Topic locked

Is Berlin the right place?

Postby Eirebilly

I may be the only one here but i am not sure that this event should be held in Berlin. I would much have prefered it be held in a place like Dortmond which is reasonably central and not too far for fans from Holland and Belgium to also make the drive to watch the snooker. Part of the Bruge sucess was due to large amounts of Dutch fans also making the drive down for the day/s.

Re: Is Berlin the right place?

Postby Roland

Did you not see what Michaela said about the venue of this one? It sounds awesome and you've got 5 tables and no divides so I'm really looking forward to this one, assuming it's televised.

Postby Eirebilly

Problem is not the venue Sonny as its a great venue, the problem is that Germany is so big and its a long way for people to travel. Munich has the most snooker clubs in Germany but that is also too far to travel for a lot of people. I would just have liked to see it a played a bit more central so to attrack more fans willing to make the journey thats all.

Postby Monique

The Tempodrom is indeed awesome and Berlin itself has a lot of appeal. It has an airport and is easily reachable by train as well.

Postby Eirebilly

No doubt Mon but it still remains a long distance to travel. I love Berlin, have been there many times. Most of my snooker friends in Munchen wont be attending as it is too far for them.

Postby Eirebilly

I am not against it being held in Berlijn, just seeing the other side of the coin thats all.

Postby SnookerFan

eirebilly wrote:I am not against it being held in Berlijn, just seeing the other side of the coin thats all.

A rare ability on this website. <laugh>

Postby Eirebilly

SnookerFan wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I am not against it being held in Berlijn, just seeing the other side of the coin thats all.

<laugh> Many have it snookerfan <ok> . I must say though that i am very happy with the snooker exposure thats being generated on mainland Europe and long may it continue.

Postby SnookerFan

eirebilly wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

<laugh> Many have it snookerfan <ok> . I must say though that i am very happy with the snooker exposure thats being generated on mainland Europe and long may it continue.

<ok>

Postby Roland

I have to admit I'm banking on being able to see this event on television. I'll be gutted if it's not televised given the nature of it.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:I have to admit I'm banking on being able to see this event on television. I'll be gutted if it's not televised given the nature of it.

Eurosport still have a contract to piggyback coverage of all World snooker ranking events. If its broadcast in Germany then Eurosport will pick it up. You would have to be confident that there a German TV company will pick it up

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:
Sonny wrote:I have to admit I'm banking on being able to see this event on television. I'll be gutted if it's not televised given the nature of it.

Eurosport still have a contract to piggyback coverage of all World snooker ranking events. If its broadcast in Germany then Eurosport will pick it up. You would have to be confident that there a German TV company will pick it up

RTL..? :idea:

Postby kostasmad

Have been in Berlin. Its where i proposed to my wife. Didn't like it to be honest..Its the dirtiest capital in Europe (even worst than Athens or Istanbul). The eastern part with Alexander platz is very good... Overall, I was not impressed though...Maybe i am a bit prejudgist against the German and thats the main reason. I know they love snooker though and probably the venue would be fantastic. As much as i dislike Germans they are very organised in that kind of situations and the tournament would be a guaranteed success...

Postby Wildey

kostasmad wrote:Have been in Berlin. Its where i proposed to my wife. Didn't like it to be honest..Its the dirtiest capital in Europe (even worst than Athens or Istanbul). The eastern part with Alexander platz is very good... Overall, I was not impressed though...Maybe i am a bit prejudgist against the German and thats the main reason. I know they love snooker though and probably the venue would be fantastic. As much as i dislike Germans they are very organised in that kind of situations and the tournament would be a guaranteed success...

mmmmmmmm just a thought did she say yes there or did you have to ask her again lol

Postby SnookerFan

kostasmad wrote:Have been in Berlin. Its where i proposed to my wife. Didn't like it to be honest..Its the dirtiest capital in Europe (even worst than Athens or Istanbul). The eastern part with Alexander platz is very good... Overall, I was not impressed though...Maybe i am a bit prejudgist against the German and thats the main reason. I know they love snooker though and probably the venue would be fantastic. As much as i dislike Germans they are very organised in that kind of situations and the tournament would be a guaranteed success...

