Topic locked

What is John Higgins' chances of winning?

Postby SnookerFan

Since coming back, Honest John has won all but one of his games. Two of those tournaments, obviously, were PTCs, but I think it's true to say that he is a man on a mission to make up for lost time. His hunger does seem to burn bright.

Personally, I don't think he missed much with a few PTCs and the shitty World Open, but the way he won the UK, with his never give up attitude in the final is impressive. Will he continue this form? The Masters has traditionally been Ronnie's tournament, but with his mind on other things, how will he react to this tournament? They can't meet until the final. I think a Masters final vs Ronnie, and John will be chomping at the bit to go. But he'd have to get past Selby in the semis.

With Graeme Dott in the first round, and Mark Williams or Ding Junhui in the second how do people rate John's chances of winning this tournament?

Re: What is John Higgins' chances of winning?

Postby Tubberlad

It's not really his tournament S/Fan... as Case quite correctly pointed out, his record is pretty poor in spite of being a four time finalist.

Not that I'd write him off...

Postby SnookerFan

JR did it! wrote:At the Masters? Not much, despite being a 2 time winner John has lost in the first round 9 times!

This is a good point. Though, I wouldn't write him off in the form he is in. If anybody doesn't get hindered by demons, it's Higgins. Especially now, when he seems to have his hunger back. So it's not like it's a venue he's had no success at ever, remember his match against Ronnie?

I hope he gets through to the second round, for once. Higgins vs Williams in round 2 would be immense.

Postby Bourne

I might be nit-picking but perhaps the month-long break after the UK won't have helped him and he'll have lost a bit of that momentum he'd built up, but I think he's proved to us enough times before never to rule him out. I fancy someone outside the 'big 4' myself.

Postby SnookerFan

LeBourne wrote:I might be nit-picking but perhaps the month-long break after the UK won't have helped him and he'll have lost a bit of that momentum he'd built up, but I think he's proved to us enough times before never to rule him out. I fancy someone outside the 'big 4' myself.

Mark King's time to shine. :wave:

Postby PLtheRef

Interesting question this, first thought was no, as it was going to be a succession of tough draws for Higgins, and that this is the top 16 seeds competing rather than anyone else - but then when you look at who he faced in the UK Championship. You can only say he is match sharp and that there isnt really any reason why he shouldnt do very well. He has a mental edge over both of his likely first two opponents in the wins at the UK.

Looking at the draw he should do okay, but I'm going to say Semi-final

Postby Wildey

WHO KNOWS

form swings in roundabouts although he won in telford he blew nobody away so next time someone else might win those crucial frames and put John away.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:WHO KNOWS

form swings in roundabouts although he won in telford he blew nobody away so next time someone else might win those crucial frames and put John away.

Thanks Wild. :wave: We can always count on you.

Postby SnookerFan

HugoDrax wrote:Here's hoping he gets a hostile reception from the Cockney faithful. :D

I imagine he will. The Wembley fans take any opportunity to make noise. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with it, because it wasn't really there at Telford. Personally, I don't think he will Ding it. But it will definately be interesting to see.