Post a reply

The Good Doctor

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 16,00.html

The 26-year-old from Hyderabad is reigning state champion and ranked No 1 for this season, and boasts a top break of 133 in matchplay - and 147 in practice.

He has entered the Q School - the new tournament which runs from May 11 to 31 and will have 12 places up for grabs on next season's professional circuit. The semi-finalists from each of four week-long tournaments will be handed a spot on the World Snooker Tour, where they will be competing for total prize money of £4.5million.

"The day I heard of this format, I told myself 'I am going come what may.'" Dr Raoof told worldsnooker.com. "I started playing when I was 14 years old and since then I have been a player of considerable merit, performing quite well at the state and national level tournaments.

"Snooker unfortunately had to take a back seat soon after I joined medical school. Now, I have taken a year off work to prepare for and play in the Q school. It's a fantastic idea for players like me who cannot afford to stay a whole year in the UK to try to qualify for the main tour.

"Since childhood I have dreamt of being a world champion and now I have a shot at making it possible. I will give it everything I have got and irrespective of the outcome I am sure it will be a trip and experience I will cherish for a long time to come.

"Like every other budding snooker player I have idolised Stephen Hendry and Ronnie O'Sullivan. It would be a dream come true if I was able to rub shoulders with them and, who knows, if things go as planned I might play them on the main tour if I qualify from Q school."

Dr Raoof revealed that snooker is growing in popularity in India, adding: "About 80,000 to 100,000 people play snooker on a daily basis in clubs and snooker centres. And there are about 300 serious snooker players who travel all the year round for tournaments."

Well India is the Spiritual Home of Snooker when sir Nevile Chamberlain first used the term snooker in Jubbulpore India in 1875 then the Rules was drawn up and 5 years later John Roberts Junior a Legendary Billiards player went to India and as a Result of that Visit Brought Snooker Back to England and the Rest is History.

so its good that India is Taking a Intrest in the Game and Hopefully the Game will Grow and Grow there as it has in China.

Re: The Good Doctor

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:So the term "snooker" came from a 6 year old? I guess it does sound a bit like a childs made up word.

:santa:

not that Nevil Chamberlain lol

Postby Witz78

anyone else think the way their getting 12 guys onto tour isnt the best.

I mean why not have the 3 tournaments back to back but have a PIOS / PTC style ranking system where you play all 3 tournaments and points are allocated for how far you get in each tournament.

You could have one average standard club player fluking his way onto tour by getting good draws in one tournament.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:anyone else think the way their getting 12 guys onto tour isnt the best.

I mean why not have the 3 tournaments back to back but have a PIOS / PTC style ranking system where you play all 3 tournaments and points are allocated for how far you get in each tournament.

You could have one average standard club player fluking his way onto tour by getting good draws in one tournament.

yes i think you got something there

Witz with a good idea :eek:
But how id like it to be is

First of All id Have Top 8 on the PTC Got in Amateur or Professional

then Have 3 Q School Winners Getting Through

Then the top 9 on the Q School Rankings that doesn't include the Winners Obviously.

Postby Sickpotter

I have to wonder who decides on the fields :chin:

Can anyone enter the events? What's put in place to guarantee the field for each event will be top quality?

I would expect decent players to show but that doesn't mean they'll be world class players or guarantee those who make the semis will be worthy of a spot on the pro circuit.

Where's the player QA for this? :huh:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:anyone else think the way their getting 12 guys onto tour isnt the best.

yes i think you got something there

Witz with a good idea :eek:
But how id like it to be is

First of All id Have Top 8 on the PTC Got in Amateur or Professional

then Have 3 Q School Winners Getting Through

Then the top 9 on the Q School Rankings that doesn't include the Winners Obviously.

yeh im in total agreement :scared:

yeh its a joke the top 8 in the PTC outwith the top 64 who stay on tour have to be professionals. It would give the PTC far more importance as well as help make it more attractive to amateurs as another avenue onto tour as it would be help open up the tour more.

Yeh id go with your 3+9 suggestion there for the Q School instead of the 3x4 there doing

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:I have to wonder who decides on the fields :chin:

Can anyone enter the events? What's put in place to guarantee the field for each event will be top quality?

I would expect decent players to show but that doesn't mean they'll be world class players or guarantee those who make the semis will be worthy of a spot on the pro circuit.

Well it costs £1000 so i wouldn't expect Players that dont fancy their chances throwing a grand away.

Postby Witz78

A grands nothing these days to be honest. At least this way the WPSBA should cover the costs of staging the event at least if not make some money off it plus if it was free to enter or cheap then every club player in the land would enter just for the sake of it. Least this way only those who think they have a genuine shot of making the tour will enter this Q School.

As it is, i propose to enter a few PTC events next season.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:As it is, i propose to enter a few PTC events next season.

:scared:

bad enough having to reply to you without watching you on Live Scoring <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

hopefully theyll be shown online next season. <ok>

A dream draw versus Jimmy, Drago, Trump, Ebdon, Davis, Knowles or a grudge match with Higgins would be well worth the £100 entry fee.

Then again my best bet might be getting drawn against Ronnie rofl

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

A dream draw versus Jimmy, Drago, Trump, Ebdon, Davis, Knowles or a grudge match with Higgins would be well worth the £100 entry fee.

Witz online :scared:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

just so long as i dont do what Dirty Den did when he was online <doh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote: :scared:

just so long as i dont do what Dirty Den did when he was online <doh>

<laugh> <laugh>

Postby Sickpotter

Wild wrote:

Well it costs £1000 so i wouldn't expect Players that dont fancy their chances throwing a grand away.

Agreed but being truly honest with yourself with regards to your ability isn't terribly common. Virtually everyone I know thinks they're better than they are ;)

Just because you think you play to the professional level and can afford to play in the event doesn't mean you actually do play to a professional standard. If even one event is filled by players of this sort then there could easily be two players who get a pro ticket but really can't compete.

Postby Witz78

Sickpotter wrote:
Wild wrote:

Agreed but being truly honest with yourself with regards to your ability isn't terribly common. Virtually everyone I know thinks they're better than they are ;)

Just because you think you play to the professional level and can afford to play in the event doesn't mean you actually do play to a professional standard. If even one event is filled by players of this sort then there could easily be two players who get a pro ticket but really can't compete.

Be interesting to get John from London Towns views on this :ahh:

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:
Wild wrote:

Thats True enough just look at The X Factor all sort of tone def People Enter that thinking they got talent and some gets through Auditions even

Postby Sickpotter

Bang on.

Check this loser from Canadian Idol....got arrested for plotting a terror attack a couple of years after the audition.

Guess when one career doesn't pan out you gotta look for another vocation ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_xJO9rg ... re=related

Maybe he'll look into snooker now rofl

If you can find the whole video it's definitely one of the funniest/most pathetic auditions for any talent show :idea:

Postby SnookerFan

Extending to other countries can only be good for the game. Give it a couple of seasons and Barry Hearn may well have introduced the bet365.com India Open. :D

Postby SnookerFan

Khizar Raoof looks forward to the home support he'll get at the 2012 bet365.com Indian Open, as he prepares to take on Mark Selby in the first round at the Town Hall in Leicester...