Post a reply

Routines for 10-20 break players

Postby Tonsgalore

Are you a player who is stuck on a break? Have you reached what you believe is the best you can be?

I can promise you that these easy routines I will be setting out over the next few weeks will help you gain confidence, cue ball control, and break building among other attributes to get you out of that situation.

I will be doing a video challenge to see who really wants to get involved in this topic and progress to the next level.
These routines are basic and they work very well. I will set challenges for you to clearly show that you are getting better.
I look forward to working with you all and will be back soon.

Re: Routines for 10-20 break players

Postby Master Blaster

Tonsgalore wrote:Are you a player who is stuck on a break? Have you reached what you believe is the best you can be?

I can promise you that these easy routines I will be setting out over the next few weeks will help you gain confidence, cue ball control, and break building among other attributes to get you out of that situation.

I will be doing a video challenge to see who really wants to get involved in this topic and progress to the next level.
These routines are basic and they work very well. I will set challenges for you to clearly show that you are getting better.
I look forward to working with you all and will be back soon.

Looking fwd to this, we can all do with some basic routines no matter what level we are at. Sometimes things go wrong, sometimes we simply need to pot some easy balls to get the cue arm and eye going. No routine is pointless.

Postby Tonsgalore

I do want to clarify here that I am not a professional coach and any routines I put on here are the routines that helped my game. I believe they can help you too but I do not guarantee it.

Lets start with a basic routine to get you hitting the ball correctly and this will also get you knowing the FEEL each shot needs to get the cue ball exactly where you want it.

Put the blue on its spot and pot it in to the middle bag. Simple.

The challenge. (Do this routine 5 times and count how many times you miss)
Pot the blue but use top spin to follow the blue in a straight line in to the same middle pocket with the cue ball.The challenge will give you practice on cueing straight and your top spin control. (You do not need to hit this shot hard, it is about feeling the shot and more importantly feeling the cue and the control you will have over the cue ball. Because this shot is so simple people get complacent and lose concentration. This happens a lot with what we see as the easy shots. Stay down on the shot until both balls are in the pocket.

The next routine is this,
The same as the previous routine but SCREW the white in to the opposite pocket. Same rules apply as before. This shot will give you the feel and control of the screw shot. (Do this routine 5 times and count how many shots you miss.

When doing these routines make sure you stay down on the shot until you need to move. Obviously on the screw shot you will need to move to allow the cue ball to come back in to the pocket you are leaning over while taking the shot.

Let us all know how it goes and if you can put a video up we can all see how its going.

More routines to follow.

All the best
Tonsgalore

Postby Master Blaster

Tonsgalore wrote:I do want to clarify here that I am not a professional coach and any routines I put on here are the routines that helped my game. I believe they can help you too but I do not guarantee it.

Lets start with a basic routine to get you hitting the ball correctly and this will also get you knowing the FEEL each shot needs to get the cue ball exactly where you want it.

Pot the blue but use top spin to follow the blue in a straight line in to the same middle pocket with the cue ball.The challenge will give you practice on cueing straight and your top spin control. (You do not need to hit this shot hard, it is about feeling the shot and more importantly feeling the cue and the control you will have over the cue ball. Because this shot is so simple people get complacent and lose concentration. This happens a lot with what we see as the easy shots. Stay down on the shot until both balls are in the pocket.

The same as the previous routine but SCREW the white in to the opposite pocket. Same rules apply as before. This shot will give you the feel and control of the screw shot. (Do this routine 5 times and count how many shots you miss.

When doing these routines make sure you stay down on the shot until you need to move. Obviously on the screw shot you will need to move to allow the cue ball to come back in to the pocket you are leaning over while taking the shot.

Let us all know how it goes and if you can put a video up we can all see how its going.

More routines to follow.

All the best
Tonsgalore

The top-spin shot is great, just make sure that a stick-on spot doesn't throw the white off straight! It's deceptively easy looking but much harder to do. This routine teaches you how to use the whole pocket as well, when you have to correct the white back to centre line. I'll have a crack tomorrow bud. :-)

Postby Tonsgalore

Master Blaster wrote:
Tonsgalore wrote:I do want to clarify here that I am not a professional coach and any routines I put on here are the routines that helped my game. I believe they can help you too but I do not guarantee it.

