Post a reply

Changes to the Changes?

Postby PLtheRef

Shortly before the UK Championship, I heard from a colleague that the 2010 UK Championships were planned to be the final one under the 17-17-17-17-19 format and that the tournament was set to be reduced to best of 13 frame matches in the first two rounds, best of 15 frame quarters and semis with a best of 17 frame final. Since the final last sunday - apparently these changes look set to be dropped by WS

Re: Changes to the Changes?

Postby PLtheRef

hmm, the plan being that you get to use just two tables. They had best of 13 for the first round a while back - when 48 went to the finals but that returned to 17 frames for the last 32.

Changing it to 15 and 17 wouldnt be popular, but not huge either. - But its good to see its open to negotiation and that they may be dropping these changes.

Postby Roland

In the words of wildJONESEYE they deserve a bullet to the head if they reduce the format. bucking idiots for even considering it.

It's obvious. How it was before it went to Telford is how it should always be. Best of 17 is the MINIMUM it should be for such a big event.

Getting some of the last 32 matches out of the way before the televised stages is a necessary evil and it means the viewer can follow the rest of the last 32 and everything else until the end.

Postby GJ

the problem is bloody telford

not the format

Postby Tubberlad

They have to drop that plan... a bloody awful idea.

I have a very bad feeling the World Championship is going to be tampered with, and the UK being messed with would only make me more paranoid.

Postby Roland

I told Suzy to pass on the message to Davis at Telford that his comments about reducing the world final went down very badly with the fans.

Postby Tubberlad

If the UK is reduced, I'll be on a plane over and doing everything Wild has threatened to do. Except for jacking John Higgins off with a JCB...

Postby PLtheRef

Well these changes arent as drastic as cutting the required frames to win a ranking event from 30 to 17 as the WO proposed, its still fairly long matches and as I said the tournament used to be best of 13 frame first round. - Plus taken context that these were proposed before the UK Champs got underway.

Not that I endorse any negative change to the format

Postby Wildey

TPtheirishstud wrote:If the UK is reduced, I'll be on a plane over and doing everything Wild has threatened to do. Except for jacking John Higgins off with a JCB...

rofl

but seriously there's good ideas and there's ideas for the sake of it this will kill the UK Flat.

everything thats been done to this event over the last 20 years has been negative and reduced it prestige from moving it around like gypsies to reducing the final and a 4 table set up in a hell hole like telford (i dont say that lightly ive been there so i have first hand experience) this will be the final nail in the UK Coffin :rip:

reconsider if its a genuine plan for buck sakes and for the good of snooker this tournament needs extending not reduced believe me.

Postby PLtheRef

This is the thing Wild, it would appear that they are reconsidering it, - the rather high viewing figures online and on TV for the climax may have helped a touch.

Postby Tubberlad

wildJONESEYE wrote:
TPtheirishstud wrote:If the UK is reduced, I'll be on a plane over and doing everything Wild has threatened to do. Except for jacking John Higgins off with a JCB...

rofl

but seriously there's good ideas and there's ideas for the sake of it this will kill the UK Flat.

everything thats been done to this event over the last 20 years has been negative and reduced it prestige from moving it around like gypsies to reducing the final and a 4 table set up in a hell hole like telford (i dont say that lightly ive been there so i have first hand experience) this will be the final nail in the UK Coffin :rip:

reconsider if its a genuine plan for buck sakes and for the good of snooker this tournament needs extending not reduced believe me.

<ok> <ok> <ok>

Postby Wildey

Paddy

there needs to be a balance struck between new initiatives and to quote Barry Hearn "Crown Jewel's" of the sport.

the last time there was a increase in a tournament was the Masters 1996 and WC Semi Finals 1997 since then everything been on reduction and theres no proof that whats needed in the sport.

yes there needed different formats but different can mean longer as well as shorter. They are barking up the wrong tree on this and sometimes when a dog barks he will bite off someone's bullocks.

Postby Wildey

its good to see that they are reconsidering but im angry they even contemplated it.

ive enjoyed this years UK Very much and theres been classic games but there was to much played in cubicles it needs changing but not reducing frames we just want the chance to see more matches.

Postby Roland

Yeah forget being happy they are reconsidering. The fact is they should never have considered it in the first place. Morons.

Postby Tubberlad

Doesn't Barry Hearn read forums? I thought he did! Did he not promise us the 'blue riband' events would not be touched (World, Masters, UK)... has he not noticed how many people want an EXTENDED UK Championship, and an end to that bullock four table set up?

This is ridiculous. To consider it even was moronic.

Postby Wildey

the timing of the UK is pretty poor aswell.

people saving for christmas and what does WS Do put on a tournament in a Frezzer in December <doh>

Postby Wildey

TPtheirishstud wrote:Doesn't Barry Hearn read forums? I thought he did! Did he not promise us the 'blue riband' events would not be touched (World, Masters, UK)... has he not noticed how many people want an EXTENDED UK Championship, and an end to that bullock four table set up?

