Post a reply

Welsh Open

Postby SnookerFan

I am trying to decide whether to get tickets for the Welsh Open first round matches, or not. What does everybody else think?

Re: Welsh Open

Postby jadechelsea

SnookerFan wrote:I am trying to decide whether to get tickets for the Welsh Open first round matches, or not. What does everybody else think?

i would say the first round or second round are good because you get to meat a lot of the players but i have only been to the first and second :)

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, first rounds are good. Not sure about the best of 7 formats though. :sad:

Postby Tubberlad

The format change to the Welsh was a bit ridiculous. Something like having no mid-session intervals does not craft an identity... bit disappointed that a bit more originality wasn't used.

Postby SnookerFan

TPtheirishstud wrote:The format change to the Welsh was a bit ridiculous. Something like having no mid-session intervals does not craft an identity... bit disappointed that a bit more originality wasn't used.

I think the Welsh Open was spot on when it came to format, it just didn't lend itself to television very well. Roll On Roll Off worked well with best of 9s, and I personally think the challenge was to make it appeal televisually more then anything else.

Shortening the format isn't going to bring in new fans. But it will annoy certain existing fans. So what good really comes of it? :huh: It's the one thing that's really turning me off travelling to Wales to see, but I am thinking of going anyway, to be honest.

Postby Monique

Showing more matches on telly WILL bring new fans and/or more fans to watch and if the price for that is best of 7 rather than best of 9 in the early stages I'm all for it. After all the shortening is only in rounds 1 and 2.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:Showing more matches on telly WILL bring new fans and/or more fans to watch and if the price for that is best of 7 rather than best of 9 in the early stages I'm all for it. After all the shortening is only in rounds 1 and 2.

For now.

Postby SnookerFan

I really want to go to this, not sure I got the holiday time. If I book Monday-Thursday off, I will then have three spare days to use by the end of March, just in case anything goes wrong.

Do I or don't I bite the bullet? :huh2:

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:I really want to go to this, not sure I got the holiday time. If I book Monday-Thursday off, I will then have three spare days to use by the end of March, just in case anything goes wrong.

You want it, do it. Life is short and you don't know what tomorrow has in store for you...

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I really want to go to this, not sure I got the holiday time. If I book Monday-Thursday off, I will then have three spare days to use by the end of March, just in case anything goes wrong.

You want it, do it. Life is short and you don't know what tomorrow has in store for you...

Same as yesterday did, and the day after that. Living with my bucking parents, whilst friends of mine are getting married and having kids. <laugh>

Not bitter, I'm not bitter.

Postby SnookerFan

I love live snooker. :love: Honestly, there's no feeling like it. Whilst the rest of my life falls down around me, that's what keeps me alive.

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:I'd go - it might be the last ever Welsh Open

You reckon?

Postby SnookerFan

wheelsofsteel wrote:Don't see any good reasons to keep it going

Because it's awesome. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I probably won't to be honest. My solicitors have told me 'I should be in my new flat by the end of January' but I don't believe that for a second. I should really be as avaialable as I possibly can to pay sign forms and pay money.

Postby SnookerFan

I still can't decide whether to go to this or not. I've had The World Open off work, and will have The Masters off, and both will be sat in the middle of nowheresville, with family, rather then sitting in my flat ordering pizza, and enjoying the peace and quiet.

If there's a God in heaven, I'll be out of here by the end of January. With my annual leave left, I might be able to get the Welsh Open off. Do I go up to Wales for a few days, or do I stay and finally, after the most difficult few months of my life, enjoy some peace and quiet at home, being able to watch snooker as much as I want, in any way that I want. Or do I buy tickets to Wales to give myself something to look forward to?

And what if my flat stuff isn't sorted by the end of January? And I'm needed to sign stuff, or pay money? Maybe I'll see nearer the time. I'm really, really torn on this issue.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:

I have gone for it. Booked yet more Annual Leave, got tickets to day 1 and day 2. Booked a coach up there. :D Just got to decide which of the many one-star hotels to stay in once I get to Newport.