Post a reply

Steve Davis record at The Masters

Postby SnookerFan

I was too young to remember Steve Davis in his prime. Unfortunately. But it seems odd to me that in the 1980s he only appeared in the final of The Masters twice. Obviously in 1997, he got to the final and beat Ronnie, making his Masters tally seem somewhat more impressive.

Anybody out there, older then me, remember Steve in his prime? Did it seem odd at the time that he had only won it twice? He won it in 1982, then wasn't in a final again until 1988. Did it seem odd that somebody who was winning the World Title so often, and was the runner up in the years that he didn't win it, wasn't getting to the business end of the Masters? Or was it just seen as one of those things. Was there any reasons for this, do people think? Did he just not like playing at the venue?

Discuss.

Re: Steve Davis record at The Masters

Postby Witz78

Im wondering whether the more patriotic crowd there got to him a bit?

On the contrary Alex produced some of his best form there reaching the final 5 times.

Intersting though that Jimmy only made the final twice though, despite the massive support he received there and not once during his early to mid 90s prime.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:Im wondering whether the more patriotic crowd there got to him a bit?

On the contrary Alex produced some of his best form there reaching the final 5 times.

Intersting though that Jimmy only made the final twice though, despite the massive support he received there and not once during his early to mid 90s prime.

I think Jimmy was a player who let the love of the crowd pressurise him a bit. People were always telling him how much they loved him, and asking if he was going to win the World Championship this year... I feel it was something that distracted him a bit.

Postby Casey

The Masters is an event that either the players like or not, little middle ground really.

Higgins has won it twice but lost in the 1st round 9 times
Ebodn has admitted its not really one of his favourite tournaments, he has never reached the final.
Others like Hendry, Ronnie, Hunter and Selby obviously thought different and have fared better in comparison with their talent.

Postby SnookerFan

JR did it! wrote:The Masters is an event that either the players like or not, little middle ground really.

Higgins has won it twice but lost in the 1st round 9 times
Ebodn has admitted its not really one of his favourite tournaments, he has never reached the final.
Others like Hendry, Ronnie, Hunter and Selby obviously thought different and have fared better in comparison with their talent.

I must say, as a spectator who buys tickets, it's one of my least favourite. And one I wouldn't go to if it wasn't my 'local' tournament. The atmosphere there is just people shouting, without there being any real excitement about watching snooker. Compare it to The Crucible where the atmosphere is perfect.

But there are some people that would probably prefer loud noise every time anything happens, to revered silence, applause and love for snooker. Maybe that is the sort of player that thrives there. Mark Selby is, and Paul Hunter was, a player who seemed to thrive there more then in ranking events.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I was too young to remember Steve Davis in his prime. Unfortunately. But it seems odd to me that in the 1980s he only appeared in the final of The Masters twice. Obviously in 1997, he got to the final and beat Ronnie, making his Masters tally seem somewhat more impressive.

Anybody out there, older then me, remember Steve in his prime? Did it seem odd at the time that he had only won it twice? He won it in 1982, then wasn't in a final again until 1988. Did it seem odd that somebody who was winning the World Title so often, and was the runner up in the years that he didn't win it, wasn't getting to the business end of the Masters? Or was it just seen as one of those things. Was there any reasons for this, do people think? Did he just not like playing at the venue?

Discuss.

in the 80s there was a big deal done about Steve being rubbish in the masters with him being a londoner.

as a fan in the 80s i consoled myself that no matter how good he was and irratating the rubbish out of me when it came to the masters old ginge was rubbish and someone else was going to win it.

Postby PLtheRef

Well it seems strange that during an era where he was dominating so much - especially when he started accumulating the UKs as well as the Worlds that he always seemed to struggle at the Masters, and that ironically, the years he won the event, he didnt go on to win either both of the other 2 majors (1982) or the UK (1988).

Steve was in an era when he was the unpopular winner and people would tune in to see whether he would get beat, and that they'd rather see someone else be able to lift the trophy - the same happening to Thorburn when he was on for 4 Masters titles in the 1987 tournament. Coupled with this, the Masters is a lively atmosphere to say the least, some of the players there will command strong local support and others will be popular with the snooker public. Looking at Steves record between 1982-89, he lost to Mountjoy twice (one of the most popular names in the 80s), Higgins (peoples champion), Stevens (growing in popularity) and White (the localboy) - all of these players commanded the crowd support at the tournament.

