Post a reply

Practice Time

Postby snooker loopy

What sort of amount of practice time would I be looking at to get to 40-50 break standard given I'm currently at red, black, red, break down standard?

Re: Practice Time

Postby Sickpotter

Tough question....really depends on your level of natural talent.

How long have you been playing to reach your current level, how much actual table time is involved and what's your high break?

Postby snooker loopy

Sickpotter wrote:Tough question....really depends on your level of natural talent.

How long have you been playing to reach your current level, how much actual table time is involved and what's your high break?

My "natural talent" could best be described as somewhat lacking or as I prefer to put "needs bringing out from the deepest depths."

My highest break in a game against someone is 9, knocking balls about myself I've made a 20 (red, black, red, pink, red, blue).

I've not been playing that long, Used to play regular knockabout games but only got back into the game in the last month and can't afford to do much more than a couple of hours here and there. The position is the biggest struggling point.

Postby Sickpotter

There are some posts about various practice drills in the coaching section, I recommend you look at those to start.

Sounds like you've got some talent but improving will require dedication/hard work. How easily you can slip into a practice routine depends on your free time, money and desire. Seems like you've got the desire so practice hard, often and most importantly correctly.

Pay attention to developing solid fundamentals and a good pre-shot routine, don't just slash about the table without focus on your basics, you'll just solidify bad habits.

Postby TheSaviour

snooker loopy wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:Tough question....really depends on your level of natural talent.

My "natural talent" could best be described as somewhat lacking or as I prefer to put "needs bringing out from the deepest depths."

My highest break in a game against someone is 9, knocking balls about myself I've made a 20 (red, black, red, pink, red, blue).

I've not been playing that long, Used to play regular knockabout games but only got back into the game in the last month and can't afford to do much more than a couple of hours here and there. The position is the biggest struggling point.

I am not so sure you should be thinking of your natural talent or perhaps lacking it as you described.. You know the thing is that it is a totally different to watch snooker from television or live, and then trying to play yourself. Those are a two completely different things. I have saw it so many times that when some potentially a really great snooker players comes in to club with a great playing spirit and all, but then fastly the shame is so overwhelming that they wants to quit immediately. And then they start to harass and fooling around or something. That´s because they realise that their potting is not even a close, and situation won´t get any better with just some practise. Even if they would a brilliant pool players. That´s a real shame because usually they are possesing just the right attitude and spirit, and adds a lot to the club athmosphere.

But there´s a very good solution! I say that just try to play positional shots where the cue ball ends up a really close to the object ball. Potting a ball like that is million times easier than from the distance pro players pot balls. It really is. Even if the object ball needs to travel a long way. Id doesn´t matter, it´s still an easy to pot.