, best of 5's, 6 reds for $1000 a set and man am I edgy :ashamed:

I probably I should've gotten a few more good sessions behind me before stepping out but there's something about taking on that kind of risk that fires me up and helps me focus.

Anyway, I'll post the results tomorrow...hopefully my form will hold and I'll pick up a few grand ;)

Postby Witz78

Good luck mate, hop you fare better than ive done in the last week.

Blown a 4-2 lead to lose 5-4

Blown a 5-3 lead to lose 7-5

and blown a 3-0, 5-3 and 6-5 lead to lose 7-6

all in all im around 650 quid down instead of 650 up thanks to some serious cases of clinchers disease

Postby wheelsofsteel

Witz78 wrote:Is there any specific time or occurence that can the decline in Canadian snooker can be attributed to?

Why did the stream of players from Canada dry up?

Why was the game so big in Canada in the first place?

The game wasn't big - it was just an image given by Bill Werbeniuk

And that is why it is called Canada Dry.

As for the decline, I'd put it down to drug testing

Postby Sickpotter

Well it appears that my game is still there under the gun. :D

I gave up 8 points on 6 and played pretty immaculate snooker, crushing my opponent 4 sets to nil dropping only two frames, both black ball deciders.

The rush I got from the match kinda reminded me of the days where my only income came from gambling at pool/snooker. There something about that stress/pressure that just gets me going. The rush is like riding a roller coaster for me and I never feel more alive than when I come under big pressure :mosh2:

I have to say I didn't think it was going to go all that well. I lost the very first game having been 33 ahead with 35 on and thoughts of Witz's bad run of losing from ahead crept in :scared: Fortunately I blocked the frame from my mind and went auto-pilot from there on. :ahh:

Amazingly enough my opponent still wants to play again and hasn't requested a bigger spot...go figure :huh:

Anyway, he's a real nice guy and it looks like I'll have someone for action for a while to come. With any luck I'll have at least a match a week which is way more play than I've been getting for the last year :D

Unsurprisingly they'd like to change the format to single games at $100 a pop and that's fine by me. Stakes like that greatly reduce the chances of finding yourself stuck a few thousand and while I could cover that kind of loss, I'm not comfortable enough to take a loss like that and not be tight for cash for a while after. At $100 a pop the money's still good enough to put some pressure on and keep me focused and that's more my goal than the actual cash.

Play within your means is probably the most important thing people should take away from this story. The pressure of playing for stakes that will leave you broke for a month can help you focus but it could just as well give you a heart attack ;)

I'll post some of the future matches and provide a running +/- on the cash.

ATM +4k :excited: