Post a reply

What do people make of Dominic Dale as a commentator?

Postby SnookerFan

I've heard him do commentary for Eurosport in the past, when he's not qualified for a torunament in the past. And has done commentary for BBC Wales at the Welsh Open in the past. What do people make of his commentary? I think he's okay, but not in Hendry's league. No chance of him getting on the main BBC, but I think he's okay.

Re: What do people make of Dominic Dale as a commentator?

Postby Bourne

I had him on the earpiece when I was at the Welsh the other year, and tbh he was quite uncomfortable, you felt he was going to burst out laughing any moment for no apparent reason, he just has that tone to his voice, I don't think he's best suited to commentary but a decent analyst.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:I had him on the earpiece when I was at the Welsh the other year, and tbh he was quite uncomfortable, you felt he was going to burst out laughing any moment for no apparent reason, he just has that tone to his voice, I don't think he's best suited to commentary but a decent analyst.

Maybe I just thought he was good, because he spent most of the time commentating with Terry Griffiths, and I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

Postby Steve K

I love Dominic Dale as a commentator and as a presenter. He is approachable, very likable and has a fresh voice in the commentary box. It's just a shame that he hasn't won more major events otherwise he might be commentating in the major BBC events and not just for the Welsh Open.

Postby SnookerFan

Steve K wrote:I love Dominic Dale as a commentator and as a presenter. He is approachable, very likable and has a fresh voice in the commentary box. It's just a shame that he hasn't won more major events otherwise he might be commentating in the major BBC events and not just for the Welsh Open.

I have a feeling that's more to do with the fact that he is Welsh. They usually hold over his qualifying round to the Welsh Open as well, to give the Welsh Super Fan somebody to cheer for.

Postby sundaygirl

Steve K wrote:I love Dominic Dale as a commentator and as a presenter. He is approachable, very likable and has a fresh voice in the commentary box. It's just a shame that he hasn't won more major events otherwise he might be commentating in the major BBC events and not just for the Welsh Open.

Hey Steve, Was it you we spotted on TV front row behind Mark J at the Masters?

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:I actually think he is better in front and behind camera than some of the senior BBC crew - but isn't 'namey' enough for BBC

It's interesting that they got him to commentate on Eurosport, then stepped up to regional BBC. Did he do it last year? I don't remember. I know he did 2009, as I was there watching him play, and knew he did commentary analysis when he wasn't playing.

Seems a nice guy, but can't really see him slotting in with Hazel, Steve and John in the studio. Maybe they could use him as a back up player. As they do with Clive when Steve and Ken qualify for the first rounds of a tournament. In a "We ask you to do two matches at the beginning of the tournament, and then ask you to snake hiss off" sort of a way. They'd never use Dale more then that. But I think he's okay at it. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Postby wheelsofsteel

SnookerFan wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:I actually think he is better in front and behind camera than some of the senior BBC crew - but isn't 'namey' enough for BBC

It's interesting that they got him to commentate on Eurosport, then stepped up to regional BBC.

Don't you mean drop down to regional BBC? Eurosport have more viewers than BBC Wales

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It's interesting that they got him to commentate on Eurosport, then stepped up to regional BBC.

Don't you mean drop down to regional BBC? Eurosport have more viewers than BBC Wales

I guess it depends which way you look at it. Obviously, BBC Wales is only going to have one commentary/analysis job a year. If you are a full time commentator, you might prefer a job on Eurosport rather then a single region on the BBC. And Eurosport is cross-continent.

On the other hand, Eurosport is run on a shoe-string, so I doubt Dominic Dale himself gets paid more by Eurosport then the BBC would pay him. Though that's a guess. And at the Newport Centre, there is a studio and commentary position which they sit and watch the action from. They aren't watching it somewhere else, on TV and adding their own commentary. Hence why I referred to it as a step-up.

Postby wheelsofsteel

"They aren't watching it somewhere else, on TV and adding their own commentary. Hence why I referred to it as a step-up."

Yes you are right. Patrick Moore on the Sky At Night is rubbish because he's never been on a star or a planet. How would he know what he's talking about

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:"They aren't watching it somewhere else, on TV and adding their own commentary. Hence why I referred to it as a step-up."

Yes you are right. Patrick Moore on the Sky At Night is rubbish because he's never been on a star or a planet. How would he know what he's talking about

Where did I say they didn't know what they're talking about? Knowledge of commentary team had never come into the conversation. If anything we're talking about the same commentator, on two different channels.

I was referring to working conditions, rather then knowledge of the presenters. This isn't an insult towards Eurosport, it's just a statement that if you were commentating on a sporting event would you rather be in a studio at the venue, or watching on a TV somewhere else and talking over it?

Postby wheelsofsteel

SnookerFan wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:"They aren't watching it somewhere else, on TV and adding their own commentary. Hence why I referred to it as a step-up."

Where did I say they didn't know what they're talking about? Knowledge of commentary team had never come into the conversation. If anything we're talking about the same commentator, on two different channels.

I was referring to working conditions, rather then knowledge of the presenters. This isn't an insult towards Eurosport, it's just a statement that if you were commentating on a sporting event would you rather be in a studio at the venue, or watching on a TV somewhere else and talking over it?

You mean they are not at the venue :evilgrin:

Postby SnookerFan

jadechelsea wrote:i like dom dale as a commentator well he is my best commentator at the welsh open but that is all he commentats on is in it?

I can't honestly remember what else he commentated on in Eurosport. :huh: I think he did a few of the minor tournaments that he didn't qualify for. He might have done the China Open or Shanghai Masters. The only one he's commentated for in the BBC was the Welsh Open.

Postby randam05

Well hes a legend isnt he? I think hes brilliant to watch and a brilliant guy when you speak to him no matter how eccentric he is. And cause he is eccentric he is a character. Also his commentary is great, very subtle and clean. Would like to hear him more often actually. And unlike the other welsh commentators he isnt hugely biased towards the welsh players.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:Well hes a legend isnt he? I think hes brilliant to watch and a brilliant guy when you speak to him no matter how eccentric he is. And cause he is eccentric he is a character. Also his commentary is great, very subtle and clean. Would like to hear him more often actually. And unlike the other welsh commentators he isnt hugely biased towards the welsh players.

I wouldn't know. I can't tell what most of them say. Terry Griffiths. :wave:

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:
randam05 wrote:Well hes a legend isnt he? I think hes brilliant to watch and a brilliant guy when you speak to him no matter how eccentric he is. And cause he is eccentric he is a character. Also his commentary is great, very subtle and clean. Would like to hear him more often actually. And unlike the other welsh commentators he isnt hugely biased towards the welsh players.

Well they are biased towards the welsh players, infact very biased..annoys me a lot.

Postby Steve K

sundaygirl wrote:

Hey Steve, Was it you we spotted on TV front row behind Mark J at the Masters?

Yes it was! (http://maximumsnooker.com/images/The_Ma ... asters.jpg) Also was at the final but was to the side, still on the front row though!

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Well they are biased towards the welsh players, infact very biased..annoys me a lot.

yes its very annoying :seif:

getting on my tits aswell <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:I'm sure if the opportunity arose to fill one of the BBC commentators slots then Dale could be relied upon to rise to the occasion.

he did some BBC Work at the World Championship the year Steve Davis was Playing John Parrott in the first Round.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:I'm sure if the opportunity arose to fill one of the BBC commentators slots then Dale could be relied upon to rise to the occasion.

he did some BBC Work at the World Championship the year Steve Davis was Playing John Parrott in the first Round.

How was he? Can you remember? :wave:

Postby Roland

That was between frames when they were still on air and the ref was racking the balls for next frame. Hendon and whoever he was with didn't say a word, apparently one of the European commentators thought it was something to do with the volcano in Iceland :redneck:

Anyway, there was long slow zoom in to the shirt until it went full screen. In HD <cool>