Steve's Masters record for his domination period

1982 WON 9-6 v Terry Griffiths
1983 QF lost 5-4 to Mountjoy
1984 QF lost 5-3 to Stevens
1985 Rd1 lost 5-4 to Higgins
1986 SF lost 6-3 to White
1987 Rd1 lost 5-2 to Mountjoy
1988 WON 9-0 against Hallett
1989 SF lost 6-3 to Hendry

Fast forward to the 1997 edition when Steve is nearly 40, and has been away from the top spots for years the crowd wants him to do well and cheer him on - hence why his 2005 Masters win over Hunter in the first round was so popularly received, obviously thats before the tragic events of the following 20 months or so.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:Wild,

How come Hendrys been away from the top spots for years yet the crowd don't want him to do well or cheer him on..................

I would say they do. Hendry has turned lots of haters into fans and he even recognises that himself. He said that he would rather go back to being a winner and unpopular than popular and not winning.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Wild,

How come Hendrys been away from the top spots for years yet the crowd dont want him to do well or cheer him on..................

as case said you just blind <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

The main difference between Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry is that Steve has let his personality show a lot more then Hendry has. Hendry still wants to win, and wants to be one of the world's best. Davis is just happy to compete, and still be there. And has a joke around the arena with people. Hendry doesn't really, so Steve's fan-base is a bit larger, I'd suggest.

I was at Telford in 2009 when Stephen Hendry played Steve Davis. I tell you what, the atmosphere then was something special. Watching two legends of the game, that haven't played that much since the early 1990s. If anything the atmosphere for that was better then Hendry vs White, I must say. A true, true honour to be there.

Postby Roland

I absolutely love The Masters and I'm very excited about going to see the semis and final this year because it'll be my first time.

There have been so many memories and great matches down the years. Off the top of my head you have White v Stevens with the 147, Hallett beating Parrott after needing snookers in the decider in the semi (Parrott punched the air when he thought he'd won) and then being whitewashed in the final, Hallett then losing from 7-0 and 8-2 to Hendry which unfortunately he'll always be remembered for but really it was a demonstration of Hendry's dominance. Then you have Williams beating Hendry on the final black, Hunter and his comebacks against O'Brien, O'Sullivan and Williams, and Selby and his run of mini-comebacks to win his first, those two finals against Ronnie (all time classics), McManus ending the dominance of Hendry - I think he was the first player to beat him in the Masters and it took a last frame decider to do it. Ding's 147 and then tears in the final, Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan clashes which always had a great atmosphere and Jimmy beat him in 2001 before losing to Hendry, Steve Davis beating Ronnie with the stripper in the final, Higgins v O'Sullivan in 2006... and I know I've missed loads.

Postby footygirl

I have to pick Steve's comeback against Ronnie to win in 1997. A magical final, it had everything, the Rocket streaking into a lead- cue the streaker who reduced evryone to giggles and that maybe helped Steve to regroup. They ended the session locked a 4-4. But no one was prepared for the evening's drama. Ronnie led 8-4 and it looked as though he was after an early night. But Steve hadn't read the script. As he started to pull the frames back I said to my Dad, whith whom I was watching He couldn't pull this off could he. My Mum isn't a great snooker fan but she was hooked- and supporting Steve. As it went 8-8 my brother looked at me and said - Don't start screaming when he wins. My Dad looked at Ronnie and said"he's gone" - and as Steve moved 9-8 in front I was starrting to shake my head in disbelief. My mum was still watching - and witnessed some character in the audience bellow"What did you have for breakfast Stevie" as Steve was lining up a difficult pot that normally would require a rest. My Mum couldn't believe the idiot who shouted that out. And slowly but surely Steve inched his way to the title. As Ronnie sat in his chair as Steve was completing victory I was in tears. I had witnessed an amazing comeback. And the reception that Steve got was no more than he deserved. A legendary champion, for me remains the greatest of all time.

Postby Tubberlad

Hunter's win in 2004 against O'Sullivan... he was out of this world from 7-2 down. O'Sullivan had been playing a blinder, and did little wrong in truth, but it was Hunter's finest moment without doubt.

Quite poignant looking back now though...

Postby Roland

footygirl wrote:I have to pick Steve's comeback against Ronnie to win in 1997.

Now there's a surprise <laugh>

Postby footygirl

Sonny wrote:
footygirl wrote:I have to pick Steve's comeback against Ronnie to win in 1997.

Now there's a surprise <laugh>

It just had everything - a player many thought would never win a big title again, defying the odds once again and seeing it come full circle for him - going from the panto villian (because he was such a regular winner of titles) to being the one who had become the sentimental favourite. Sport is usually cruel - seldom kind. But sometimes you do get a sweet, emotional conclusion

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I'm glad I'm not old enough to remember the 1991 Final, being a big ABH during the 90's I not sure if I could have took that evening session.

Davis won the Irish Masters eight times which was a record for most times someone won the same title until Ronnie broke it in the PL recently, so his failure to dominate the Masters isn't because he saw it as an exhibition. It's funny that the one event he didn't dominate during the 80's was the only one he won after he dropped back from the elite around 1995.