Post a reply

Ronnie O'Sullivan: my take on the man

Postby Tubberlad

I've said umpteen times that I believe Stephen Hendry to be the greatest player of all time. He's so far ahead of anyone else in terms of titles won that I can't help but hold that opinion...the titles weren't handed to him. However, do I believe he's the most naturally gifted player of all time? No. Do I believe that his best is as good as a certain Ronnie O'Sullivan's best? Absolutely not. I mean absolutely no disrespect to the great one, but he's trounced in these departments by 'The Rocket'.

Ronnie O'Sullivan seems to be completely disreguarded by many boards, and in some ways, they've got a point. I'm not going to stick up for his behaviour. He assaulted Mike Ganley. He made some horrible comments about Stephen Hendry that were entirely unwarranted. He failed a drugs test after the 1998 Irish Masters final. He conceded his UK Quarter-final with Hendry after 5 frames. He made every effort to ruin snooker's boom in China with THAT press conference. And he really struggles to admit when he's been beaten on the day by a better player, far too quick to say things like 'I don't care' and 'I wasn't up for it'. The myth that 'Only Ronnie can beat himself' is entirely untrue. John Higgins has beaten him playing well. Mark Williams has. Steve Davis did so in the 1997 Masters final. Hendry walloped him in 1999 and 2002 when Ronnie was clearly playing very well. And Paul Hunter beat Ronnie in brilliant form at the 2004 Masters final. So no, he can be beaten fair and square.

But I'm not here to talk about the negatives. Whatever his behaviour is like off the table, and at times on the table, I think that Ronnie deserves an awful lot of respect, even if it's just for his quality of play. The guy hasn't had it easy. His Dad's in jail. His mother's been in jail. He's suffered from drug problems and severe depression. And yet, in spite of all this, he has won 3 World Titles, 4 Masters, 4 UK Titles, 22 ranking events and been World Number One on many occasions, including now. Some people point to his Prozac use, in particular to his 2001 World title, but it's an argument I'm really not comfortable with. I'm surprised that Clive Everton questioned it, as he's arguably the most knowledgable and one of the most likeable men in snooker, as I dont agree with him at all. Everton has suffered from depression, but from what I've heard not to the same extent as Ronnie. My question is, would you deny someone with a broken arm a sling? Of course not. Would you deny someone with clinical depression Prozac? You should not.

Ronnie's the third genius we've been blessed with in this game, and I've no doubt he's the best of the three (Alex and Jimmy being the other two). Watch his 128 break against Nigel Bond at the 1996 Masters. Total genius, not even looking at really difficult shots. Think back to his best displays. In 1993 he beat Stephen Hendry at the peak of his powers 10-6 in the UK Final. In 1997 he notched up a 147 break in record time. In 2001 he destroyed most of the opposition to take the World Title. In 2004 he beat Hendry 17-4 in one of the greatest snooker demolitions of all time. In 2005 he slaughtered the ultra-tough John Higgins 10-3 in the Masters final. In 2007 he did the same to Ding. While at the 2008 Worlds, he again humiliated Hendry 17-6, with the 2nd session of that game ranking as the greatest display ever seen in my opinion.

He's had some embarassing losses, but so has Hendry, so has White, so has Higgins, Davis and Williams. It's happened all the greats.

Now, I'm not asking anyone to love Ronnie O'Sullivan, I wouldn't say I'm his number one fan myself. But in years to come, when O'Sullivan's career and maybe even his life ends, I think we should be honoured to tell our children and grandchildren that 'we saw Ronnie O'Sullivan play'. We should enjoy the show while it lasts. Because you only appreciate what you've got when it's gone.

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan: my take on the man

Postby Roland

I haven't got time to give my opinion on the great ROS but I do feel that failing a drugs test for cannabis is nothing at all and shouldn't even have been tested for so his victory in that event still stands for me. And the comments directed at Hendry (sad little life) were caused by that pin end Prince Naseem Hamed who was hanging around with Ronnie at that time and I'm utterly convinced he was behind that mindset and Ronnie was out to impress him so I don't blame him for those comments at all. And the China press conference was hilarious although it showed his ignorance in dealing with the world outside London and also showed a deep lack of respect to the Chinese, but it was a storm in a teacup. Saying all that, it can be very annoying listening to him at times because he acts like a spoilt kid who gets away with it because he is who he is.

But O'Sullivan at his best is the best there's ever been and there is no arguement about it as far as I'm concerned.

Postby Wildey

i dont blame prince nassem or Ronnie for thoes coments at the end of the day its banter and hendry rammed them down his neck with a extended spider anyway :D <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

rofl he certainly did. That was a great match, one of the best I've ever seen. Hendry was like a man posessed in that final session, definitely the best snooker I've seen from him. :huh: I dunno how he didn't beat Ebdon after a performance like that, was a bit of a letdown.

Postby Wildey

dont want to take this off topic and sorry if i do but i think hendry got cocky thinking it was in the bag against Ebdon and the first day of that final he did extreamly well to be only 10-6 behind because he wasent at the races at all. 4-0 down he pulled it back to 4-4 i thought he will go in overdrive in the second session. at night he was even worst. as a fan i was gutted how he played that day.

in fact i think it was in 1999 where the infamous line happened where ronnie was going to send him back to his sad little life and not 2002 ?

Postby Roland

Was definitely 2002 because prior to the semi it looked odds on O'Sullivan to take the title but his mouth spurred Hendry on to play as good as he had for years and reach the final somewhat unexpectedly. Hendry wouldn't have taken Ebdon lightly but he played as he had been doing for a couple of years up to that point i.e. missing balls he would never miss in his prime (mostly difficult ones), and that's why Ebdon stood a chance. Ebdon still had to play incredibly well to beat him mind you.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Was definitely 2002 because prior to the semi it looked odds on O'Sullivan to take the title but his mouth spurred Hendry on to play as good as he had for years and reach the final somewhat unexpectedly. Hendry wouldn't have taken Ebdon lightly but he played as he had been doing for a couple of years up to that point i.e. missing balls he would never miss in his prime (mostly difficult ones), and that's why Ebdon stood a chance. Ebdon still had to play incredibly well to beat him mind you.

I think he did take Peter lightly, no doubt he will seriously regret this when he looks back on his career -

"In a remarkable show of candour yesterday, Hendry confided the reason for his downfall. "I didn't think Peter could beat me. Simple as that. I didn't think he was good enough over 35 frames. I did not go into the match with the right attitude.

"That is a terrible attitude to take into the final of the World Championships. But having beaten Ronnie [O'Sullivan] in the semi, I thought I just had to turn up at the final to win. At times I wasn't even there. Even when it got to 17-17, I still thought I was going to win. When I didn't I was shocked. It was a painful mistake to make. It only makes me more determined not to do it again."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 94581.html

Paragraphs 7 & 8

Postby Tubberlad

I think that's a real pity, cos he should have won that World Championship, have no doubt.
If I had the power, and the best player won each year, then the winner's list would look something more like this:

Steve Davis: 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989
Stephen Hendry: 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2002
Ronnie O'Sullivan: 2001, 2004, 2006, 2008
John Higgins: 1998, 2007, 2009
Alex Higgins: 1972, 1980, 1982
Mark Williams: 2000, 2003
Jimmy White: 1992, 1994
Matthew Stevens: 2005
John Parrott: 1991
Joe Johnson: 1986

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad

thats why most of seifers stats are pointless neither Jimmy White or Mathew Stevens made it World champion because theres more to being champion than statistics..champions have heart something you cant put stats to.

Postby Tubberlad

Was just having a bit of speculation there Siefer. The world would have been a much happier place if I was in charge <laugh> Jimmy double World Champ, Stevens a World Champ and Murphy still on a duck.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Was just having a bit of speculation there Siefer. The world would have been a much happier place if I was in charge <laugh> Jimmy double World Champ, Stevens a World Champ and Murphy still on a duck.

rofl

it is interesting thoes lists you put up and they are very accurate so when all said and done Shaun Murphy with only 3 Ranking titles is a massive underachiever when you made it out Stevens should have won the WC.

Postby Tubberlad

Oh, and Stevens SHOULD have won that WC, I was convinced he had it won, at 7-3 I thought he'd hammer Murphy, around 18-12. So the fact he lost tore me apart, cause I'm a huge fan of Matthew.

Postby Wildey

taking nothing away from Mark Williams but shouldnt Stevens have won in 2000 aswell he was 13-7 up on Williams.

Postby Tubberlad

Well, I just think Williams deserved it more that year, and from 13-7 played some fantastic stuff. I think he did deserve that title, and was too good to finish on one world title. One would have been about right for Stevens, and 2005 was his chance.

Postby Wildey

i was thinking that myself

its almost unthinkable that williams only reached one final after his 2003 WC Win and what a player he was from about 1998 to 2003 .

Postby Tubberlad

I was actually devestated after that final against Murphy, I don't think Shaun is as good as Matthew was, and certainly not as nice a guy.

Williams made just two ranking finals after winning the 2003 World, the LG Cup in 2003 and the China Open in 2006. Although he won both, he still underachieved massively, but in fairness he put his family first, and fair play to him for that <ok> But yeah, superb player, best potter of all-time.

Postby Seifer Almasy

thetubberlad wrote:Was just having a bit of speculation there Siefer. The world would have been a much happier place if I was in charge <laugh> Jimmy double World Champ, Stevens a World Champ and Murphy still on a duck.

:bum: