Post a reply

How do you rate Neil Robertson?

Postby SnookerFan

This might seem an odd question, for somebody who is the World Champion and is so high in the world rankings. But where do you rank Neil Roberston on an All Time Great List. Breaking down his tournament wins, he seems to have if and buts by most of them. The majority of which are unfair when you look at them, but do always seem to be there.

The Grand Prix 2006 where he beat Jamie Cope in the final, and the Welsh Open 2007 where he beat Andrew Higginson some people said; "Oh look, he's beaten two people outside the top-16 in the final". So what? Those two had managed to reach the final, so they'd obviously been playing well. And you don't win a tournament by playing just one match. People didn't point out that he'd knocked Ronnie O'Sullivan out of both of those tournaments on route to the final.

The Bahrain was perhaps the one where he 'got lucky' the most. Due to the Premier League in Haywards Heath that night, there was no John Higgins, Ding Junhui, Mark Selby or Steve Davis. (The last one not being much of a loss, quality-wise, granted.) And Ronnie pulled out. Of course, it wasn't Robertson fault who he plays, and there are other quality players outside of those that pulled out. Neil Robertson was the one who made the most of the situation, and got the glory. And rightly so.

There were no complaints with his Grand Prix 2009 win. He beat John Higgins in the semi, and Ding in the final. This proves class, no doubt.

Obviously, he's the reigning World Champion, though some still whinged that he played four qualifiers out of five. Despite playing a former World Champion in the final, playing Ali Carter in the semis, and actually coming through a tough game with Martin Gould. And the World Open, he played spectacularly well, and beat Ronnie in the final. Again, one can be critical of this tournament, and say winning a tournament of predominately best of fives won't be remembered as his biggest achievement. It won't. I'm not sure it's even as impressive on the CV as his 2009 GP win. What I do believe though, is that he played so well in the final against Ronnie that he could've played a best of 19, rather then 9, and still won.

So, after whittering on about all that, where do you place him? He seems to be somebody who probably unfairly, has had questions raised about a hell of a lot of his tournaments won. Do people believe that, no matter what, he's won enough ranking events to be above criticism? Or do people believe he's been lucky with some easy runs?

He's obviously a great player. And just in describing his ranking wins, I've by complete coincedence found 3 times he's beaten Ronnie. The most naturally talented, genius player ever. But how does he compare with the all time greats? Already there? Or does he need to prove more?

Re: How do you rate Neil Robertson?

Postby GJ

When he wins his 2nd world title this year he will join the greats list IMO

As no other player has won their first 2 world titles in successive years

Still plenty of room for improvement IMO

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:When he wins his 2nd world title this year he will join the greats list IMO

Really? I thought you'd be the first one up his backside. <laugh>

Actually, to be fair, I know I have ribbed you in the past for his 'easy draw' titles. But I think anybody who complains about that has got old. 6 ranking titles is 6 ranking titles. Respect. <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

GJ wrote:When he wins his 2nd world title this year he will join the greats list IMO

I agree - but only if he defends his world title this year - and that's not gonna happen.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

I agree - but only if he defends his world title this year - and that's not gonna happen.

The Crucible Curse strikes again.

Postby sundaygirl

I will be very interested in Neil's opinion on "The Crucible Curse", unless he 100% genuinely doesn't believe in curses it will get him, these things can become self for filling once attention is brought to them.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:I will be very interested in Neil's opinion on "The Crucible Curse", unless he 100% genuinely doesn't believe in curses it will get him, these things can become self for filling once attention is brought to them.

Yeah, interesting point. It depends how much they hype it. If after every match, they ask him about it, he might start feeling the strain of being the first one to do it. If he gets to the final, and he gets close, each frame could be seen as one step closer to being the first person to achieve something.

Personally, I find it a bit of a non-fact. It's just a more interesting way of saying; "Nobody has defended the World Title at The Crucible, outside of Davis and Hendry." :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:this how do you rate series, is it gonna travel thru the whole 96 players on tour..........................just a thought :)

Yup. About mid-week I plan on doing a "How do you rate Thepchaiya Un-Nooh?" thread.

Postby Roland

Still only Doherty and Joe Johnson have reached the final the year after their first title. Amazing really. But then only Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry have successfully defended.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:this how do you rate series, is it gonna travel thru the whole 96 players on tour..........................just a thought :)

Yup. About mid-week I plan on doing a "How do you rate Thepchaiya Un-Nooh?" thread.

When you do one on Chinas number one player (Zhanger) I will comment properly.

On Robbo I will say this:

I find his game very robotic and unappealing. I disliked his use of gamesmanship versus the delightful gentleman Martin Gould at the Crucible. Other than that I really have no grievance against the Victorian. :)

Postby Tubberlad

I think he's an excellent player, and should win a second World Title, though not this year. He's a delightful single ball potter and has made great strides... not to mention his bottle is pretty decent too. Top player.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:I think he's an excellent player, and should win a second World Title, though not this year. He's a delightful single ball potter and has made great strides... not to mention his bottle is pretty decent too. Top player.

i wont rule him out of doing it this year but there's a whole bus load waiting in the wings to be World Champion and others for another year.

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:

go on, make it happen :idea:

This is a "How do you rate Neil Robertson" thread? The Ken-Do one said; "How highly do you rate?" Two completely different topics.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

This is a "How do you rate Neil Robertson" thread? The Ken-Do one said; "How highly do you rate?" Two completely different topics.

I cant see any difference other than Neil is called Neil and Ken is called Ken. :|

Postby Eirebilly

I rte Robbo and think that he will add another world titel at least. The similarities between him and a young Mark Williams are scary sometimes.

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:

I cant see any difference other than Neil is called Neil and Ken is called Ken. :|

The word; "highly". It makes all the difference.