More routines to follow.

All the best
Tonsgalore

The top-spin shot is great, just make sure that a stick-on spot doesn't throw the white off straight! It's deceptively easy looking but much harder to do. This routine teaches you how to use the whole pocket as well, when you have to correct the white back to centre line. I'll have a crack tomorrow bud. :-)

As I said before it sounds easier than it really is. This shot will get you aiming correctly. Also remember to feather the cue action at the same pace for top spin and screw back. Lots of people think that because they are screwing a shot they have to feather quicker which will always make you hit the ball harder. This shot is all about the cue control and knowing exactly where to hit the ball. If you dont hit the top of the cue ball it wont follow through how you want it to and you will create more stun. The same for the screw shot, you have to hit as much of the bottom of the cue ball as possible without chipping the white and potentially ripping the table.

On Monday I will go through a routine that I work on to help me clear the colors off their spots. Again people take these easy shots for granted, but ask yourself this, how many players do you actually see confidently clear the colors.
My routine will help you do it.

Postby Tonsgalore

Anyone tried this yet?

I'd like to hear how you did. What you found harder, top spin or screw back?

Now let's try the same shot with stun.

Place the blue on its spot and the White 12-24 inches away from it in a straight line. Pot the blue with stun to leave the cue ball on the blue spot. To do this all you need to do is hit the cue ball dead centre. Remember to feather the cue and hot the ball firmly but not hard.

The challenge,
Do all three routines, stun, top spin and screw counting how many shots you make. Practicing this routine will give you confidence when playing because your cue ball control will be better. Again this is easy and basic and in a few days we will be doing a variation of the line up routine, all be it a very easy one.

Good luck and I look forward to your feedback

Postby Cue Guru

Some good drills for cue ball control there Tons. May I hijack your thread and include this one that I thought of for Eraserhead please?Image

Pot the apple in the yellow pocket. Only kidding! Pot a red, black, red, black and so on. 8 pots in total and will help folk get used to making breaks using the black. First red goes near the pink spot. Use the top spin, stun, stun-run-through and screw skills from Tons routines to help you maneuver the white where you want it for the next ball. Try to think three shots ahead before you get down.

Postby eraserhead

Thanks Cue Guru any tips on judging potting angles? For example when the white is low on the black and the pocket not in my eyeline I'll struggle to pot those consistently.

Postby Cue Guru

eraserhead wrote:Thanks Cue Guru any tips on judging potting angles? For example when the white is low on the black and the pocket not in my eyeline I'll struggle to pot those consistently.

Blind pocket shots are tricky for everyone. The only answer I know of is to practice them a lot and gain confidence that way. Try this and let us know! Neil Maxman is a very good coach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WActC0bJ55k

Postby Tonsgalore

Cue Guru wrote:Some good drills for cue ball control there Tons. May I hijack your thread and include this one that I thought of for Eraserhead please?Image

Pot the apple in the yellow pocket. Only kidding! Pot a red, black, red, black and so on. 8 pots in total and will help folk get used to making breaks using the black. First red goes near the pink spot. Use the top spin, stun, stun-run-through and screw skills from Tons routines to help you maneuver the white where you want it for the next ball. Try to think three shots ahead before you get down.

A great little routine and thanks for putting up Guru. I will just like to add that people should try this with two reds first. Then ad another red when you confidently clear them. Dont worry if it takes you a while. Keep practicing the blue routines and then move on to this one. I will have more time tomorrow to explain in more detail

Postby Cue Guru

Tonsgalore wrote:
Cue Guru wrote:Some good drills for cue ball control there Tons. May I hijack your thread and include this one that I thought of for Eraserhead please?Image

A great little routine and thanks for putting up Guru. I will just like to add that people should try this with two reds first. Then ad another red when you confidently clear them. Dont worry if it takes you a while. Keep practicing the blue routines and then move on to this one. I will have more time tomorrow to explain in more detail

True, 2RB is a good idea. It only involves 3 shots and that's how many we should think ahead. Then 3RB, then 4RB, then line-up. rofl

Postby Cue Guru

Cue Guru wrote:
Tonsgalore wrote:

True, 2RB is a good idea. It only involves 3 shots and that's how many we should think ahead. Then 3RB, then 4RB, then line-up. rofl

Let's also chuck in 1B. Eraserhead, spend 15mins potting the black off its spot. This will help deal with cuts to the black pocket. See how many in a row you can pot. You'll need to use the full variety of plain ball, top spin, stun, run-through and screw to maintain ideal position.

