Post a reply

one year ranking list

Postby Rocket_ron

Current "one year ranking list" based on this seasons performances.

upto date after China open
Last edited by Rocket_ron on 04 Apr 2010, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Rolling ranks aka Very provisional

Postby Wildey

current top 32 rolling ranks makes Mark King 10th seifer just cant get rid of him <laugh>

Postby Alex0paul

Rolling rankings like that wouldn't work. How would you do it after the first event? Doherty would go from 44th (or whatever he was on last years one year list) to top 8.

Postby Rocket_ron

Alex0paul wrote:Rolling rankings like that wouldn't work. How would you do it after the first event? Doherty would go from 44th (or whatever he was on last years one year list) to top 8.

I understand your point there matey, Rolling ranks could be something introduced by barry hearn in the near future. well going from 44th to 8th adds to the excitment and forces other players to play high quality.
It has worked with Darts, Tennis and Golf

Postby Alex0paul

excellent_rocketron wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Rolling rankings like that wouldn't work. How would you do it after the first event? Doherty would go from 44th (or whatever he was on last years one year list) to top 8.

I understand your point there matey, Rolling ranks could be something introduced by barry hearn in the near future. well going from 44th to 8th adds to the excitment and forces other players to play high quality.

Tennis rankings are totally different. They continually get mentioned when arguing rolling rankings yet they could never work in snooker unless there were 20-30 ranking events a year.

Postby Rocket_ron

Alex0paul wrote:

Tennis rankings are totally different. They continually get mentioned when arguing rolling rankings yet they could never work in snooker unless there were 20-30 ranking events a year.

well 20+ ranking events is something Barry Hearn is sorting out.
Thanks for your input Alex

Postby GJ

im not the only one with a big interest in rankings

nice thread rocket ron <laugh>

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:The ranking event winners.

Why is O'Sullivan in a different colour?

a good question, i have checked the site and they have him black and everyone else green, i dont know the only thing i can think of is that he's the official world number 1

Postby Wildey

that rolling rankings couldn't be implemented until after the 2010 shanghai masters where points of the previous year is dropped off.

then Wenbo wouldn't be seeded so falsely <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:that rolling rankings couldn't be implemented until after the 2010 shanghai masters where points of the previous year is dropped off.

not following you wild?
the above table is based on this seasons performance. like in tennis they have the official rankings then they have a "tour race" think of this as a tour race.

Infact that would be a good tourney to finish the snooker season with...An event where the top 8 players would play in. as it stands Higgins,O'sullivan,ding,robertson,williams,maguire,wenbo,carter.

Postby Wildey

no in tennis its rolling rankings for example after Wimbledon the points gained at wimbledon 2009 is dropped off and taken over with points from wimbledon 2010.

for example if you win wimbledon in 2009 but lose first round in 2010 it will affect your ranking badly because you had winners points to defend.

Postby Casey

I think Alex is right, Doherty going from 44th to 8th just makes a mockery of the whole thing. Nice work though Rocket, however it couldn’t work within snookers current infrastructure

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:that rolling rankings couldn't be implemented until after the 2010 shanghai masters where points of the previous year is dropped off.

:huh:

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:no in tennis its rolling rankings for example after Wimbledon the points gained at wimbledon 2009 is dropped off and taken over with points from wimbledon 2010.

for example if you win wimbledon in 2009 but lose first round in 2010 it will affect your ranking badly because you had winners points to defend.

I'm gonna have to re-assess this, be back later

Re: one year ranking list

Postby Alex0paul

The only way snooker could copy tennis in terms of rankings would be to have 8 weeks each year where the rankings would be updated. Therefore your ranking tacks into everything you have done in the last 52 weeks at each point to give you your ranking. This would be a fairer way to do it rather than a one year list because of the way tournaments can be scrapped or added to the calendar.

I don't have a problem with the rankings they are except that the new players should get double points instead of starter points. Plus the points for reaching later stages could be higher.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:no in tennis its rolling rankings for example after Wimbledon the points gained at wimbledon 2009 is dropped off and taken over with points from wimbledon 2010.

I'm gonna have to re-assess this, be back later

I've decided to cancel to idea of a rolling rank system. I would like the idea of this thread as one year list, viewed like a "tour Race" like in tennis. where at the end of the season the top 8 would play in a end of season play-off (like the APT masters final in tennis)

Postby Wildey

they did do a race thing about 5 years ago called "The LG Order of Merit" with the winner awarded a trophy i think im right Paul Hunter won it.

im against a 1 season Ranking for the simple fact last season around this time Steve Davis had a blinder and was rank as high as 8th however this season he is down at almost 50 because he is having a stinker .

at the moment because of so little tournaments making a rolling ranking work would be hard you need a minimum of 10 tournaments and that number is never dropped below.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:they did do a race thing about 5 years ago called "The LG Order of Merit" with the winner awarded a trophy i think im right Paul Hunter won it.

im against a 1 season Ranking for the simple fact last season around this time Steve Davis had a blinder and was rank as high as 8th however this season he is down at almost 50 because he is having a stinker .

at the moment because of so little tournaments making a rolling ranking work would be hard you need a minimum of 10 tournaments and that number is never dropped below.

I wish the did the "LG Order of Merit" again that would be great :excited:
Thanks for your input wild <ok>

Postby Wildey

Hendry will be ahead of Wenbo at the end of this season unless he can put out Ronnie that is.

look where SMURPH is.

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:I think Alex is right, Doherty going from 44th to 8th just makes a mockery of the whole thing. Nice work though Rocket, however it couldn’t work within snookers current infrastructure

there would be instances like this in the changeover period from the current 2 year ranking system to rolling rankings but once the rankings were changed over that would be it and every player would soon find their level.

If rolling rankings were in place already, Doherty would have slowly climbed the rankings this season anyway isntead of the current system where you have to wait until the end of the season to be rewarded or punished for your overall form for the season, where you can indeed still jump a lot of places up or down in the rankings.

Anyone who says that due to the lack of tournaments in snooker, rolling rankings wouldnt work is talking nonsense frankly. Yes a 1 year rolling ranking system wouldnt work at the moment, hopefully in time if Hearn sorts things out, but a 2 year rolling ranking is definetly the way to go from next season.

Got to be better to have the 2 year results the rankings are based on to the be the most recent 2 years of results rather than the current position as of now where none of the results in the last 11 months are counting for anything....yet!!

It could be brought in straight away at the start of next season without any real difference actually as straight after the first tournament the rankings are updated then the qualification / automatic qualifiers are determined for the 2nd tournament. <ok>