Topic locked

Are people looking forward to this?

Postby SnookerFan

Not sure how I feel about this tournament. I'd be on here shouting that it sounded crap, except for the fact I said the same thing about Power Snooker. Now, though it was a bit naff, the format itself wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. As a one-off day, maybe once a year, I don't mind it as a bit of Saturday afternoon telly. I missed the semis and the final, and didn't care much. (This coming from the guy who was gutted he couldn't see the end of this year's Shanghai Masters) But as a bit of fluff telly, the format wasn't too bad.

However, I'm not one for too much razmatazz. If I want to watch snooker, I want to watch snooker. I don't want to watch snake hissing about. The aforementioned Power Snooker could've been improved if they got rid of the unneccessary dolly birds walking to the table. And the drunk blokes who nearly creamed themselves every time the referee said; "Power Zone" got annoying. I have a feeling that every time a Bouncer or Beauty comes out I am going to get a little bit more irked. And as I pretty much die of boredom in the shot clock Premier League, I can't see myself enjoying this too much. Probably give it a try, if I'm not doing anything else.

What do others think?

Re: Are people looking forward to this?

Postby Roland

I think Power Snooker will eat this one for breakfast but at least all the entrants will get a spell in front of the tv cameras. I expect the format to be a farce. The fact Shaun Murphy thinks the new rule should be white in hand anywhere on the table after a foul in real snooker based on a practice of this one adds weight to the arguement that it'll be rubbish. :redneck:

When is the next Power Snooker event anyway?

Postby Wildey

i look forward to 17 days in Sheffield in April so 3 days in blackpool in January cant be described as looking forward to it but its something on TV then 3 days later the German Masters Starts.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:When is the next Power Snooker event anyway?

this side of NEVER <ok>

Postby Black2white

Sonny wrote:The fact Shaun Murphy thinks the new rule should be white in hand anywhere on the table after a foul

the day when this :bs: included in the rule-book I'll stop watching snooker for good.
I appreciate tactical safety battles much more than scoring big breaks :no:

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:

this side of NEVER <ok>

It wasn't that bad. It wasn't awesome, don't get me wrong. It was totally missable if you have better plans. And it certainly wasn't the Future of Snooker that it was advertised as.

For me, it was a bit like Big Break. Okay enough, but hasn't got anything to do with real ranking events.

Postby Wildey

Black2white wrote:
Sonny wrote:The fact Shaun Murphy thinks the new rule should be white in hand anywhere on the table after a foul

the day when this :bs: included in the rule-book I'll stop watching snooker for good.
I appreciate tactical safety battles much more than scoring big breaks :no:

that's one Rule id definitely get rid in 9 Ball Pool it just ruins the game.

i used to watch 9 ball but its so easy to get a in off in it that the Ball in hand rule is to dominating in matches.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

this side of NEVER <ok>

It wasn't that bad. It wasn't awesome, don't get me wrong. It was totally missable if you have better plans. And it certainly wasn't the Future of Snooker that it was advertised as.

For me, it was a bit like Big Break. Okay enough, but hasn't got anything to do with real ranking events.

ohhhhh it was that bad even worst than that bad.

it was the cue sport equivalent to burocracy red tape gone bonkers.

there was rule on rules that outlawed rules.....totally senseless rubbish.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:I think Power Snooker will eat this one for breakfast but at least all the entrants will get a spell in front of the tv cameras. I expect the format to be a farce. The fact Shaun Murphy thinks the new rule should be white in hand anywhere on the table after a foul in real snooker based on a practice of this one adds weight to the arguement that it'll be rubbish. :redneck:

and about Powersnooker this is what Ronnie had to say on Rileys

Do you think Power Snooker was a sucess?
I think it was a brave move to show how snooker can adapt. I think there’s a place for Power Snooker, I think there are options for a shortened game and then you’ve got the World Championship. They’re all valid in my book because they all offer something different. The World Championships finds out the best in the world but there’s talent to take on other forms and I think we have to think of the punters and giving them something a bit different.