For the 2RB-4RB and for 1B you want to try and stay on the invisible 18'' lines that run parallel to the line down the spots. This keeps you about 18'' away from the cushions, gets your hand on the table and makes the pot half as easy as when the CB is on the cushion.

Postby Tonsgalore

Guys,

Lets remember why this thread was started. For players who struggle with break building. The 10-20 break players who struggle to get over that. I was that person and the routines I do helped me achieve great cue ball control and my break building went from 10-20 to regular match play 30-50 breaks.

Thinking ahead is important and 3 shots is the rule but think of it this way. After you have done the blue ball routine at the start of your practice session and you feel confident move on to this routine that Guru put up. I will take you through my routine for clearing the colours at a later date because we are now on to this routine.

Put 2 reds between pink and black with pink and black on their spots. line the cue ball directly behind a red to the corner pocket about 12 inches (It does not matter which side you prefer)
Walk around the table and look at where you want the white to be for that shot. Only concentrate on that single shot (Red to black)

1, Make the shot with top spin. Depending on how hard you hit the red with determine where the white lands and what angle you have on the black. You will NOT need to hit this shot hard. If you have hit this shot too hard then simply start again.

2,Remember you have the pink as well as the black, you can pot balls to the middle or the corners.

Try to clear just 2 reds with pink or black. Once you are confident on potting 2 reds with 2 colours then add a 3rd red and so on.

What you will notice is that doing this routine with you will bring in all the shots from the blue routine. You should only need to use screw, stun or top spin.

One thing to add is if the black or pink is slightly off centre (not dead straight) try stunning it in to see what angles it gives you on the shot.

This is all about trial and error to see what shots work at what angles.

Always remember to feather the cue evenly and do not hit the ball hard. This is soft or medium paced shots only.

Postby eraserhead

Thanks for the advice chaps. :hatoff:

I had a crack at the blue routine and and potting the blacks off the spot. I could play the blue with top spin a lot easier but I'm still not totally cueing straight as I couldn't consistently get the white in the opposite pocket. I struggled with the screw back. I noticed I took my eye off the object ball when screwing back so I will focus on that the next chance I get.

Postby Master Blaster

eraserhead wrote:Thanks for the advice chaps. :hatoff:

I had a crack at the blue routine and and potting the blacks off the spot. I could play the blue with top spin a lot easier but I'm still not totally cueing straight as I couldn't consistently get the white in the opposite pocket. I struggled with the screw back. I noticed I took my eye off the object ball when screwing back so I will focus on that the next chance I get.

A mistake all players can make, not looking at the target, confuses the brain and coordination goes with the cue usually going out or sometimes in as a result = missed pot. We sometimes do that due to lack of confidence or doubt about the shot. The answer is to make sure you look at the OB on delivery. I switch just as I've started the cue going forward. You have to say to yourself, it doesn't matter if I miss the pot because one pot is just one pot, my technique and how I cue correctly is far more important. And it's true, good habits are very important in snooker.

Postby Tonsgalore

eraserhead wrote:Thanks for the advice chaps. :hatoff:

When cueing the shot try not to think of potting the cue ball. Instead concentrate on your cueing and where you need to hit the cue ball to achieve screw back. Make sure you have the cue ball 12-24 inches away from the object ball and really focus on how your cue action feels and where to strike the ball. The importance of this screw shot is to give you accuracy and straight cueing. Keep trying. You WILL get there.

Postby Tonsgalore

This thread seems dead but I'll post another easy routine to get the confidence up.

Put the blue, pink and black on their spots. Place 4 reds between pink and black. Remove pink and black.
Pot each of the 4 reds with blues. You can make this harder by trying not to go in and out of bulk.