Worse then Athens. Really? Never been to Berlin, but Athens was one of the shittiest places I've ever been to. And I've been to Croydon, and Newport. It was an absolute dump.

Postby kostasmad

HA! maybe thats why i prefer to live in London instead of Athens. However you took it too far...You cannot compare shitholes like Newport with Athens. Athens has a great nightlife and thousands things to do...6 million people live there, not 10,000. It is dirty though. On the other hand, the underground is very clean (unlike London and Paris and Berlin) and the airport fantastic. You are the exception though. Many Britisdh friends that i have say the best words for Athens. Dont agree with them though...

Postby kostasmad

And Wild....she did say yes to Berlin. She didnt have any other option there....I was holding the ring in my left hand and a knife in the right....

Postby SnookerFan

kostasmad wrote:HA! maybe thats why i prefer to live in London instead of Athens. However you took it too far...You cannot compare shitholes like Newport with Athens. Athens has a great nightlife and thousands things to do...6 million people live there, not 10,000. It is dirty though. On the other hand, the underground is very clean (unlike London and Paris and Berlin) and the airport fantastic. You are the exception though. Many Britisdh friends that i have say the best words for Athens. Dont agree with them though...

The only bad thing about comparing it to Newport, is I've probably offended Newport. <laugh>

To be fair, I was only there for 24 hours due to there being a strike on the adjoining airline when I was going to Crete on holiday. But I do consider it one of the worst places I've ever been.

I've never seen such insanse driving, either. They haven't invented traffic lights, they just stick a policeman on each road, blowing a whistle and attempting to guide traffic, when peole are driving at 40mph, and ignoring him. No word of an exaggeration, I once nearly run over by a guy driving on the pavement.

Maybe I'd come to love it, but I've never come to dislike a place so much, in such a short period of time.

Postby Wildey

kostasmad wrote:And Wild....she did say yes to Berlin. She didnt have any other option there....I was holding the ring in my left hand and a knife in the right....

you joking right <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
kostasmad wrote:And Wild....she did say yes to Berlin. She didnt have any other option there....I was holding the ring in my left hand and a knife in the right....

you joking right <laugh>

No, Wild. He is serious. He threatened to murder a woman who wouldn't marry him, and not only that, he's mentioned it to everybody on the internet. <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

kostasmad wrote:HA! maybe thats why i prefer to live in London instead of Athens. However you took it too far...You cannot compare shitholes like Newport with Athens. Athens has a great nightlife and thousands things to do...6 million people live there, not 10,000. It is dirty though. On the other hand, the underground is very clean (unlike London and Paris and Berlin) and the airport fantastic. You are the exception though. Many Britisdh friends that i have say the best words for Athens. Dont agree with them though...

At what? I was stranded in Athens for 24 hours, due to the shoddiness of the airport.

Postby wheelsofsteel

So speaketh Barry's new head of communications and sponsorship development

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:

So speaketh Barry's new head of communications and sponsorship development

He's found a novel way to attract new sponsors. <laugh>

Postby kostasmad

Snookerfan it should have been a 1/100 occasion and you hit it. Tough luck indeed. Never in the past heard someone to complain about shoddiness in that airport.
It was awarded best airport in Europe last year I think. It is very clean with great services unlike shitty LGW.
Come on, you were probably too eager to go to Crete, get drunk and take your clothes out in public as every descent Brit... rofl

Postby SnookerFan

kostasmad wrote:Snookerfan it should have been a 1/100 occasion and you hit it. Tough luck indeed. Never in the past heard someone to complain about shoddiness in that airport.
It was awarded best airport in Europe last year I think. It is very clean with great services unlike shitty LGW.
Come on, you were probably too eager to go to Crete, get drunk and take your clothes out in public as every descent Brit... rofl

Hardly. I was going with my parents. Though, I was out every night in the tavernas. :D

I'm surprised it won best European Airport. At the time I wouldn't have given it a best Airport in Greece award. :roll: As I remember it, it was a dump. But this was something like 13 years ago, and viewed in the middle of the night when being informed all the flights were down.