and

The Power Snooker tournament at the O2 arena was great fun and it was great to be crowned its first champion when I beat Ding Junhui in the final.
It was nice to get a tournament wrapped up in a night and in a way it was a bit of a throw back to the early years with tournaments at my local clubs.
The format was a great idea, especially the power ball format and power play for double points. I believe the game’s format will be coming to Rileys clubs for everyone to have a go and I recommend you give it a go.

source: http://www.rileys.co.uk/ronnie.aspx

bold added by me.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
Sonny wrote:I think Power Snooker will eat this one for breakfast but at least all the entrants will get a spell in front of the tv cameras. I expect the format to be a farce. The fact Shaun Murphy thinks the new rule should be white in hand anywhere on the table after a foul in real snooker based on a practice of this one adds weight to the arguement that it'll be rubbish. :redneck:

and about Powersnooker this is what Ronnie had to say on Rileys

Do you think Power Snooker was a sucess?
I think it was a brave move to show how snooker can adapt. I think there’s a place for Power Snooker, I think there are options for a shortened game and then you’ve got the World Championship. They’re all valid in my book because they all offer something different. The World Championships finds out the best in the world but there’s talent to take on other forms and I think we have to think of the punters and giving them something a bit different.

and

The Power Snooker tournament at the O2 arena was great fun and it was great to be crowned its first champion when I beat Ding Junhui in the final.
It was nice to get a tournament wrapped up in a night and in a way it was a bit of a throw back to the early years with tournaments at my local clubs.
The format was a great idea, especially the power ball format and power play for double points. I believe the game’s format will be coming to Rileys clubs for everyone to have a go and I recommend you give it a go.

source: http://www.rileys.co.uk/ronnie.aspx

bold added by me.

Changed his mind a bit from when he called The Crucible boring I see. <laugh> Hearn must have told him off for that. :wave:

Postby Wildey

and although there are some off the wall rules in this it will be easier to understand not only for us but the refs.

snookers charm is the simplicity in the rules when you start to use bullocks like power zone triple points all that rubish then its not snooker and a embarrassment they even added the word snooker in the title.

power crap would be more fitting <ok> :redneck:

Postby Black2white

Wild wrote:
Black2white wrote:the day when this :bs: included in the rule-book I'll stop watching snooker for good.
I appreciate tactical safety battles much more than scoring big breaks :santa:

that's one Rule id definitely get rid in 9 Ball Pool it just ruins the game.

i used to watch 9 ball but its so easy to get a in off in it that the Ball in hand rule is to dominating in matches.

<ok> absolutely spot on
such rules make complete mockery of the game

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:ohhhhh it was that bad even worst than that bad.

it was the cue sport equivalent to burocracy red tape gone bonkers.

there was rule on rules that outlawed rules.....totally senseless rubbish.

I was all prepared to agree with you when I saw the rules. And I am pretty sure again I will hate the above tournament.

But at the same time I think there is potential for a non-serious tournament in Power Snooker. Providing it's only a once a year event. I wouldn't want Hearn to get carried away with his 'future of snooker' bullocks.

The aggregate score rather then frame was better then I thought it would be. And the double points for being in the power zone was too. There were improvements needed, granted. As follows; Get rid of the drunks shouting, and get rid of the women. And the epileptic warning shirts they were wearing. Get rid of the hammer that was presenting it. And don't have 'there are female referees' as your big selling point. But take it more seriously as an event, and it might become half-watchable.

I do feel, though, that the Sky Shootout tournament has shortened the snooker and increased the razmatazz to such an extent, that you might as well not have them playing snooker at all. And just have the players walking around with pretty girls on their arms whilst music plays. I may stand corrected, but that's how I feel before watching it.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

It depends how well the players will adept to the format. If they can't cope with the shot clock and the time limit it will be probably a very low quality, no fun tournament. But if they can it'll be fast firing fun without to much pressure.

Postby Wildey

i have no problem with aggregates scores but it was like they started to make the rules then went in to overdrive and just couldn't stop putting more rules on top of the rules.

i was open minded about power snooker what made me against it prior was the rubbish Ronnie,Robbo and Murphy was spouting through their asses but then the saturday came and i switched on the TV and it was nonsensical trash from the table set up,ITV Coverage and the mob that apparently by the night when they were snake hissed got worst so i switched it off before i got a splitting headake.

im going to see what this is about how the rules and speed will be integrated.

what makes this tournament Better is the volume of players 64 and looking at Rory McLeod as a blue bottom fly playing or trying to play fast.

speed events with fast players seems a bit pointless to me we all know they can play fast.

Postby Roland

You were never open minded about Power Snooker wild. And you watched it for a total of 5 minutes before you made your mind up and spent the rest of the day on this forum having a dig at anyone who said anything positive about it. At least it's not attempting to be real snooker. This Sky bullocks with a 20 second shotclock and ball in hand is an attempt to bastardise the game of snooker. Power Snooker is a blatantly different game based around proper snooker more in tribute than an attempt to change it. You are so foolish you can't see how your hatred of Power Snooker will fuel the likes of the Premier League and this Sky bullocks with 20 or 25 second clocks which is what really makes for a farcical specatcle.

Postby Casey

I think its a great chance for the players to earn some decent money. Especially the lower ranked players, I would love to see the likes of Hamilton, Hawkings Harold etc win the thing.

there are no ranking points, its not going to replace snooker...so why not sit back and enjoy it.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You were never open minded about Power Snooker wild. And you watched it for a total of 5 minutes before you made your mind up and spent the rest of the day on this forum having a dig at anyone who said anything positive about it. At least it's not attempting to be real snooker. This Sky bullocks with a 20 second shotclock and ball in hand is an attempt to bastardise the game of snooker. Power Snooker is a blatantly different game based around proper snooker more in tribute than an attempt to change it. You are so foolish you can't see how your hatred of Power Snooker will fuel the likes of the Premier League and this Sky bullocks with 20 or 25 second clocks which is what really makes for a farcical specatcle.

i was not totally open minded no the same as im not with this but i gave it a chance and got sick of it i watched 45 minute BTW and a little bit just before it ended in the afternoon.

i saw nothing at night i was watching Strictly come Dancing :redneck:

just for a minute forget im a snooker fan .....would i watch it as a 1 off entertainment show ?

no i wouldn't because of what i stated there was far to many rules in it to be enjoyable maybe if they curtailed those it would be better and element of sense in what was they were trying to do.

Postby Witz78

Im 110% looking forward to this.

We get to see all of the top 64 in action over the weekend, whens the last time we saw so many different players, infact fair chance this will be the TV debut or the first appearance for many years in front of the cameras for a lot of these guys.

It promises to be a fun filled day of continuous baize drama and entertainment is assured with banter between the crowd and players letting personalities shine through we dont normally see.

Just relax and enjoy it as a bit of snooker fun.

Postby Witz78

Simple. Dont watch then!

Obvious your gonna hate it anyway going by the pessimism your showing towards it and any positive thoughts on it.

And the same goes for most of the rest of yous !!

Postby GJ

this should be really exciting the highlight of the snooker calendar

:wave: :)

rofl <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:Simple. Dont watch then!

Obvious your gonna hate it anyway going by the pessimism your showing towards it and any positive thoughts on it.

And the same goes for most of the rest of yous !!

If I do watch any of it, it will be with an open mind. I am just stating, by the sound of it, it seems to encompass things that I don't personally like and find boring in snooker. (Eg. Over the top razmatazz, shot clock snooker etc.) Like I say, I wasn't expecting to enjoy Power Snooker. I expected to have an opinion of it that made Wild look like a fan. However, I conceeded it 'wasn't too bad', albeit with room for serious improvement. I think it shows I am willing to admit things were different to what I expected. Maybe this is the same.

Like I say, doesn't sound like my sort of thing, but I may be wrong. And I wondered how the Island felt about this one, just out of curiousity.