Post a reply

Ding rejoins elite

Postby Bourne

Ding Junhui has won his 4th ranking title and his first since 2006 by taking the UK Championships in Telford.

He's long been underperforming in this sport, a player with incredible talent and natural flair, we always go back to the Masters final in 2007 when Ronnie O'Sullivan destroyed him on the table and mentally too. Since then, it's been a periof of rehabilitation, almost going out of the top 16 last season.

But this year, his fortunes have turned. Quarter-final in Shanghai was a bead of hope, but going 2-4 down against Stevens in the Grand Prix, one maybe thought that Shanghai was merely a blip in his 'normal' form which has seen him struggle for so long. But he fought back, and he fought all the way to the final there before losing to an in-form Robertson, and that gave real hope.

Winning a second UK title this week though, proves he's back for good. He looks a different player now, calm, controlled, it looks as though he's learnt a lot from all the negatives he's gone through in the last 2 and a half years and it's paying off.

All that's missing now is a world title, and who's to bet against him doing it in the next year or two ?

Re: Ding rejoins elite

Postby Alex0paul

I am pleased that he has gone ahead of Murphy in the greatest of all time list.

I think he will be the first challenger to Hendry's crown. To have had 150+ centuries already is outstanding considering he hadn't had to play in the hundreds of qualifers like O'Sullivan did in the early 90's.

Postby NedB-H

I want to wait and see if he and Robertson can keep it up. 18 months ago, O''Sullivan and Higgins were at the top, but at various points Murphy, Selby, Maguire and Fu were all playing almost as well. Will Ding or Robbo actually be genuine long-term contenders for the No 1 spot, or will they fade like those guys seem to be doing?

Postby Bourne

NedB-H wrote:I want to wait and see if he and Robertson can keep it up. 18 months ago, O''Sullivan and Higgins were at the top, but at various points Murphy, Selby, Maguire and Fu were all playing almost as well. Will Ding or Robbo actually be genuine long-term contenders for the No 1 spot, or will they fade like those guys seem to be doing?

Ding and Robertson are serial winners, unlike Selby and Fu. Almost perfect final conversion rates between them in finals (not both 100% because they met in 1). I'll be surprised if Fu hangs around at the very top much longer. Maguire is in a bit of a slump too.

Postby Bourne

John Higgins wrote:It's good to see Ding back, it was only a matter of time because he's that good a player. I'm sure he will win the World title, he's got the game for it and wins like this one will help him. I'd be flabbergasted if he finishes his career without winning it.

It's the worst shot I've ever missed [frame-ball brown in 15th frame] and that's what turned it. I don't think I'll have nightmares about it because it goes past that stage. I won't sleep tonight because of it. I missed three or four unforgivable balls in the last few frames.

It was a strange match, the balls went awkward. From 7-6 up I should have done better. Ding's safety was fantastic, whenever I had him in trouble, he put me back in it.

Ding Junhui wrote:I've had a long time without winning so I'm so happy, it's crazy. I've been working very hard this season, practising six or seven hours a day with no breaks. After my first match here, I had confidence and felt I could play better.

I know how to win and I've got more experience now against the top players. There was a lot of pressure at the end of last season because I nearly dropped out of the top 16, so I'm surprised to play well in the first three tournaments this season. I am still sometimes missing easy balls and my head is not good, so I must learnt to control myself.

I'm happy it's not just me [as a leading Chinese player] now. Liang works hard and he should be winning, so it's good to see him improve. It helps me push myself to win

Postby Roland

I loved Higgins response when asked about the brown - "Did I miss a brown?" <laugh>

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:I loved Higgins response when asked about the brown - "Did I miss a brown?" <laugh>

Yea if was funny. John was very relaxed about it in the end, I think he knew that Ding was the better player on the night

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:I loved Higgins response when asked about the brown - "Did I miss a brown?" <laugh>

True champions are measured as much in their victory as they are in the grace in defeat, he took it very well last night <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:

True champions are measured as much in their victory as they are in the grace in defeat, he took it very well last night <ok>

Apart from the rubbish he talks about moving the world championships to China, I've always liked John Higgins. <ok>

Postby Bourne

3rd major this week with a first Masters title at Wembley, banishing memories of 2007 to history :afro: At only 23 years of age, Ding is well on the way to becoming one of the greats of the game <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:3rd major this week with a first Masters title at Wembley, banishing memories of 2007 to history :afro: At only 23 years of age, Ding is well on the way to becoming one of the greats of the game <ok>

He's arguably a great already...

