Topic locked

What is Mark Selby's chances of winning?

Postby SnookerFan

Mark Selby is the defending champion in The Masters. He's come out before the tournament as saying he wants to emulate the achievement of the late Paul Hunter, by winning three out of four Masters tournaments in a row. To do this, he has to get through the two other players that I reckon are the strong favourites for the tournament. Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins. (See previous threads.) But Mark Selby has as an excellent record at the Masters. Played 12, won 11. It's pretty impressive. Especially when in last years final he beat Ronnie, who makes The Masters his lovely lady.

Can Selby make it four in a row, in a tournament he seems to love to play in. He has Mark King in his first round. Not the toughest opponent he could draw in an elite field like The Masters, especially with no wildcards.

What are the odds of another Mark Selby vs Ronnie O'Sullivan final? And what is the chances of Mark Selby being crowned Master's champion?

Re: What is Mark Selby's chances of winning?

Postby Tubberlad

I think O'Sullivan is always the man to beat at Wembley, even though I feel he's very much in decline. I think Selby has an excellent chance though...

Postby Witz78

Ronnie has 6 finals in the last 7 years so theres no denying this is his event.

Paul Hunter only achieved what Thorburn had done in the 80s before him (83,85,86) and then Hendry even more so with 5 in a row in the first half of the 90s.

Successive Masters Finals

HENDRY 6 (89-94)

ALEX 4 (78-81)
RONNIE 4 (04-07)

RONNIE 3 (95-97)
SELBY 3 (08-10)
GRIFFITHS 3 (80-82)
REARDON 3 (75-77)

Postby Casey

Well he came into the tournament last year on an even worse season so I wouldn't rule him out.

Its the Masters so Ronnie will be the favourite of course, its the only tournament he is favourite in anymore so it will be interesting to see how he plays.

I think there is a strong possibility that it could be another Ronnie v Selby final.

Postby Witz78

HugoDrax wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
randam05 wrote:Selby will win it, its the only tournament he can win sadly.

:john:

<laugh> :wave:
(he cheated with slow play in that one) <ok>

Just like he also did in the 2010 WC QF and the 2010 Masters final <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

Witz78 wrote:
HugoDrax wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Nah, O'Sullivan cheated with fast play

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
HugoDrax wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

ebdon showed him the way to buck up ronnie and he did it beautifully <ok>

Postby Roland

I think snooker deserves the final part in the trilogy of Selby v Ronnie Masters finals. Now there's a DVD boxset to keep forever!

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I think snooker deserves the final part in the trilogy of Selby v Ronnie Masters finals. Now there's a DVD boxset to keep forever!

I'd prefer a Mark Selby vs Stephen Lee rematch. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

LeBourne wrote:I'd have Mark 3rd favourite. Definitely can win it, he's proven that.

So, who are your first two favourites? I assume one of them is Ronnie? I have Selby/Ronnie as joint first, with Higgins narrowly edging Williams as third favourite.

Postby excalibur

In terminator his chances come out as : 0.0. Slow, boring, waits for opponent to make mistakes from endless safety rather than taking initiative. Gonna be good watching oneballs misery every single year he loses.

O and I am talkin about the worlds btw.

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
LeBourne wrote:I'd have Mark 3rd favourite. Definitely can win it, he's proven that.

So, who are your first two favourites? I assume one of them is Ronnie? I have Selby/Ronnie as joint first, with Higgins narrowly edging Williams as third favourite.

O'Sullivan > Robertson > Selby > Higgins

IMVHO.