Post a reply

BBC extends snooker coverage deal for three more years

Postby Bourne

BBC Sport wrote:The BBC has signed a new deal to screen the World and UK championships, Masters and Welsh Open until the end of the 2013/2014 snooker season.

The contract extends the BBC's deal with World Snooker by three years.

"We are absolutely thrilled to extend our partnership with the BBC for a further three years," said World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn.

"The deal strengthens our foundations and allows us to keep pushing forward with the sport's new era."

Australian Neil Robertson is the current world champion after he beat Graeme Dott in the 2010 final and Hearn cited that tournament's viewing figures as evidence of snooker's public appeal.

"Last year the World Championship reached 18.7 million people across the tournament, showing there is a big appetite for the sport," he added.

"The World Championship, which has been extensively covered by the BBC every year since 1978, as well as the Masters, the UK Championship and the Welsh Open, has become part of the sporting fabric of the nation.

"These events are among the jewels in the crown of the sporting calendar and it is fantastic that they are to remain on the BBC."

Seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry added: "Ever since I've played snooker, the BBC has been the main broadcaster for our sport. The biggest tournaments belong on the BBC so it's excellent news that we've extended the deal."

BBC director of sport Barbara Slater said: "We're delighted to have renewed our partnership with World Snooker.

"The BBC has a proud history of coverage of top-class snooker and we're looking forward to continuing to bring the highest quality coverage to our audiences."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 359219.stm

Very disappointed they didn't seal a deal to show the World Open again but this is still a good thing to see, I wouldn't have much fancied seeing ITV bid for these tournaments and make a complete mess of it.

Re: BBC extends snooker coverage deal for three more years

Postby Roland

It's silly but it feels like a stay of execution. If it was 5 years I would be more relaxed. The next question is - will the UK return to York and will the formats of the big 3 remain as they are?

Postby gallantrabbit

Sonny wrote:It's silly but it feels like a stay of execution. If it was 5 years I would be more relaxed. The next question is - will the UK return to York and will the formats of the big 3 remain as they are?

3 years is ok. Don't they negotiate the football contract every year? I know it's a different kettle of fish, but three years is ok in the current climate. Think positive. Maybe Hearn only wanted 3 years by that time snooker will be so big that the WSA will be holding out for 5 times the money?

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:It's silly but it feels like a stay of execution. If it was 5 years I would be more relaxed. The next question is - will the UK return to York and will the formats of the big 3 remain as they are?

buck York give it to Preston or better still Reading. :ahh:

Postby Wildey

believe me with todays climate 3 years contract is massive with all the cut backs recently <ok>

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:

believe me with todays climate 3 years contract is massive with all the cut backs recently <ok>

spot on <cool>

Postby Wildey

regarding the UK if its York or Preston i think we all agree Telford is just the wrong venue for the UK Championship.

having been to preston 5 or 6 times its in a ideal spot for a snooker tournament having been to Telford 3 times its not <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
Smart wrote:Reading (M4) :ahh:

Reading (Bobby Georges autobiography <ok> )

I can only imagine that would be a high class piece of literature. How many times does he say luvverly jubbly in the preface alone?

Postby Smart

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Smart wrote:Reading (M4) :ahh:

Reading (Bobby Georges autobiography <ok> )

I can only imagine that would be a high class piece of literature. How many times does he say luvverly jubbly in the preface alone?

<laugh>

he is thicker in person than he is in black and white <laugh>