Post a reply

Who will retire with more title wins?

Ding Junhui
55%
Neil Robertson
45%

Total votes : 11

Re: Who will retire with more title wins?

Postby Wildey

well sense said Ding he has a few years on Neil but if Robbo carries on in the vein he has been in the next 5 years he will be on 12 Ranking Titles.

Postby Roland

I think Ding. I hope Selby will get in the mix too. Robbo will win many more rankers so that's how highly I rate Ding.

Postby Roland

Alarm bells are starting to ring for Selby fans. The way things are going he'll win the Shootout and the PTC finals and fall in round 1 or 2 of the rankers against players he should dominate. I'll forgive Dott at the Crucible because he played incredibly well, as only a World Champion can, but results since then are worrying.

Anyway, back on topic I will still say Ding. But maybe I'm reassessing my feelings that Selby is better than Robbo. More head to heads are required between them though.

Postby GJ

I think selby sometimes plays to negative he is at his best when he speeds up

Postby Roland

It's a fair comment. He needs to strike a balance. Funnily enough it's something he had mastered - the ability to slow it down when required but up the fluency when the chance came. Recently you can tell when matches mean more to him because he bogs it down more but when it's a lighter event he plays more care free. He needs to get that balance back - Selby of 1-3 years ago just needed to stick to the same gameplan and the titles would come but recently maybe he's thinking too much about underachieving and the pressure of that has affected his game. If he masters when the time is right to slow it down to get a grip on the match he'll turn the corner. Maybe a policy of go for everything in the early stages of a match is the way forward.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:It's a fair comment. He needs to strike a balance. Funnily enough it's something he had mastered - the ability to slow it down when required but up the fluency when the chance came. Recently you can tell when matches mean more to him because he bogs it down more but when it's a lighter event he plays more care free. He needs to get that balance back - Selby of 1-3 years ago just needed to stick to the same gameplan and the titles would come but recently maybe he's thinking too much about underachieving and the pressure of that has affected his game. If he masters when the time is right to slow it down to get a grip on the match he'll turn the corner. Maybe a policy of go for everything in the early stages of a match is the way forward.

He does not thrash anyone though, never bosses a game..................... that is a flaw <ok>

Postby randam05

Smart wrote:
Sonny wrote:It's a fair comment. He needs to strike a balance. Funnily enough it's something he had mastered - the ability to slow it down when required but up the fluency when the chance came. Recently you can tell when matches mean more to him because he bogs it down more but when it's a lighter event he plays more care free. He needs to get that balance back - Selby of 1-3 years ago just needed to stick to the same gameplan and the titles would come but recently maybe he's thinking too much about underachieving and the pressure of that has affected his game. If he masters when the time is right to slow it down to get a grip on the match he'll turn the corner. Maybe a policy of go for everything in the early stages of a match is the way forward.

He does not thrash anyone though, never bosses a game..................... that is a flaw <ok>

really good points about selby.

Postby Roland

Smart wrote:

Exactly. All his best results come from when he's behind when his opponent feels the pressure. That's why he should go all out attack until he's behind the way I see it.

Postby Wildey

im not saying this lightly but Selby has been the Closest ive seen to the Big 4 in dominating a table in the last 4 years but he just falls short and as a fan its bloody frustrating :grrr:

Postby Wildey

take his WC Match with Higgins in 2009 he was all over Higgins in that Match then a mixture of Grit from Higgins and taking his foot of the Gaz he lost...

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:take his WC Match with Higgins in 2009 he was all over Higgins in that Match then a mixture of Grit from Higgins and taking his foot of the Gaz he lost...

Who is Gaz? I wouldn't have wanted somebody's foot on me, either. Especially for the whole length of a snooker match.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:take his WC Match with Higgins in 2009 he was all over Higgins in that Match then a mixture of Grit from Higgins and taking his foot of the Gaz he lost...

Who is Gaz? I wouldn't have wanted somebody's foot on me, either. Especially for the whole length of a snooker match.

:redneck:

Postby jojo

selbys downful if you can call it that came when he took ronnie o sullivans comments too seriously one year when ronnie said selby too slow then selby quickened up and in my opionion he lost that bit of true quality which made him so good

if i was selby and ronnie said that about me think it was after the welsh open final in 2008 i would have said stick it pal i show you what slow is and slowed down even more against ronnie if i could that would have winded up ronnie even more playing to his weaknesses

selby has definitely lost that something about him when you take away his two masters wins hes only actually won one ranking event the welsh open and i think hes 26 still got time on his side but hes behind quite a few of his peers when really he shouldnt be

Postby jojo

going back to the original question i say ding even though im a robertson fan

ding still got a few years on robertson and the masters final in 2007 was significant however so was the recent win over fu i think dings got the best chance of the modern generation players to take the game by the scruff of the neck and start winning tournaments regularly

Postby Smart

jojo wrote:selbys downful if you can call it that came when he took ronnie o sullivans comments too seriously one year when ronnie said selby too slow then selby quickened up and in my opionion he lost that bit of true quality which made him so good

if i was selby and ronnie said that about me think it was after the welsh open final in 2008 i would have said stick it pal i show you what slow is and slowed down even more against ronnie if i could that would have winded up ronnie even more playing to his weaknesses

selby has definitely lost that something about him when you take away his two masters wins hes only actually won one ranking event the welsh open and i think hes 26 still got time on his side but hes behind quite a few of his peers when really he shouldnt be

good post, he needs to play "his game" not what others think or what PL dictates. He can play quicker but he W/L ratio is not good enough considering his talent, that much we generally all agree on. :|

Postby Tubberlad

Robertson will have more success in the future, but considering Ding's age, he's got the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck. His mentality is a problem, but for a man judged as mentally weak, he has done awfully well even at this stage. 4 rankers, including two UKs, and a Masters. It's easy to forget he's only 23!

He has won three majors, more than fine players like Ebdon, Doherty, Selby, Robertson & even Jimmy White.

To answer the original question, Ding will win more titles by the time his career ends than what Robertson will, and has the potential to be one of the all-time greats.