Post a reply

Glove on the bridge hand?

Postby Vojta1

Hi,
I recently started to play snooker and my mate advised me to use a glove on the bridge hand. I then started to use it and played already few times with, however what concerns me is that when I watch professionals in TV, almost nobody is using a glove. How is that? I now cannot imagine playing without it as when I try it the cueing is slightly harder than with a glow. Also my cue is not so smooth as other cues I tried.
Do the players do something to ease the cueing instead of having a glove? Do you generally recommend wearing a glove? What might be cons of having a glove?
I tried to search this topic already but no result, I'll be happy for any opinions.

Re: Glove on the bridge hand?

Postby snooky147

Some of the players use a glove in the Chinese events because of the humidity.

Postby Master Blaster

Vojta1 wrote:Hi,
I recently started to play snooker and my mate advised me to use a glove on the bridge hand. I then started to use it and played already few times with, however what concerns me is that when I watch professionals in TV, almost nobody is using a glove. How is that? I now cannot imagine playing without it as when I try it the cueing is slightly harder than with a glow. Also my cue is not so smooth as other cues I tried.
Do the players do something to ease the cueing instead of having a glove? Do you generally recommend wearing a glove? What might be cons of having a glove?
I tried to search this topic already but no result, I'll be happy for any opinions.

Snooky147 is correct, it's all about humidity. Humidity can be really heavy in the US, even in northern places like NYC, so it's no surprise to see them use gloves for pool. Selby famously wore a glove for an event in the far East. But in the UK and Europe it shouldn't be as much of a problem. Where do you play snooker and what brand of cue do you have, what type of shaft is it (ash/maple) and does it have a lacquer or oil finish (plain wood)? I ask these questions to try and understand what is happening when you cue. Thanks.

Golferson, Byrom, Bolton, Leo: come in buddies! :hatoff:

Postby Vojta1

I am playing in central europe, so humidity should not be the problem. The cue I have is Riley Shaun Murphy, material is ash and according to the supplier it should be 4 times lacquered. If I however compare this cue with some other cues, they are usually little bit smoother than my cue.

Postby Cue Guru

Vojta1 wrote:I am playing in central europe, so humidity should not be the problem. The cue I have is Riley Shaun Murphy, material is ash and according to the supplier it should be 4 times lacquered. If I however compare this cue with some other cues, they are usually little bit smoother than my cue.

Is the lacquer on the shaft of the cue?

If so, then you have two choices to make it less 'sticky' on your bridge

1. Lighty rub the shaft down with some sand/glass paper, maybe p320 grit, to make is pass over your bridge easier. Lacquer is ultra smooth and it grips your bridge, so making it rougher makes it glide better, less contact surface:

Over time, the shaft will become shiny with use. Simply rub it down again.

2. Wear your glove. If you are happy with the glove, there is nothing wrong with wearing one. The great artistic billiards player Venom uses a glove and I think it looks quite cool.

Another option is to remove all the lacquer off the shaft to reveal the ash, and then oil the wood underneath. But this is quite a messy option and if you haven't done it before, it can be very tricky.

Postby Tonsgalore

Smart wrote:Pool players wear the single glove a lot.

Also, Ronnie O'Sullivan used one at some point (trial ?).

I'm not sure why pool players use them so much, perhaps its due to the different cloth ??

I can't ever remember any snooker player using a glove. It's just not a snooker thing. The only players I've ever seen with a glove are the sherman tanks

Postby TheSaviour

The great thing about snooker which the pool billiards doesn´t have, is the pure joy of and from potting the single ball from a different angles. It really feels great, the way the cloth works and the sounds etc.. I don´t think you necessarly need the glove of any kind on the bridge hand when striking the ball. And that´s why snooker suits to anyone, just trying to pot a ball from a different angles. You will always find some really suprising people who can master that art.

But essentially snooker is the Irish people game. Only they have the brains and patience to ALSO leave the cue ball really well after the pot so that the break-building can realistically continue after let´s say 3 or 4 strokes later. For example O´Sullivan in Wales the previous week. I am happy that´s over now, that was quite an onslaught there. Now we have the normal service back, where every now and then some top player finds his depth and form and plays well in the patches. But only the Irish people can master such a silly game as snooker. It is a silly game when there is a cry of trying to leave the cue ball really good and not just to pot a single ball....

Postby Tonsgalore

TheSaviour wrote:The great thing about snooker which the pool billiards doesn´t have, is the pure joy of and from potting the single ball from a different angles. It really feels great, the way the cloth works and the sounds etc.. I don´t think you necessarly need the glove of any kind on the bridge hand when striking the ball. And that´s why snooker suits to anyone, just trying to pot a ball from a different angles. You will always find some really suprising people who can master that art.

But essentially snooker is the Irish people game. Only they have the brains and patience to ALSO leave the cue ball really well after the pot so that the break-building can realistically continue after let´s say 3 or 4 strokes later. For example O´Sullivan in Wales the previous week. I am happy that´s over now, that was quite an onslaught there. Now we have the normal service back, where every now and then some top player finds his depth and form and plays well in the patches. But only the Irish people can master such a silly game as snooker. It is a silly game when there is a cry of trying to leave the cue ball really good and not just to pot a single ball....

If it's only the Irish that can master it why is it that the English have been at the top of the game for so many years?
Some of your posts are obsurd.

Postby Pink Ball

TheSaviour wrote:The great thing about snooker which the pool billiards doesn´t have, is the pure joy of and from potting the single ball from a different angles. It really feels great, the way the cloth works and the sounds etc.. I don´t think you necessarly need the glove of any kind on the bridge hand when striking the ball. And that´s why snooker suits to anyone, just trying to pot a ball from a different angles. You will always find some really suprising people who can master that art.

You're a total bucking dingbat.