Postby Bourne

Yeh when you consider the fact he's the first of the Asian brigade, who had to deal with moving to a new culture/language etc for his life and to win so much already at this stage of his career, it's extremely impressive. I want him to get the Crucible monkey off his back so bad now.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:Yeh when you consider the fact he's the first of the Asian brigade, who had to deal with moving to a new culture/language etc for his life and to win so much already at this stage of his career, it's extremely impressive. I want him to get the Crucible monkey off his back so bad now.

I could see it happening this year :santa:

Postby Roland

Definitely. His game is now fully optimised. He was a bit raw as a teenager and he went through the bad patch where he seemed to doubt himself - kick started in the O'Sullivan Masters final and 2 defeats to Hendry in the Worlds and numerous losses to Murphy. But finally he's out the other side and looks like the finished article and he could well start to dominate now.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Well done to Ding. He was favourite (something to do with State Police perhaps) but played well and deserved to win. Changed days from his last Masters final. They were still shouting out, but this time he thought it was at Fu!

As for him not having a personality, who was the last joke-cracking Chinese comic you saw ? Benny Hill?

Postby Rocket_ron

wheelsofsteel wrote:Well done to Ding. He was favourite (something to do with State Police perhaps) but played well and deserved to win. Changed days from his last Masters final. They were still shouting out, but this time he thought it was at Fu!

As for him not having a personality, who was the last joke-cracking Chinese comic you saw ? Benny Hill?

i mean personality around the table not in interviews

Postby Smart

Feels like he has been around for ages, so he could really clean up ..............my bone on contention is that when he was asked about the Worlds last night he was pretty negative "oh its really tough" blah blah blah. His game is awesome but he has to find the formula over the long course. Last year he blitzed Pettman, then he could not back it up...........

I would like Ding to win in Sheffield based on how good he is, cos his breakbuilding is top notch. That safety last night on the pink will live long in the memory - classy as you like. <cool>

Postby Roland

Yeah watching live the Fu long red and snooker and how the frame ended it was clear immediately it was the best frame of the match. The snooker on the pink was perfect and you had to feel sorry for Fu after what went before but it turned the match on its head.

The other noticable thing with Ding was seeing how good his safety was against Cope. He had him on the rack and always kept the upper hand in safety and that's not something he was renowned for previously. That's what lead me to say he's pretty much the finished article now.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Yeah watching live the Fu long red and snooker and how the frame ended it was clear immediately it was the best frame of the match. The snooker on the pink was perfect and you had to feel sorry for Fu after what went before but it turned the match on its head.

The other noticable thing with Ding was seeing how good his safety was against Cope. He had him on the rack and always kept the upper hand in safety and that's not something he was renowned for previously. That's what lead me to say he's pretty much the finished article now.

That snooker on the pink was perfect to the very centimetre. The position of cue ball cut off the angle to the side cushion (right hand side) and the pink was enough away from the cushion in baulk that there was ample room to go round the back of it. Fu went straight in off.

There is something very special about snooker laying with just 2 balls left......................you get many attempts that are oh so close but fail, and then you get perfection. Last night we got perfection.

And yes it was a crippling blow for Fu, he was knocked sideways by it. :)

Postby Bourne

Someone said last night that he could have swerved to the left of the black but there was no way that was possible, he was far too close to it. To get it that good on the first attempt was just :bowdown:

Postby Smart

Bourne wrote:Someone said last night that he could have swerved to the left of the black but there was no way that was possible, he was far too close to it. To get it that good on the first attempt was just :bowdown:

you often only get 1 attempt to get it right as well :bowdown: