Post a reply

Big bouncers

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Hi,

I hope that this is the right place for the question:

Often professionals complain of a 'big' bounce from a cushion. Obviously they are far more aware than I am as I often cannot detect an increase in speed. My question is - how can this happen? Surely a ball can only rebound at the same speed (or less) than it strikes a cushion at unless spin is applied.

How can a cushion contain energy to transmit to a ball?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: Big bouncers

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Hi,

Often professionals complain of a 'big' bounce from a cushion. Obviously they are far more aware than I am as I often cannot detect an increase in speed. My question is - how can this happen? Surely a ball can only rebound at the same speed (or less) than it strikes a cushion at unless spin is applied.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I think it has to do with softer and harder spots in the rubber of the cushion.

Re: Big bouncers

Postby Sickpotter

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Hi,

Thanks for any thoughts.

There are a couple of possible causes for getting a big bounce but for the most part in the professional game it's caused by brand new cushions.

More uncommon is the cushions being set a bit off creating a pinch effect which can cause the ball to spit off the cushion.

You'll see the first happen quite frequently in clubs. The cushion area just beneath the black spot is hit quite frequently and will gradually produce less of a bounce than other cushions not seeing constant impacts.