Topic locked

So what does the Shootout's popularity mean?

Postby SnookerFan

I'll be honest I didn't watch much. I was busy all week, true, but when there's ranking events on I make sure I'm not busy. Even if it's the Welsh Open, or the ones in China on at 6am. To be honest, I didn't think this would be any good. And seeing Friday's matches up to and including the Ronnie match, I had pretty much convinced myself it wasn't going to be any good. People kept coming in, making a break and leaving. :zzz: That couple with the crowd, which began to get on my tits (drunken people singing 'There's only on Ronnie O'Sullivan' doesn't seem to fit to snooker for me. And the guy going; "Higgins vs Williams. William you're out!" got on my nerves as well. (Just my opinion.)

However, on my return, I expected this to be the same as whenever something new is tried. There'll be some who like it, and others who don't find it their cup of tea. And you'll get wild going; "Bastard buck bastard bankers!" However, when I came on, I saw an almost 100% approval rating. It's getting rave reviews, and I can see why after that McLeod vs Drago match. (Drago's Out!)

My question is what does this mean? I'm sure we'll see lots more of these events, the crowd seemed to like them? Will they be like Barry Hearn's Prizefighter series in boxing. To explain, there's about one of them every month or two. They run a one-night boxing tournament (3-rounds a fight), then that's pretty much it. There's not a suggestion title fights should be 3-rounds, it's a fun distraction from the real sport. Is this what the Shootout's future is, or as Barry Hearn know owns snooker will he look to take some things learned here into rankers? Will we get Sky Shootout ranking events, or men announcing "Higgins you're out!" after every match. (By that, I mean the name is changable to who has lost. They don't just say Higgins in everybody's match. <laugh> )

What do people think the future of this event is? And what would you read from it's popularity if you were Barry Hearn?

Re: So what does the Shootout's popularity mean?

Postby Roland

What does the shootout's popularity mean? Hopefully that more people will show an interest in the main ranking events and Sky will want one of them.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:What does the shootout's popularity mean? Hopefully that more people will show an interest in the main ranking events and Sky will want one of them.

You think?

Credit to the event for attracting more positive attention then I thought it would, but does it really mean that people will be swamping to ranking events to watch? If people are expecting all tournaments to be like that, they are going to be disappointed when they watch a ranker. The problem we might face if it creates extra interest is, the first day or so we have increased interest, then it dies away.

Hopefully though, if we get a lot more fans because of this, the ones who stay watching after realising rankers are nothing like the Shootout will still be a significant number. We'll see, I guess.

Postby Roland

The Shootout was the perfect advert to get more people interested in the real game. See the players having fun, get to see the characters and know the faces and then when it's next on tv show more of an interest.

No one should feel threatened by the Shootout, it's just a bit of fun and it's good for the game. But we all know what the real game is. This is where the word "sport" should be brought into the equation to help people distinguish between the formats. The Shootout isn't sport, it's entertainment.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:The Shootout was the perfect advert to get more people interested in the real game. See the players having fun, get to see the characters and know the faces and then when it's next on tv show more of an interest.

No one should feel threatened by the Shootout, it's just a bit of fun and it's good for the game. But we all know what the real game is. This is where the word "sport" should be brought into the equation to help people distinguish between the formats. The Shootout isn't sport, it's entertainment.

I wasn't threatened, per se. I mean, I appreciate that Barry Hearn isn't going to just say; "Okay everybody, the remaining ranking events this season are Shootout format, the Crucible will now only last four days." I just wondered how he would build on it.

Your point is taken, interest is gained through knowledge, as it were. I hate tennis, but I knew Andy Murray was playing in the final of the Australian Open. Every time I turned the telly on, I saw his ugly mug. <laugh> All my friends had Andy Murray messages on their status on facebook. If I hadn't already watched tennis, and found I disliked it, I may have watched it due to the interest the publicity gave me. I'm not a big fan of cricket, but if I channel surfed on when the Ashes were on I went to myself; "Oh yeah, this is on". And watched a bit.

The key to success of snooker is marketing. I've been saying that for years, and we have to use this popularity to market the 'real' game. I was just debating how to do that. Not saying we will start changing the ranking events. That was be a disaster. In the same way Steve Davis saying we should shorten The Crucible is as well. Just making sure nobody got any stupid ideas, really. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

i think it was a positive weekend for the sport but honest to god i wasn't entertained more than a hard fought best of 25 frame match so if i feel like that why cant people who enjoyed that fall in love with the real game ?

Postby SnookerFan

My concern, which I hope is unfounded, is that we've had commentators come up with all kind of nonsense. The World Championship should be shorted, the Premier League is a major, Power Snooker is the future of the game. :roll: Of themselves, this is just commentator talk. But I worry if the waters are being tested so to speak, to bring these ideas in.

Hopefully that's just nonsense, and has been suggested, these events are used to promote the meat and drink events that are the rankers. If these events promote the sport then good, that's exactly what they are for. I don't think any of us can complain with that. <ok>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:My concern, which I hope is unfounded, is that we've had commentators come up with all kind of nonsense. The World Championship should be shorted, the Premier League is a major, Power Snooker is the future of the game. :roll: Of themselves, this is just commentator talk. But I worry if the waters are being tested so to speak, to bring these ideas in.

Hopefully that's just nonsense, and has been suggested, these events are used to promote the meat and drink events that are the rankers. If these events promote the sport then good, that's exactly what they are for. I don't think any of us can complain with that. <ok>

i know what you meen then we have a bit dim people on forums calling for shot clock shoot out rankers <doh>

im not worried about it because i have faith in Barry that unlike some he isnt on a loony bin waiting list <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i know what you meen then we have a bit dim people on forums calling for shot clock shoot out rankers <doh>

im not worried about it because i have faith in Barry that unlike some he isnt on a loony bin waiting list <ok>

Remember when you hated the idea of Hearn coming in? <laugh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:i know what you meen then we have a bit dim people on forums calling for shot clock shoot out rankers <doh>

Remember when you hated the idea of Hearn coming in? <laugh>

thats more complicated than that.......

i was a bit bitter that when snooker really needed him in the 90s he did not fight the authorities for control and virtually snake hissed off.....

if only he had come in 20 years ago when snooker was still in a strong position.

Postby Casey

The Shootout isn't sport, it's entertainment.

That's the best sum up of it.

I very much enjoyed it, it was fund and entertaining but its a far cry from a sport's format.

Hopefully next year the prizmoney will be even greater, meaning the players that toil around the tour year after year get to earn some decent money.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:

I very much enjoyed it, it was fund and entertaining but its a far cry from a sport's format.

Hopefully next year the prizmoney will be even greater, meaning the players that toil around the tour year after year get to earn some decent money.

its Like Paul McCartney or Robbie Williams entering a pub Karaoke for Fun <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:

Other then the fact that this was televised live, and the participants were paid to enter. Apart from that, it's a lot like your example. <ok>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:

Other then the fact that this was televised live, and the participants were paid to enter. Apart from that, it's a lot like your example. <ok>

Jesus Christ did not think of that.....

Snooker Players are on to a better deal than Paul McCartney <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

I think the format should be used for the Premier League... a 25 second shot clock means nothing, while 20 & 15 seconds really emphasises the time limit. Also, the crowd would suit the Premier League in my opinion.

Postby Wildey

Eirebilly wrote:It certainly generated a lot of interest so that cant be bad for the game.

so did the sinking of the titanic :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Eirebilly wrote:It certainly generated a lot of interest so that cant be bad for the game.

so did the sinking of the titanic :redneck:

Once again Wild really gets to the crux of the matter. And by that, I mean he uses an example that is completely irrelevant.