Post a reply

Hendry back with his old coach.....who is it?

Postby Sickpotter

So I heard mention that Hendry recently went back to see one of his old coaches but I have no idea who it is.

I'm praying it's Frank Callan :mosh2: , but don't know. :huh2:

Anyone have any info. about it?

Thanks.

Re: Hendry back with his old coach.....who is it?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I don't, but I remember a story I was told my Lawrie Annadale, (remember him?) who also worked with Stephen Hendry. One of the jobs Lawrie used to do, was to look after Stephen's tip, so I got him doing mine for a while. Frank Callan was let go around '92 ish by Stephen & I asked Lawrie why? The response I got was "How do you tell the best player ever to pick up a cue where he is going wrong?"

Postby Sickpotter

Chris Henry? WTH? Is there something wrong with Callan these days? Did he pass on or quit coaching?

This guy has coached all the WCs in the modern era and I think most of them played their very best under his guidance so why are we not hearing anything from him? Why wouldn't Hendry go back to the coach he had while he was at his best?

Postby gallantrabbit

Callan must have been in his sixties when he was helping Mountjoy so I don't think Hendry would get much out of him now.
Hendry may have technical problems, the yips etc, but I think a major part of his problem is how he thinks about the game.
For me this is a non technical 5 point plan.
1. He should cut his practice to 3 hours per day particularly if he still does his work alone.
2. Invite more pros to play him, to bring a little fun back in.
3. Play more hit and run and wait for the confidence to seep back.
4. Gradually gain confidence.
5. Start winning matches, whether in the WC or PTCs Hendry needs to start winning snooker matches to help him stay in the top 16 where he should be for another 3/4 years.
PS from point 3 ditto Jimmy White except instead of top 16 should be top 32.

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I don't, but I remember a story I was told my Lawrie Annadale, (remember him?) who also worked with Stephen Hendry. One of the jobs Lawrie used to do, was to look after Stephen's tip, so I got him doing mine for a while. Frank Callan was let go around '92 ish by Stephen & I asked Lawrie why? The response I got was "How do you tell the best player ever to pick up a cue where he is going wrong?"

back in 1992 that was right how can you teach the greatest how to play.

But Robbo observation of Hendrys Game was Spot on yesterday his Cue Action is so different to how it used to be more Mechanical that it used to be when he was all Conquering.....Stephen had a Flair Cue Action very Fluent but its not any more its Deliberate very similar to Anthony Hamilton or Alan Mcmanus.

Postby Monique

Sickpotter wrote:Without a doubt his cue action is a big issue.

From what I saw his timing looked very off, like he was trying to force a rythm that he wasn't feeling naturally.

That's exactly what he is doing. Already a couple of years ago Hendry complained that his eyesight had changed. Not that it wasn't sharp enough anymore but that his "time to focus" had increased significantly. This is a problem because it forces him to lengthen his "transfer" time and that knocks him off his rythm.
Hendry has worked with Chris Henry before and, yes, he's back with him. So you'd reckon he is feeling that Chris has helped him in the past. BTW Chris also works with Luca Brecel occasionally.
Last edited by Monique on 13 Jan 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sickpotter

I'm very sympathetic to Hendry's plight, it's something that I've been trying to deal with for several years now.

The only time I seem to get beyond it is when I just ignore the slight adjustments I believe are required and just trust the initial alignment of the shot.

It's absolutely horrible from a confidence standpoint because that transfer from cueball to object ball is an ingrained alignment/sighting check that USED TO allow you to feel you've got everything right. Now it just makes you second guess your alignment/aim. :wild2:

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I heard it's National Express.

<laugh> :wave:
thats quite a decent effort <laugh>

Which is more then can be said about Hendry's recent attempts at winning.......

Okay, sorry I should have quit whilst I was ahead. <laugh>