This is ridiculous. To consider it even was moronic.

god there's been enough polls on it

like happy hour in a poll dancing club <laugh>

Postby PLtheRef

wildJONESEYE wrote:Paddy

there needs to be a balance struck between new initiatives and to quote Barry Hearn "Crown Jewel's" of the sport.

the last time there was a increase in a tournament was the Masters 1996 and WC Semi Finals 1997 since then everything been on reduction and theres no proof that whats needed in the sport.

yes there needed different formats but different can mean longer as well as shorter. They are barking up the wrong tree on this and sometimes when a dog barks he will bite off someone's balls.

I'm surprised its that far back - for a Blue Riband your right though.

New ideas are always welcomed - the last thing the game needs is to be made stale - for my 2p I hope to god the tournament stays as it is, but I think that sometimes there can be room for changes.

Postby PLtheRef

wildJONESEYE wrote:the timing of the UK is pretty poor aswell.

people saving for christmas and what does WS Do put on a tournament in a Frezzer in December <doh>

I think its the right time - the late Autumn, builds up to the winter and christmas.

Personally I think this will go back to its November slot in due course, especially with the advent of a World Cup being on the horizon.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:the timing of the UK is pretty poor aswell.

I think its the right time - the late Autumn, builds up to the winter and christmas.

Personally I think this will go back to its November slot in due course, especially with the advent of a World Cup being on the horizon.

its in the right window but to close to christmas....

i missed one afternoon early matches the G/F wanted the bloody trimmings up and im sure there was christmas shopping nagging going on up and down the country.

Postby PLtheRef

which again means having the slot filled by a non ranking event such as the WC would be a good idea - like the World Doubles used to do

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:which again means having the slot filled by a non ranking event such as the WC would be a good idea - like the World Doubles used to do

Yes a 1 table invitational or the Doubles.

Postby Tubberlad

To be honest, my favourite time slot for the UK was finishing on the Sunday before Christmas...

Postby Wildey

TPtheirishstud wrote:To be honest, my favourite time slot for the UK was finishing on the Sunday before Christmas...

but i was nagged for watching it with so much to do before christmas <doh>

god knows the reaction if i said im off to telford

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I don't see the fuss. They looked at changes that could be made to get every match on TV but it looks like they changed their minds. That's what they're supposed to do as everybody accepts the tounament needs some changes.. You can't really criticise them for some that they never went through with. People would be against it more in principal than anything else as it would have made little difference to the semi's or final which would still have been great matches.

I'd like to see it go back to being a 64 man tournament with TV coverage from the last 16 on. It'll never happen for the obvious reasons but most top players would still be there for the TV stages anyway. It would have meant no O'Sullivan this year but it's not like he did anything much this year. A few L32 Matches could be held over anyway. You could even have internet steaming for some of the pre TV matches. It would mean no shortening of matches.

Postby Monique

I REALLY don't see the fuss! It's hearsay and apparantly it's been dropped ...
If the book was thrown at us for everything that we ever consider in out minds our life would be hell and most of us in jail.
Not to mention that IF (note the IF) the counterpart of that would be that no more matches were played in cubicles I'd be all for it and it would only be good for snooker.

Postby PLtheRef

Monique wrote:I REALLY don't see the fuss! It's hearsay and apparantly it's been dropped ...
If the book was thrown at us for everything that we ever consider in out minds our life would be hell and most of us in jail.
Not to mention that IF (note the IF) the counterpart of that would be that no more matches were played in cubicles I'd be all for it and it would only be good for snooker.

Good point Monique, its interesting to see ideas coming through, plus although I hate the idea of shortening matches, its not as radical as the idea of cutting down to a best of 21 world final - which would be a real radical worry for the sport.

The way I see the format being if this had been adopted was that the rounds to the quarters would have been best of 13 (6/7) the semis best of 15 (7/8) and the final best of 17 (7/10) Its the only feasible way of having the nine day tournament

Have two matches on each table - 12noon start and play the first session of each before the final sessions in the evening.

The one thing though is that the Semis would be a 2 table affair again.

First Round Sat-Tue
Second Round Wed-Thu
Quarter-Finals - Fri
Semi-Finals - Sat
Final - Sun

If they went to Preston then why not have the same format continued - they have had 3 table and 4 table (tv) situations in the past.

Postby Roland

To be honest I find the whole idea of snooker fans arguing over how best to shorten one of the two longer events very depressing. The debate should be going the other way and how to increase it.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I don't see the fuss. They looked at changes that could be made to get every match on TV but it looks like they changed their minds. That's what they're supposed to do as everybody accepts the tounament needs some changes.. You can't really criticise them for some that they never went through with. People would be against it more in principal than anything else as it would have made little difference to the semi's or final which would still have been great matches.

I'd like to see it go back to being a 64 man tournament with TV coverage from the last 16 on. It'll never happen for the obvious reasons but most top players would still be there for the TV stages anyway. It would have meant no O'Sullivan this year but it's not like he did anything much this year. A few L32 Matches could be held over anyway. You could even have internet steaming for some of the pre TV matches. It would mean no shortening of matches.

FUSS IS SIMPLE

Never even THINK about it.

Extend the UK to 2 Weeks then there wont be any problems only bucking pin ends could even think of that :grrr: and pin ends snake hiss me off <ok>